Was Trevor Mbakwe Mishandled by Minnesota Golden Gophers' AD Joel Maturi?

No

Mbakwe is charged with felony assault of a woman. Maturi handled it correctly--allowing him to practice and attend classes on scholarship but not to play.

Mbakwe is charged with felony assault of a woman. Maturi handled it correctly--allowing him to practice and attend classes on scholarship but not to play.

Yup. Guilty before proven innocent, just like it says in our constitution.

Not this argument again!

He is not "guilty before proven innocent" because there is a pending trial to establish guilt or innocence.

Maturi is not charging Trevor with guilt, he is suspending eligibility until the trial is concluded. He also has stated he will reconsider the suspension should the July trial be delayed (again).

This would be a totally reasonable position if the AD had the courage to explain his position to TM prior to his enrollment at UM. Instead he told TM he could play and only then decided to suspend TM once he was enrolled and could not go elsewhere. Those who feel that the AD has upheld the integrity of the U by his handling of the situation need understand that the AD lied to a kid.

This would be a totally reasonable position if the AD had the courage to explain his position to TM prior to his enrollment at UM. Instead he told TM he could play and only then decided to suspend TM once he was enrolled and could not go elsewhere. Those who feel that the AD has upheld the integrity of the U by his handling of the situation need understand that the AD lied to a kid.

The lies are in your comments.

If you assume the trial was going to be completed last fall it was the correct decision. The problem occurs when it is delayed over a year.

You are impacting someones life and basketball career when he has not been found guilty of anything. The suspension should have been re-evaluated at some point when the delays started occuring. Maybe it was and decision to continue the suspension was made.

Would you care to back that up?

The facts are clear as day to those who look at them. But, since you're the one who made claims, (i.e., you said that Maturi told Mbakwe he could play and that Maturi 'lied') - why don't you support your claim? Publicly, Maturi was very clear that Mbawke's status in terms of playing in games was in limbo - you can find that information easily.

However, your claim appears to be that while Maturi told the public one thing, he was secretly telling Mbakwe that he would play. You're the one that needs to 'back that up'.

While you're at it, please rationalize why Mbakwe fled Florida in early April, was arrested and booked in jail in late April, yet at the end of July, Maturi had no clue on any details of the arrest.

It's an all around ugly situation, but cut the one-sided b.s. crap.

Up to this point, Maturi has played his cards right. However, if the legal process delays the trial into next season, he needs to re-evaluate the decision. It puts this situation in a unique gray area, and it is negatively impacting someone's life. A jury will have to decide whether or not the negative impact is deserved.

The facts are clear as day to those who look at them. But, since you're the one who made claims, (i.e., you said that Maturi told Mbakwe he could play and that Maturi 'lied') - why don't you support your claim? Publicly, Maturi was very clear that Mbawke's status in terms of playing in games was in limbo - you can find that information easily.

However, your claim appears to be that while Maturi told the public one thing, he was secretly telling Mbakwe that he would play. You're the one that needs to 'back that up'.

While you're at it, please rationalize why Mbakwe fled Florida in early April, was arrested and booked in jail in late April, yet at the end of July, Maturi had no clue on any details of the arrest.

It's an all around ugly situation, but cut the one-sided b.s. crap.

I agree the facts are clear. You can reference the post on GH by someone who was present when Maturi told his lie to Trevor. I think you know the one I mean. It is on this page. As far as the "Trevor being in limbo" comment, that is new to me. If it is so easy to find then you should have no trouble providing a link.
Is my point really so one sided. I believe that Trevor should be given a trial before being treated punished. The AD feels that allowing him to play is against the principles of the U. Fair enough If that is the U's position then cut the kid loose and let him play elsewhere. If a trial determines his guilt he will certainly be punished.
You however seem to have an anti -Trevor agenda. Still miffed because he left Marquette?

Facts

I agree the facts are clear. You can reference the post on GH by someone who was present when Maturi told his lie to Trevor. I think you know the one I mean. It is on this page. As far as the "Trevor being in limbo" comment, that is new to me. If it is so easy to find then you should have no trouble providing a link.

Again, please rationalize why Mbakwe fled Florida in early April, was arrested and booked in jail in late April, yet at the end of July, Maturi had no clue on any details of the arrest.

Your 'clear facts' are that someone created an account a few days ago on a message board and posted that they were "present when Maturi told his lie to Trevor." Not sure that sounds real factual.

Trevor being in limbo... what is new to you? It's pretty easy to find. A few examples:

August 27, Marcus Fuller talks about how the U may not even grant admission

"I've been hearing that Mbakwe has done what was neccessary academically to become eligible to transfer, but it will be up to the U admission's if he becomes a student on Sept. 8. After that, it's athletic director Joel Maturi's decision to suspend Mbakwe from the team or let him play until his trial for alleged felony battery."

--------
September 8, Maturi makes it clear that he'll let the kid practice, but says the rest is in limbo.

September 8, 2009

"Minnesota basketball recruit Trevor Mbakwe, who goes to trial in December to face a felony battery charge, will be allowed to practice with the team prior to the start of the season, said athletic director Joel Maturi, who made the ruling Tuesday.

Maturi, however, said Mbakwe has not been cleared to play for the team during the upcoming season. He said he’ll make that decision prior to the team’s Nov. 13 opener against Tennessee Tech. Maturi said he’s comfortable with Mbakwe participating in preseason practices, which began Tuesday.

“I have to decide the positives and negatives of this," Maturi said. "Here’s a young man who claims he’s innocent. And I don’t know if he is or not. I don’t believe there’s any harm to anybody to allow him to practice. He is a student-athlete at the University of Minnesota. We recruited him. He’s been accepted by admissions. He’s part of the student body. And so, in some ways, I don’t think it was a very difficult decision to be able to make at all.”

-----------
September 9, others report on the story...

http://www.ballinisahabit.net/2009_09_06_archive.html

Former Marquette and Miami Dade forward Trevor Mbakwe has enrolled at Minnesota. That's good news for the Golden Gophers, as Mbakwe is talented enough that he will compete for a starting spot along the front line.

Problem is, he may not be eligible, at least right away. You see, a woman accused Mbakwe of assaulting her back in early April. Mbakwe says it was a case of mistaken identity and that he has four witnesses putting him at a different location....

Mbakwe's lawyer is trying to push the court date back until after the season, which makes Maturi's decision that much more difficult.

------------
When he visited Memphis (although per Sid, his friends say he told them he didn't visit Memphis.. so maybe this is all a conspiracy)... even Memphis reporters acknowledge the situation being in limbo until November...

http://blogs.commercialappeal.com/the_memphis_edge/2010/05/trevor-mbakwe-and-memphis.html

"Mbakwe was basically in limbo last season until another legal situation popped up involving Royce White."

We don't know why Trevor left Florida when he did. It could've been because he was guilty. It could've been because he was threatened and left for safety reasons.

I concede. It is apparent that Trevor knew or should have known there was a chance Maturi would suspend him. It was his mistake to enroll here rather than transfer to a school that would let him play.

Yup. Guilty before proven innocent, just like it says in our constitution.
How about the other side. Too many time school's let the kids get their trial continued until after the season. Sometime the season is their Sr. year sometimes it is not. Lat year I believe this matter was handled correctly. If it has not come to trial by Sept., our AD needs to get more info on this matter and revisit his decision.

If you'll recall, Ray...

...Trevor signed his Letter of Intent BEFORE the allegation and arrest came to light.

The "adults" in this case are Joel and Tubby. Let's hope that the trial date doesn't change and we incur no more distractions in this matter.

I've said this multiple times, but I'll say it again.

Without the Royce White sideshow, I believe Trevor would have been cleared to play last year.

Mike S- I beleive that you were right then and I beleive that you are right now. IMO unless TM is found guilty b4 the start of the season he'll be cleared to play pending a finding of the court.

Not this argument again!

He is not "guilty before proven innocent" because there is a pending trial to establish guilt or innocence.

Maturi is not charging Trevor with guilt, he is suspending eligibility until the trial is concluded. He also has stated he will reconsider the suspension should the July trial be delayed (again).

No defendant is ever PROVEN "innocent" but rather Guilty or Not Guilty.

Look, I was being sarcastic. Obviously, the court system will determine guilt or innocence in the case.

The problem I have is that the school is stepping in and dramatically affecting this kids life based on accusations made by the accuser. He is being severely punished by the school by making him take a year or even two off of competitive basketball based on those accusations. I personally don't see how this is anything other than being treated as guilty by the school.

Why can't the school let the court do their job? If he's found guilty, then the school should hand down punishment.

Why can't the school let the court do their job? If he's found guilty, then the school should hand down punishment.

Trevor could have ended this long ago by not delaying his case repeatedly. The vast majority of the delays were requested by him. He had a right to a speedy trial which he waived. He knows he won't play until it is resolved (at least when the delays are by his choice).

Why is this so difficult for people to understand?

Gopher jake.. you don't know what your talking about NONE of the delays were by trevors choice. NONE. Please get informed. Thanks.

He also did not waive his right to a speedy trial. There were a couple of the many delays requested by trevors lawyer.. not trevor.. because trevors key witnesses were out of the state. And it is very expensive to subpeona out of state. Please stop talking about the case like you know it. All you know is what you see online or in the paper. Ignorant. I am with him everyday.. and have been in every step of this case. So if you keep stating false facts I will be here to correct you. If trevors lawyer hadn't postponed the trial.. guess what? It would have still been postponed .. actually.. the prosecution still hasn't gone to the scene of the crime or given me my deposition.. so shhhh. Thanks again :)

gopherfan1 claims to have a unique perspective on the TM situation. I, for one, am very likely to believe what she asserts. I've been watching her posts for the past couple of weeks and don't find any reason to question her creditability or her knowledge of the facts. Let's get on the positive side of this and hope that TM is on the team until there is some evidence that he can't be. An accusation isn't sufficient evidence to deny him, the Gophers, and the fans the satisfaction and enjoyment of him being part of the team NOW.

the prosecution still hasn't gone to the scene of the crime or given me my deposition.. so shhhh. Thanks again :)

If that's true, it speaks volumes about the Miami DA's office, which is not shocking. Maturi needs to put the onus where it belongs if this gets delayed again and just let the kid play until the bumblers in charge of this get it together.

If that's true, it speaks volumes about the Miami DA's office, which is not shocking. Maturi needs to put the onus where it belongs if this gets delayed again and just let the kid play until the bumblers in charge of this get it together.

+1

Gopher jake.. you don't know what your talking about NONE of the delays were by trevors choice. NONE. Please get informed. Thanks.

@gopherfan1

First of all, I make no presumption about Trevor's guilt or innocence. I really have no idea and have never stated anything to the contrary regarding that. I very much understand that the newspapers don't give me enough information to make any kind of even educated guess on that.

While I appreciate your supposed unique perspective, and I most certainly hope Trevor is innocent and is exonerated, you need to understand that when a person retains a lawyer, he/she authorizes the lawyer to act on his/her behalf. In other words, whatever the lawyer asks for is really what the client - in this case Trevor - is asking for.

So, again:

Trevor has waived his right to a speedy trial.

Trevor has repeatedly asked for delays in his case.

This could have been settled long ago - one way or another - Trevor, via his lawyer, decided that it was in his best interests to delay the trial. Repeatedly.

Top Bottom