Calipari's comment at NBA Draft

Kinda' figured his comment wouldn't sit well with some of the former Wildcats, especially the ones that won a championship. But as the writer points out, everything Slick Cal does is calculated. We can argue about his methods but not his success.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/th...ild_about_john_caliparis_draft_night_comments

He had 5 first round draft picks and didn't win the championship. And according to the NCAA i dont think he has ever even made a final four.

Kinda' figured his comment wouldn't sit well with some of the former Wildcats, especially the ones that won a championship. But as the writer points out, everything Slick Cal does is calculated. We can argue about his methods but not his success.

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/th...ild_about_john_caliparis_draft_night_comments

I couldn't believe he said that. As to the article- short term he may be great, but they will eventually regret the fools gold he brings when they go on probation and he heads for a new venue.

I wonder what the goal of the Kentucky Athletic program is. The comment about his 2010 and 2011 recruiting classes was telling, I doubt it will result in success in the NCAA tournament though. More one and done's. I would think this will get old for the kentucky following.

Might as well be an NBA development league team.

His statement reminds me of a politician trying to change the perception of reality. I'm glad Issel jumped on it.

Coach Cal Misspoke (I Think)

The 1947 UK roster had 12 players on it who were eventually drafted by NBA teams, many in 1st round (back then).

The 47 Wildcats were #1 team but got upset in NIT championship game. Back then NIT = NCAA in terms of prestige.

Calipari lost the E8 game in 2010 (in part) because Huggins was the opposing coach. Huggs is 8-1 all-time versus Calipari coached teams.

What he meant to say:

This is the greatest night in the history of Cal, Inc. and for the continued demise of the term student athlete.

Reminds me a lot of Badger fans. Since he doesn't have national championships to talk about, you gotta find something else to hang your hat on.

Seems straight out of the Rick Barnes line of thinking, "Our first concern is getting players to the NBA" (I'm paraphrasing) from earlier in the year. These two are among the best recruiters, if not the best, in college basketball and both share a stark lack of NCAA tourney success for all that talent that's been on their rosters. Their message to recruits is they'll be given a golden opportunity to showcase themselves on their pit stop to the NBA. And frankly, will any AD remove Barnes or Calipari when they bring talents like Durant, Wall, Cousins, T.J. Ford, D.J. Augustin, Derrick Rose, Tyreke Evans to campus? They get a high profile during the regular season, lots of national pub, and if they flame out before they should, well that happens sometimes, right?

Hard to imagine ever hearing the likes of Izzo, Coach K, Roy Boy, et al. espousing those type of comments publicly. Of course, when you actually meet expectations by getting to Final Fours and/or winning national championships, you don't need spin.

Top Bottom