Kevin Noreen is headed to WVU

A nice landing place for Noreen. Going from BC to playing for Huggy/West Virginia is certainly an upgrade. Will be interesting to see if he turns into a legit Big East player.

That is ridiculous that we didn't want him. WVU is currently a better basketball program and they find this white kid in Minnesota, THAT MEANS HE IS GOOD.

I would have rather signed Noreen than Oto, personally.

That said...WVU??? This place is not very well regarded academically -- very low. This seems strange, as he seemed to be focusing on top notch academic private schools before this (Boston College, Northwestern, Duke). Very strange.

That is ridiculous that we didn't want him. WVU is currently a better basketball program and they find this white kid in Minnesota, THAT MEANS HE IS GOOD.

Or that they had a hole to fill in their roster and he met the need. Most reports on this board from people who have seen him play indicate he is a solid player but far from a can't miss prospect. The Gophers gave him a fair evaluation and decided against offering a scholarship. As Selection indicated, he has upgraded from BC and most of us will wish him well. I am not putting this in the Troy Bell category of terrible talent evaluation by the U coaches of a local player.

Noreen's ACT score might be higher than the rest of the WVU team combined.

WVU is an absolute garbage education.

Noreen's ACT score might be higher than the rest of the WVU team combined.

WVU is an absolute garbage education.

WVU had 990 APR score this year and graduated every senior.

Huggs has graduated every senior at WVU the past 3 seasons.

WVU had 990 APR score this year and graduated every senior.

Huggs has graduated every senior at WVU the past 3 seasons.

Their basketball team will actually receive a perfect score this year; the 990 is from 05-06 to 08-09... i.e. 2 years of pre-Thuggins.. and 2 years of part-Thuggins..

It's not a reputable school from an academics perspective and accepts most anyone that applies. Tuition to in-state kids about equals the cost of the average West Virginian's two month supply of Skoal.

Nonetheless, a very good basketball program and some of the kids in the program recently are great people. But, to put the 990 APR score on Huggins and to overstate the relevance of the APR score of a school in general,... and to infer that it's a great academic institution... all off base.

What? Are you saying Minnesota wanted Noreen, but he didn't want to come? Haha. I'd love to know where you get your "information."

FOT is 100% correct here (Wow, I can't believe I just said that).

Noreen was not interested in the Gophers out of spite because they shunned him early on the recruiting process. He basically told Tubby to pi$$ off....

FOT is 100% correct here (Wow, I can't believe I just said that).

Noreen was not interested in the Gophers out of spite because they shunned him early on the recruiting process. He basically told Tubby to pi$$ off....

yep I believe you as much as a I believe Sean Hannity on anything. You just say stuff that will get morons all pissed off.

Tuition to in-state kids about equals the cost of the average West Virginian's two month supply of Skoal.

Haha, nice.

I saw Huggins at the Wisconsin Coaches Association clinic last year and from some of the stories he was telling about their practices I don't know how he gets kids to want to play for him. Sounded pretty brutal and reinforced some of the pre-concieved notions I had about him. Then I saw how he reacted when his player got hurt towards the end of the year and I kind of changed my mind a little bit. So good luck to Kevin, I hope he is ready for a slightly more physical practice than he has ever had.

Could it be that Tubby was holding that scholarship for RW and lost the gamble?

Good for him, I wish him well.

HE didn't WANT Minnesota - not the other way around.

You are clueless on this situation FOT. Gophers barely gave Noreen the time of day from the start. Things didn't change much even after his recruitment opened up. While somewhat puzzling, gophers were never seriously interested.

Their basketball team will actually receive a perfect score this year; the 990 is from 05-06 to 08-09... i.e. 2 years of pre-Thuggins.. and 2 years of part-Thuggins..

It's not a reputable school from an academics perspective and accepts most anyone that applies. Tuition to in-state kids about equals the cost of the average West Virginian's two month supply of Skoal.

Nonetheless, a very good basketball program and some of the kids in the program recently are great people. But, to put the 990 APR score on Huggins and to overstate the relevance of the APR score of a school in general,... and to infer that it's a great academic institution... all off base.

Then look at Huggins APR scores in K-St. He graduated every senior there in 2007. Then every senior at WVU in 2008-09-10. Both had excellent APR scores those years.

You are clueless on this situation FOT. Gophers barely gave Noreen the time of day from the start. Things didn't change much even after his recruitment opened up. While somewhat puzzling, gophers were never seriously interested.

Regardless he declined any Gopher interest this spring.

Are you speaking from experience, Art?

"WVU is an absolute garbage education."

Do you know that for a fact, Art? It served my father well. That's where he got his Masters, and I think he turned out OK.

Education is what you make of it, no matter what school(s) you attend(ed).

Then look at Huggins APR scores in K-St. He graduated every senior there in 2007. Then every senior at WVU in 2008-09-10. Both had excellent APR scores those years.

Great example - praise him for 'graduating seniors' at a school he was at for one year.

Why don't you use his body of work? - which primarily includes one institution he was at for years?... recite some of those stats for me.

Great example - praise him for 'graduating seniors' at a school he was at for one year.

Why don't you use his body of work? - which primarily includes one institution he was at for years?... recite some of those stats for me.

Sure. He graduated 92% of his players in 8 years at Walsh College and Akron University.

He graduated about 40% of his lettermen at Cincinnati. I can list them if you want.

And now 100% of his seniors in 4 seasons (1 at K-St, 3 at WVU) since he left UC.

Do the math.

Sure. He graduated 92% of his players in 8 years at Walsh College and Akron University.

He graduated about 40% of his lettermen at Cincinnati. I can list them if you want.

And now 100% of his seniors in 4 seasons (1 at K-St, 3 at WVU) since he left UC.

Do the math.

I've done the math - it comes out to somewhere between pathetic and horrible. But it was his 'lack of character' that led to his removal from Cinci.

Nancy Zimpher, the Cincinnati president at the time, cited his "lack of character" as a reason she wanted him out. During his Cincinnati tenure, several Bearcats found legal trouble, only 28 percent of his players graduated, and the program went on probation in 1998.

You certainly like Thuggins and WVa... Maybe you can suggest a 'Numb Nut' chant or sign for the students to use next year?

Look, he's a good coach and I don't dislike him like I did years ago... but, the fact of the matter is that West Virginia is not a very reputable academic institution - there is consensus on that - and the fact is Huggins has a poor track record when it comes to the academic 'achievements' of his players.

So correct me if I'm mistaking. Tubby (or his assistants) show Noreen any interest until after he de-commits from BC. But we're already offering Shelby Moats before July starts? Noreen is a far better player then Moats. I think the Gophs are going to regret not making a run at Noreen. Not Bell like, but still regretable.

So correct me if I'm mistaking. Tubby (or his assistants) show Noreen any interest until after he de-commits from BC. But we're already offering Shelby Moats before July starts? Noreen is a far better player then Moats. I think the Gophs are going to regret not making a run at Noreen. Not Bell like, but still regretable.

SoMpls, this post is from awhile back, obviously.
-For the third day in a row, Minnesota has postponed a visit with Ben Brust. It is interesting how Tubby and Bo are going about this in completely different ways. Brust is suppose to take an unofficial to Wisc later this week. MN is going to wait it out until the BT says everything is good to go but is at risk of being too late.
-MN has had coaches all around the country recently and has looked at some juco guards but so far has been disappointed.
-Former Iowa recruit Cody Larson has committed to Florida. MN had no interest in Cody. He will be a very big loss for Iowa. The Hawkeyes are looking to fill his spot with 6'9, 220 PF Melsahn Basabe, a former Siena recruit from Massachusetts.
-In a suprising move, Tubby showed up at Transitions to watch and meet with Kevin Noreen now that he has been officially released from his BC LOI. MN. has always been somewhat lukewarm on Noreen and didn't recruit him very hard before his commitment. Not sure how Oto and Noreen would fit together, but it would be possible that it would allow Oto to redshirt as Noreen is a better post player and rebounder and more ready to play immediately. It also would give us a four recruits 6'9 or bigger. All speculation right now as its unclear how serious Tubby is but worth talking about.
-Keep hearing that MN will sign 6 this year so the small window for Royce to return is closing fast and he better act quick or else his spot will be gone.
-Pump N Run is hosting an AAU tournament this weekend in bloomington.

thats all i can think about for now, got to get to work.

I've done the math - it comes out to somewhere between pathetic and horrible. But it was his 'lack of character' that led to his removal from Cinci.

Nancy Zimpher, the Cincinnati president at the time, cited his "lack of character" as a reason she wanted him out. During his Cincinnati tenure, several Bearcats found legal trouble, only 28 percent of his players graduated, and the program went on probation in 1998.

You certainly like Thuggins and WVa... Maybe you can suggest a 'Numb Nut' chant or sign for the students to use next year?

Look, he's a good coach and I don't dislike him like I did years ago... but, the fact of the matter is that West Virginia is not a very reputable academic institution - there is consensus on that - and the fact is Huggins has a poor track record when it comes to the academic 'achievements' of his players.

He had graduated somewhere between 60% and 70% of his players in 28 years of coaching. Certainly above average for Div I head coaches.

Top Bottom