Meeks puts up 54

thebarnsback

Reaction score
Kentucky player Jodi Meeks puts up 54 points.
Man Tubby is a horrible recruiter. Hahaha thanks again UK fans.
Haha

What an amazing performance...on just 22 fg attempts to boot.

Tubby just doesn't know how to recruit talent...Meeks only scored 54? I wouldn't have recruited him either.

Scott Van Pelt even decided to post on the catspause. Crazy.

UKs rival board had over 5,000 registered members online tonight! WOW

What a bunch of raving lunatics some of them UK fans are. Talking about being preseason number #1 next year. Its always nice winning a road confrence game handily but my word. Meeks has the performance of his life and all of a sudden half of the fanbase thinks they are on the way to the final four and all of the problems are behind them. Call me silly but I dont see Meeks dropping 50 every night and carrying the Mildcats to the final 4. I cant imagine the scrutiny Tubby must of been under or Gillespe is now.

Where is the defense?

Tennessee is normally known for tenacious defense...I just watched the ESPN highlight reel of the game. Rarely did he have a hand in the face...amazing none the less.

Tennessee is normally known for tenacious defense...I just watched the ESPN highlight reel of the game. Rarely did he have a hand in the face...amazing none the less.

Actually, Tennessee has the worst half court defense in the country. They only defend by pressing in the frontcourt and challenging in the inbounds throw. Once the ball gets into the halfcourt, they basically shut off their defense. Meeks will never face a team the rest of the year that lets him get off his shots like Tennessee.

Coaches like Izzo, Pitino, and Tubby play hard-nosed defense no matter where in the court the ball is. Bruce Pearl is going to have a hard time getting to the Final Four if his team doesn't know how to stop players in the half court...no matter what kinda talent they have. Meeks would do good to get 15 points against Minnesota.

Tennessee is normally known for tenacious defense

The announcer (Brad Nessler?) said it was the sixth time this season someone scored a career-high against Tennessee.

I kept waiting for Meeks to glance over to the announcer's table and give the shoulder shrug on his way back up court....

Gillispie doing a nice job

with the Wildcats. Their scoring options are really pretty limited, Meeks and Patterson and that's about it. It's stange seeing a UK team not overly talented, but Gillispie has them on the right track. Looks like they're starting to play together and with some "toughness" that wasn't often apparent last season. In a weak SEC, they have a chance to win a lot of games.

A couple of things:

I had the good fortune of being able to watch Meeks twice his senior year as I was doing a lot of work down in Georgia at the time. I knew we had something special. He was ranked just behind Ellington and Gerald Henderson in the SG rankings and I was telling everyone who would listen that this kid was at least as good, if not better, than both. I made a "more athletic" Keith Bogans comparison at the time but I also saw a bit of Dwayne Wade in him with his floor vision. I also noticed he seemed to be more comfortable off the bounce as a shooter than just spotting up for 3.

He showed flashes of his ability his freshman season (the UofL game and the SEC tourney game against Miss State spring to mind) but I thought that Coach Smith was far too loyal to the upperclassman Crawford. Crawford was a nice player for us but he was limited and I never thought he had the ceiling that Meeks has.

Meeks wasn't a highly coveted prospect nationally despite being a 4 star Guard. Believe it or not some questioned his ability to shoot the perimeter jumpshot! I blame a lot of this on the guru's because if you're not playing national, AAU tourney's by the time you're in 7th grade most seem to believe you're "suspect" as a player. Meeks didn't start playing AAU until the summer after his sophmore year. He's an amazing athlete for a guy his size at 6'4 and 200 +lbs.

Tubby recruited Meeks and that's great for him (and us) but he also made more than his share of recruiting mistakes at Kentucky. Tubby deserves credit for some of this but Gillispie deserves a lot as well. We have a nice team with two All-American caliber players, two or three newcomers with some solid potential and tough, gritty, experienced role players. This team has a far higher ceiling than last year's and with the right draw who knows what could happen if this team gets on a hot streak. It happens all the time in sports and especially in College Basketball.

Edit: I should add that what Jodie did last night was amazing. I told my wife shortly after he hit his third 3 of the first half that Tony's record was going down. I never would have guessed he'd have broken Dan Issell's record. That's one I never thought I'd live to see broken even with the three point line today. Issell and his records at Kentucky are something you look at with awe and wish you could have been there to see it done. Just an amazing thing that happened last night in Knoxville and I'm glad me and my son were able to see it.

And to think that Rajon Rhondo would have been a Senior last year if he had stayed. It was surprising that Rajon stayed for a sophomore season. Most expected him to leave after one year.

Wait, I thought the rule at Kentucky was the new coach doesn't get any credit for the previous coach's players.

And to think that Rajon Rhondo would have been a Senior last year if he had stayed. It was surprising that Rajon stayed for a sophomore season. Most expected him to leave after one year.

Rajon and Coach Smith clashed a lot and little of it had to do with their actual relationship.

When Rajon went to Oak Hill he got away from a lot of "influences" that were involved with him as a younger man. His return to Kentucky didn't go as smooth (especially his sophmore year) because some of those influences were back in his ear. Most of this is second hand (or fourth) but a friend of a friend of a friend of Oak Hill's coach Steve Smith shared with me the opinon that the farther Rajon got from Louisville the better off he was.

To comment on Johnny's post: No, not everyone in Kentucky shares the same opinons. Just like any other big time program we have our good and our bad. A lot of people still like and respect Coach Smith and were sorry to see him leave the way he did. I think both parties (Minnesota and UK) are happy with where they are at though.

Wait, I thought the rule at Kentucky was the new coach doesn't get any credit for the previous coach's players.

Actually that rule was enacted in 1998 but it expired in 2007.

No one said Joe Hall got to FF in 1975 with Rupp's players.

No one said Eddie Sutton earned #1 seed in 1986 with Hall's players.

No one said Pitino nearly beat Duke in the famous NCAA game in 1992 with Sutton's players.

And no one is saying now that Gillispie is winning with Tubby's players.

I wonder why. Hmmm.

Actually that rule was enacted in 1998 but it expired in 2007.

No one said Joe Hall got to FF in 1975 with Rupp's players.

No one said Eddie Sutton earned #1 seed in 1986 with Hall's players.

No one said Pitino nearly beat Duke in the famous NCAA game in 1992 with Sutton's players.

And no one is saying now that Gillispie is winning with Tubby's players.

I wonder why. Hmmm.

Hall recruited every player on that roster. In fact, Coach Rupp badmouthed Joe B a lot right before his death both publically and privately. Joe B had to follow a legend and paid the price for it in the eyes of many older fans. He could never measure up to Coach Rupp...despite the fact that coach Rupp post-58 never really found the national success he had early on.

The less said about the Eddie Sutton tenure the better.

Jamal Mashburn was recruited by Pitino (as well as others) on that roster that played in the regional final against Duke. No offense to the Unforgettables but they were a different team with Mash.

Coach Smith won a national title at Kentucky. Yes, every player with the exception of Saul Smith was recruited and played for Pitino but that doesn't take away the fact that Coach Smith won it. The only real problem was his inability to get over the hump again and a slide in the overall record in conference play and some issues with recruiting. But hey it's easier to blame all those "whacky" UK fans for Coach Smith's problems.

Of course I know what you're actually hinting at and you should really save it. Racism exists in every facet of this nation and isn't concentrated within the Kentucky fanbase. The head-coach-in waiting for the Football Cats is a well loved Alumni and African American named Joker Phillips. The Defensive Coordinator is an African American. Do you know how many college football teams can say both their offensive and defensive coordinators are African-Americans? How about how many already have an African American in waiting to take over their program?

I'm not going to excuse individual behavior. Yahoos exist in every fanbase and they give everyone a bad name. I'm sure they're are some Gopher yahoos! People were ready to run Bill Self out of Lawerence until last season (and if Jason Richards hadn't missed that shot..Bill Self is probably the head coach of Oklahoma State today.) There were posts on a Carolina Message Board recently calling into question Roy Williams! West Virginia fans once burned Bobby Bowden in effigy right in front of his children. Alabama fans are notorious reactionaries. Ever been to a Yankees or a Red Sox game?

I really wish you and FOT would take your pissing matches to the other boards. At least FOT is a friend of our program, while you're not. You really have no business on this board and I'm not sure why you're not banned. No one cares that Tubby didn't recruit to your satisfaction at Kentucky. No one on this board wants to hear about your quibbles about Tubby. You should really careless. I'd much rather have discussions on this board about Gopher basketball and our players. FOT is a member of every Rivals board, so go find him there to argue back and forth, or do it in a PM. Can we leave this small board to Gopher fans, please? There's plenty of threads on CatsPause bashing Tubby everyday, so go there and have fun. Don't bring that crap here.

Top Bottom