2010-2011 season predictions

KSBGopher

Reaction score
The Gophers, as they are, are in excellent shape. Most of us want to look past at the unfortunate issues that have plagued the Gophers for the past year...if not longer. With the lawsuit going against us, with Royce out the door and with Mbawke's transfer discussion it's difficult to imagine the ol' maroon and gold doing anything special in the BT. Most people say they will compete at the mid-level of the conference.

I can't help but think that this is nothing but the pessimism that has plagued a lot of Minnesota sports as of late. The Gophers are talented, athletic, and have a true passion for the game. With Nolen back, Hoff returning, a versatile DJ, and Iverson who somehow looks more impressive each year, I don't know how there could possibly be a negative feeling going into next year.

I've had the opportunity to be with both the coaches and the players on the team. I've felt the disappointment that accompanies each loss. Yet, never have I met a better group of athletes. Despite the drama of last year, the Gopher basketball team will be past that. They won't be around the middle of the BT next year. They will be ready for a run and the distractions from last year will be gone.

I am going to be bold and go with a 12-6 BT record next year for the Gophs...I wanted to get some other predictions to accompany it...

Love your optimism. I'm with you and believe the play at last year's Big Ten tourney was a confidence booster. I believe the chemistry will be a lot better -as per the absence of so many distractions - and I expect a great season. If it were not so far away......!

The Gophers, as they are, are in excellent shape. Most of us want to look past at the unfortunate issues that have plagued the Gophers for the past year...if not longer. With the lawsuit going against us, with Royce out the door and with Mbawke's transfer discussion it's difficult to imagine the ol' maroon and gold doing anything special in the BT. Most people say they will compete at the mid-level of the conference.

I can't help but think that this is nothing but the pessimism that has plagued a lot of Minnesota sports as of late. The Gophers are talented, athletic, and have a true passion for the game. With Nolen back, Hoff returning, a versatile DJ, and Iverson who somehow looks more impressive each year, I don't know how there could possibly be a negative feeling going into next year.

I've had the opportunity to be with both the coaches and the players on the team. I've felt the disappointment that accompanies each loss. Yet, never have I met a better group of athletes. Despite the drama of last year, the Gopher basketball team will be past that. They won't be around the middle of the BT next year. They will be ready for a run and the distractions from last year will be gone.

I am going to be bold and go with a 12-6 BT record next year for the Gophs...I wanted to get some other predictions to accompany it...

With most of the talent added to the team (Walker, Hollins, Elliason, Oto) still at least a year away from making a serious impact IMO, I just don't see 12 BT wins in 2010-11. I think it would be an accomplishment for the team to finish right around or above the .500-mark and compete for an at-large bid for the NCAA Tournament. However, with so many young players that will anchor the bench, we will see our share of absolutely dreadful games this season. But we will also see flashes of excellence and athleticism. I think 10-8 would be AWESOME for this group.
I do, however, appreciate your optimism!

20 To 25 W Overall

10+ W in OOC play. 10+ W in B10 play. 1 or 2 W in B10T. Maybe 1 W in NCAA. It depends.

25 W should be the minimum target. The 2010 team had opportunities to get there but didn't.

With most of the talent added to the team (Walker, Hollins, Elliason, Oto) still at least a year away from making a serious impact IMO, I just don't see 12 BT wins in 2010-11. I think it would be an accomplishment for the team to finish right around or above the .500-mark and compete for an at-large bid for the NCAA Tournament. However, with so many young players that will anchor the bench, we will see our share of absolutely dreadful games this season. But we will also see flashes of excellence and athleticism. I think 10-8 would be AWESOME for this group.
I do, however, appreciate your optimism!

+1

I think it is all about whether Mbakwe plays or not. I'll go with 10+ BT wins if he does. A disappointing year if he doesn't.

I think Devoe becomes a all B10 player, and carries the Gophers along with Williams, Blake, and Colt to a 10-8 B10 record, 10 wins in the pre-season, and 2 B10 Tourney wins. A #7 seed in the Big Dance, and a NCAA win for Tubby. If somehow they get Trevor back and Al can pick it up, I could believe in 12 B10 wins.
The thing that worries my is quality depth - an injury to Al, Colt, or Devoe would really hurt, as could foul trouble...

In their OOC games, they will go 9-3. They will win their first game against Hofstra in the Puerto Rico Tip-off and then go on to lose handily to North Carolina 82-66 and then Vanderbilt in a game that is closer than the final score (68-57) indicates. Their other OOC loss will unfortunately come against Virginia as the Gophers will never be able to get their game together and Virginia will capitalize on free throws.

In Big Ten play, the Gophers will go 10-8 with a very disappointing loss at home to Iowa; however that will be their only truly disappointing loss in Big Ten play. They will also beat Purdue at home when they are ranked #3 in the country as Hoffarber steps it up in the last few minutes of the game hitting two big 3's and putting away some clutch free throws. They won't be able to take either game away from Michigan State though, but at least both games will be close as we lose the away game by 2 and home game by 3. On the plus side though, we will sweep Michigan, getting sweet revenge on them for the last couple years.

With a 19-11 record going into Big Ten play, the NCAA Tourney hopes will look bleak for the Gophers, but once again they will make a run for one of the last remaining spots. As the #6 seed going into the Big Ten Tourney (they will be tied for the #4 spot but lose the tiebreaker with Illinois and Wisconsin), they will beat Iowa 87-65 and be prepared for the match up against the #3 seed Ohio State (ranked #12 in the nation). Al Nolen will show up big in this game and dominate, only this time with his offense as he puts down 26 points. Rodney Williams' monster dunk over Lighty to end the first half with the Gophers up 34-32 will give the Minnesota momentum to finish the game strong 76-65. The Gophers will then go on to face #2 seed Michigan State who will have just narrowly escaped upset against Michigan. The Gophers will again come up short against State though and will be sweating bullets the next day as the selection committee gets ready to announce the field of 68.

The Gophers' 21-12 record will not look great at first glance but their RPI Top 25 record of 4-4 (wins against Siena, at Ohio St., Purdue, Ohio St. and losses to Vanderbilt, at Mich St., at Purdue, Mich St.) will speak louder than their overall record. As a result, they will controversially snag the second to last spot in the tournament and have to play Seton Hall in one of the four play-in games. Although tired, the Gophers will battle it out defensively to win this game 58-52 and put the Big East in its place with Mo Walker stepping up big (14 points, 15 rebounds). Minnesota will then go on to face #5 seed Utah. Things will look promising in this game with the Gophers jumping out to an early 20-12 lead, but after Devoe Joseph rolls his ankle coming down with a rebound, things will go downhill with the Gophers losing 69-60. On the plus side, the Gophers will get their 1st NCAA Tournament victory under Tubby Smith, but it won't be in a "true" tourney game as many want.

This has been a parody of the predictions of many of the people on this board.

Mediocre regular season where they beat up on weak teams at home and lose handily to strong teams on the road. We will probably be hanging on the edge of our seat on selection Sunday and sneak in with a 7-10 seed. One win max. Typical year.

Lots of ifs, without any sure things. Everything turns out positive, I think 10 wins in the Big Ten won't be a problem.

Joseph, Hoffarber, Sampson, and Iverson are probably the knowns going into the season and will be pretty consistent. Not sure that the depth will allow for the type of substitution patterns that Tubby has deployed in the past.

Need a go to guy: Hopefully Devoe becomes the player that can create and put down his shot in the clutch.

Point Guard: Nolen comes back and provides a little offensive consistency to his defensive play.

Walker: Can come in and contribute from day one, giving Sampson and Iverson a break.

Williams: His game continues to develop.

Had the chance to watch the gophers workout and scrimmage this weekend and while I don't want to say much about what they worked on and plays and other details, here we're some player observations. One thing to note is we are a really big team and thats not including 6'9 Oto, who was the only player missing.

Devoe was clearly the leader and taking charge. He even took some time to explain things to Maverick when the freshman was confused. His shot was amazing, he is shooting with so much confidence. Was playing point on first team.

Blake was pretty much the same as he has always been, didn't notice anything different except he was wearing a headband.

Sampson also played like he did most of last season. He wasn't hitting his jump shots but did knock down a few hooks and rejected an Elliot layup that suprised the freshman.

Iverson Played like he did the last 15 games, was scoring with both hands, rebounding, very confident with his post moves

Rodney Alot of people are really expecting Rodney to make a huge jump this year and he was playing first team but he didn't have the best of days, not that it's anything to worry about, his shots just weren't falling and he missed his big alley opp. The encouraging thing is he looks very confortable and confident on the court and it's just a matter of time before he puts it all together and becomes the player we all think he can be. My guess is it will happen like it did with Colt and Devoe last year.

Nolen Al was on the second unit for now but I'm sure when he gets conformation that he is fully back, he may start again at some point. Pretty much the same Al, streaky with his shot, got in the lane at will but rarely finished, got fouled alot and made most of them, and normal suffocating defense.

Trevor Also on the second unit for now but like Nolen, may change pending the trial outcome. Trevor actually looks kind of small out there with all of our big guys but he is definately noticeable when he explodes around the basket. Showed a nice jump hook and reverse layup as well but it's his high flying rebounds and forceful dunks are what seperates him and make him so valuable.

The Freshman

I'll start with my favorite, Hollins Couldn't take my eyes off him and I think this kid has a very bright future. It may not come this year although he will play decent minutes, but he will be a fan favorite in the coming years. Whats not to like. He had long arms that made him a pest on defense and he moves his feet real well and gave Blake and Devoe trouble at times. He is the typical coaches kid and it showed as he was the only freshman to look totally comfortable. He is an outstanding shooter but really had a couple pump fakes that got Nolen and Devoe flying in the air as he drove by them and once made a beautiful pass to Elliot for a dunk. He's had some turnover problems at Pulley so far but has a solid handle and a nice mid range jumper. This kid was a steal out of Memphis.

I also am becoming a really big booster of Eliason. He really should redshirt but he's much further along than any of us thought. He has a really nice touch out to about 8 feet and took the ball right at Colton and Ralph a couple times and was perfect from the line. Haven't seen much from him defensively and Trevor and Colt have pushed him around and Kept him off the boards, but that will come as he gets stronger. He will struggle at times much like Colt did that first year, but in a couple years he will be a very nice BT center. He is a legit 6'11 and moves really well and doesn't appear to have any knee problems like so many guys his size do.

Walker He is a very large kid. Not as tall as some had reported, closer to 6'9 but he is a very thick kid and it was clear he is out of shape right now. He will need to shed around 30-40 pounds to improve his stamina as he was clearly winded easy and he wasn't getting up like he did in his highlight video from last year. He likes to shoot and looks comfortable shooting the ball and he was able to push colton around some. Before some label him Jonathan Williams Part II, he is much more skilled than JWill I'm sure the coaches will get him in better shape and will tweak his diet. said he was making his Pulley debut this week although I think he will struggle in that league with the pace of play.

Maverick Little worried after seeing him at Pulley but I liked him alot more when he 's in a more structed environment. Don't know if he will ever be a star or more than a quality role player but he definately isn't Engen Nurumbi. He has talent and can knock down the three and had severl nice assists. Don't know if he does anything spectacular but a solid player who it will be interesting to watch him develope as the season goes on, Cobbs was making alot of progress towards the end of the year so hopefully Maverick follows that same path.

Nothing new on Oto.

All three walk ons we're also playing. Not sure where all this hype for Dawson is coming from but he was barely noticeable, Halvorson is pretty much the same as he was at Sibley, impressive athlete but really needs to upgrade his offensive skills if he wants to see meaningful minutes in the future. Was getting alot of tips from coaches and appeared to be paying close attention and working on things he was just taught so who knows what the future will hold. He is exactly the type of walk on you love to have though. I also was really impressed with Starks. He was fearless and the coaches we're already digging the way he plays, didn't look intimidated at all and ran all the drills well and he has some skills and was knocking down his shots. He is limited by his size and athleticism but reminds alot of Travis Busch. I really hope he sticks it out here but if he decideds to transfer down the road for a ride and playing time, he would be a great player at Winona or Mankato.

-Also worth mentioning that both the Pavilion and Williams had leaks in them dripping onto the courts during Fri. and Sat. storms and there we're a few comments about the need for new facilities. Same goes for how damn hot it was in there, even with those huge industrial fans.

great update Johnny.... I am not worried at all about next year and it looks like despite, not having a "top 25" class... we may actually have a few diamonds in the rough. I'm excited about 2010/2011... might look into those San Juan tickets soon!

I'll take irrational exuberance over "woe is me" any day. I'd rather have a little bit of disappointment than an entire year of self-imposed gloom.

Had the chance to watch the gophers workout and scrimmage this weekend and while I don't want to say much about what they worked on and plays and other details, here we're some player observations. One thing to note is we are a really big team and thats not including 6'9 Oto, who was the only player missing.

Devoe was clearly the leader and taking charge. He even took some time to explain things to Maverick when the freshman was confused. His shot was amazing, he is shooting with so much confidence. Was playing point on first team.

Blake was pretty much the same as he has always been, didn't notice anything different except he was wearing a headband.

Sampson also played like he did most of last season. He wasn't hitting his jump shots but did knock down a few hooks and rejected an Elliot layup that suprised the freshman.

Iverson Played like he did the last 15 games, was scoring with both hands, rebounding, very confident with his post moves

Rodney Alot of people are really expecting Rodney to make a huge jump this year and he was playing first team but he didn't have the best of days, not that it's anything to worry about, his shots just weren't falling and he missed his big alley opp. The encouraging thing is he looks very confortable and confident on the court and it's just a matter of time before he puts it all together and becomes the player we all think he can be. My guess is it will happen like it did with Colt and Devoe last year.

Nolen Al was on the second unit for now but I'm sure when he gets conformation that he is fully back, he may start again at some point. Pretty much the same Al, streaky with his shot, got in the lane at will but rarely finished, got fouled alot and made most of them, and normal suffocating defense.

Trevor Also on the second unit for now but like Nolen, may change pending the trial outcome. Trevor actually looks kind of small out there with all of our big guys but he is definately noticeable when he explodes around the basket. Showed a nice jump hook and reverse layup as well but it's his high flying rebounds and forceful dunks are what seperates him and make him so valuable.

The Freshman

I'll start with my favorite, Hollins Couldn't take my eyes off him and I think this kid has a very bright future. It may not come this year although he will play decent minutes, but he will be a fan favorite in the coming years. Whats not to like. He had long arms that made him a pest on defense and he moves his feet real well and gave Blake and Devoe trouble at times. He is the typical coaches kid and it showed as he was the only freshman to look totally comfortable. He is an outstanding shooter but really had a couple pump fakes that got Nolen and Devoe flying in the air as he drove by them and once made a beautiful pass to Elliot for a dunk. He's had some turnover problems at Pulley so far but has a solid handle and a nice mid range jumper. This kid was a steal out of Memphis.

I also am becoming a really big booster of Eliason. He really should redshirt but he's much further along than any of us thought. He has a really nice touch out to about 8 feet and took the ball right at Colton and Ralph a couple times and was perfect from the line. Haven't seen much from him defensively and Trevor and Colt have pushed him around and Kept him off the boards, but that will come as he gets stronger. He will struggle at times much like Colt did that first year, but in a couple years he will be a very nice BT center. He is a legit 6'11 and moves really well and doesn't appear to have any knee problems like so many guys his size do.

Walker He is a very large kid. Not as tall as some had reported, closer to 6'9 but he is a very thick kid and it was clear he is out of shape right now. He will need to shed around 30-40 pounds to improve his stamina as he was clearly winded easy and he wasn't getting up like he did in his highlight video from last year. He likes to shoot and looks comfortable shooting the ball and he was able to push colton around some. Before some label him Jonathan Williams Part II, he is much more skilled than JWill I'm sure the coaches will get him in better shape and will tweak his diet. said he was making his Pulley debut this week although I think he will struggle in that league with the pace of play.

Maverick Little worried after seeing him at Pulley but I liked him alot more when he 's in a more structed environment. Don't know if he will ever be a star or more than a quality role player but he definately isn't Engen Nurumbi. He has talent and can knock down the three and had severl nice assists. Don't know if he does anything spectacular but a solid player who it will be interesting to watch him develope as the season goes on, Cobbs was making alot of progress towards the end of the year so hopefully Maverick follows that same path.

Nothing new on Oto.

All three walk ons we're also playing. Not sure where all this hype for Dawson is coming from but he was barely noticeable, Halvorson is pretty much the same as he was at Sibley, impressive athlete but really needs to upgrade his offensive skills if he wants to see meaningful minutes in the future. Was getting alot of tips from coaches and appeared to be paying close attention and working on things he was just taught so who knows what the future will hold. He is exactly the type of walk on you love to have though. I also was really impressed with Starks. He was fearless and the coaches we're already digging the way he plays, didn't look intimidated at all and ran all the drills well and he has some skills and was knocking down his shots. He is limited by his size and athleticism but reminds alot of Travis Busch. I really hope he sticks it out here but if he decideds to transfer down the road for a ride and playing time, he would be a great player at Winona or Mankato.

-Also worth mentioning that both the Pavilion and Williams had leaks in them dripping onto the courts during Fri. and Sat. storms and there we're a few comments about the need for new facilities. Same goes for how damn hot it was in there, even with those huge industrial fans.

Thanks much. That was a great read!

Thanks Johnny. Super job, as always. These evaluations carry a lot more weight with me when they come from you. Main thing I'm looking for in 2010-11 is that Rodney starts becoming the real deal.

Thanks, only thing that surprises me is that it sounds like our prized recruit is the worst one. haha, he'll be good when he drops the weigh though. a 260 or 270 Mo Walker will be a lot more mobile and agile in the post.

The Freshman

Nothing new on Oto.

If I may ask, Johnny, was the first team: Devoe, Blake, Rodney, Colton, and Ralph?

If I may ask, Johnny, was the first team: Devoe, Blake, Rodney, Colton, and Ralph?

Yes it was, Al and Trevor we're with Maverick, Hollins, and Walker on the second, with Elliott, Halvorson, Stark, and Dawson coming off the bench.

Also, things are sounding better for Oto.

If Trevor doesnt play?

I think the key to the season will be Iverson. He will need to play smarter. We cannot afford to have him in foul trouble. Sampson and Iverson will need to be on the floor together a lot if Trevor isn't playing. So here is to hoping Iverson continues the improvements he made last year.

Top Bottom