Gophers offer Waconia's Shelby Moats (2011)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Monter:

Shelby Moats, a 6-foot-8, 230-pound junior forward from Waconia (MN) High, has received a scholarship offer from Minnesota, according to Minnesota Pump N Run head coach Jeremy Miller. Moats, who is GoldenSports.Net Minnesota’s #2 player in the class of 2011, averaged 21.1 points per game and scored in double figures in all 26 contests as Waconia finished the season 22-4.

http://minnesota.scout.com/2/979889.html

Monter reports that Moats has a 4.0 GPA and is visiting Stanford this weekend.

Go Gophers!!

Is Moats a combo forward, more comfortable outside, inside? From those who have seen him play, what are your thoughts?

I have not seen a ton of Moats, but at this point, I believe he an interior player more than anything else.

EDIT: Ignore my comment, I was thinking of someone else. I don't think I've seen Moats play.

Moats

Moats is more comfortable outside. He can step out and hit the three with ease. A good all around player, though. I can se him being teamed with Coleman and Jesperson in this years recruiting class.

I have seen him play. Here's my impressions:

Strengths:
- Big body, good strength (looks like he can lift).
- Solid outside shot with range.
- Legitimate 6'6" (not sure about 6'8").

Weaknesses:
- Ballhandling.
- Not the quickest guy; kind of lumbered around.
- Rebounding - for being such a big guy, didn't control the boards in high school.

If he is 6'6" in bare feet he will be listed at 6'8" by the gophers trust me. All college players are measured in their shoes.

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
- Ballhandling.
- Rebounding - for being such a big guy, didn't control the boards in high school.

Is he more likely then to be a 3 in college if he improves his handeling? Seems like he could be a Gomes/Artest type guy at the 3.

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
- Ballhandling.

He's 6'8" barefoot and a very good rebounder. The coaches I talk to say that he is one of the top 3 pick and pop fours in the country. The gophers would be very lucky to land this kid, he has very high character and will be a leader on and off the court.

He's 6'8" barefoot and a very good rebounder. The coaches I talk to say that he is one of the top 3 pick and pop fours in the country. The gophers would be very lucky to land this kid, he has very high character and will be a leader on and off the court.
Fair assessment. The only thing I'd say is he's not very explosive right now and will need to work on his dribble drive. Smart, great kid and a good teammate. Love to see him accept the offer.

The coaches I talk to say that he is one of the top 3 pick and pop fours in the country.

What level coaches do you confer with? Are the coaches your source of info or have you seen him play?

Moats is more comfortable outside. He can step out and hit the three with ease. A good all around player, though. I can se him being teamed with Coleman and Jesperson in this years recruiting class.

I would still like to see a PG in our 2011 class. Top gopher targets I'm aware of are Boatright & Tyler.

I would still like to see a PG in our 2011 class. Top gopher targets I'm aware of are Boatright & Tyler.

Yea definately, but they could wait 1 year if they don't land a 4 star or 3 star pg, afterall we don't need two 2 star PGS (maverick and a 2011 guy) If thats the case, land Coleman, Jesperson, Oglesby because he can play point and he will be good, and Moats. looks like a good recruiting class to me.

What level coaches do you confer with? Are the coaches your source of info or have you seen him play?

I speak to coaches in every in BCS conference and most high Mid-Majors. I have seen him play at least 15 times. He's skilled and has perfect form on his left-handed jumper, he might be the best shooter in the state in 2011 class. Dutchman is right the one knock his explosiveness but the Gophers know that. What he brings to a team is something that will be missing when Blake is gone, a team-first lights-out shooter.

I speak to coaches in every in BCS conference and most high Mid-Majors. I have seen him play at least 15 times. He's skilled and has perfect form on his left-handed jumper, he might be the best shooter in the state in 2011 class. Dutchman is right the one knock his explosiveness but the Gophers know that. What he brings to a team is something that will be missing when Blake is gone, a team-first lights-out shooter.

Nice, thanks for contributing. Bleed had mentioned that he is visiting Stanford this weekend - do you know if there any other high majors showing interest?

Well thats great that he can shoot, but the gophs might land Jesperson who is one of the better shooters in the country. We need a PF who can grab boards, block shots, score down low, bang in the paint, and defend post players a la Mbakwe and White. Can Moats be that kind of PF? I've heard he is a softie.

Well thats great that he can shoot, but the gophs might land Jesperson who is one of the better shooters in the country. We need a PF who can grab boards, block shots, score down low, bang in the paint, and defend post players a la Mbakwe and White. Can Moats be that kind of PF? I've heard he is a softie.

I've not seen him 15 times (10 games maybe) like the evaluator but he's a much better shooter than Jesperson (5 games) has better size and can rebound better Having seen them both play this AAU season and if it became one v. the other.....Moats. More versatile and quite frankly a really good shooter. And in terms of matchups, Moats is a touger matchup than Jesperson as Moats can (doesn't love it) post up pretty effectively. Moats is not a beast but I wouldn't call him soft at all. Defensively in the post is an opportunity for growth, let's just say that much.

Nice, thanks for contributing. Bleed had mentioned that he is visiting Stanford this weekend - do you know if there any other high majors showing interest?

Minnesota and Utah would be his best offers that I can find. Most of the Ivy League has offered as well as about 7 mid majors.

I've not seen him 15 times (10 games maybe) like the evaluator but he's a much better shooter than Jesperson (5 games) has better size and can rebound better Having seen them both play this AAU season and if it became one v. the other.....Moats. More versatile and quite frankly a really good shooter. And in terms of matchups, Moats is a touger matchup than Jesperson as Moats can (doesn't love it) post up pretty effectively. Moats is not a beast but I wouldn't call him soft at all. Defensively in the post is an opportunity for growth, let's just say that much.

I think don't like to hear that he needs work on defense.

I've never seen Moats play, so I'm not disagreeing with you, but that just sounds very hard to believe. It would be hard enough to believe that he's a better shooter, but to say "much better" just sounds unrealistic unless he is the best shooter in the country regardless of class, which again would be pretty hard to believe. If he ends up being a Gopher though I hope you're right.

Just about any high school kid entering college has to work on their defense, just like nearly every college player entering the NBA has to work on defense. Higher the caliber of competition, more skills needed to develop in that area.

And unless Moats doesn't possess the foot speed or lateral quickness, you would hope a kid that works that hard in the classroom would bring a strong work ethic to the court and develop his defensive skills.

Without having seen either Moats or Jesperson, I certainly can't comment on their shooting abilities, but as far as match-ups go, you would think Moats could be a real headache to opponents. Assign someone tall and immobile, Moats takes them outside and makes them pay; assign a smaller, quicker player, Moats takes them down to the blocks (ideally).

Some people compare Moats game to Nankival at Wisconsin. This was Jirsa's call and it kind of came out of nowhwere. Minnesota Team Camp this weekend but Waconia is not there. Pump N Run is hosting a big tournament in July so everyone can go watch. Shelby is a quality prospect although those looking for a true pF will be disappointed. And Jesperson and Oglesby are two of the best shooters in the country, Shelby is good but not in that class.

Some people compare Moats game to Nankival at Wisconsin. This was Jirsa's call and it kind of came out of nowhwere. Minnesota Team Camp this weekend but Waconia is not there. Pump N Run is hosting a big tournament in July so everyone can go watch. Shelby is a quality prospect although those looking for a true pF will be disappointed. And Jesperson and Oglesby are two of the best shooters in the country, Shelby is good but not in that class.

That's what I was expecting. Thank you.

If the descriptions of Moats in this thread are reasonably close, I don't know if the comparison to Nankivil are accurate. Keaton has always had a pretty good shot, but in HS he was a dominant post player, based primarily on his size and athleticism. Even at the Big 10 level, he is a better than average athlete. It sounds like that cannot be said for Moats. Keaton's post game has not developed as expected, so he is more a shooter now than anything else, but he's still a very good athlete.

does anyone feel we are becoming too much like Wisconsin? Slower, unathletic big men who can shoot, gaurds who arent necessarily fast or atheltic, but can shoot, making way for a slower half court offense? heres what im talking about, (Moats, Jesperson, Osenieks, Hoffarber, Oglesby, Eliason, Walker) etc... We need Colemans, Mbakwes, RW jrs, Hollins, Lomombas, RS3s, Al Nolens. They make for a deadly defense, and a fast paced offense.

does anyone feel we are becoming too much like Wisconsin? Slower, unathletic big men who can shoot, gaurds who arent necessarily fast or atheltic, but can shoot, making way for a slower half court offense? heres what im talking about, (Moats, Jesperson, Osenieks, Hoffarber, Oglesby, Eliason, Walker) etc... We need Colemans, Mbakwes, RW jrs, Hollins, Lomombas, RS3s, Al Nolens. They make for a deadly defense, and a fast paced offense.

Wisconsin has one of the Top 10 W-L (%) records since Bo Ryan has coached there.

Becoming like Wisconsin is not a bad thing in that respect.

Wisconsin has one of the Top 10 W-L (%) records since Bo Ryan has coached there.

Becoming like Wisconsin is not a bad thing in that respect.

I'm not saying it is, but I like the athleticism we had this year, if we could have that in the future instead of these slower paced teams I think we'd be better off. Our D will not lead the big ten with guys like Moats and Jesperson. They are good players, and I want them, but I don't want our whole roster to be made up of these guys. As I said we need some Rodneys and Colemans to go with the Hoffarbers.

does anyone feel we are becoming too much like Wisconsin? Slower, unathletic big men who can shoot, gaurds who arent necessarily fast or atheltic, but can shoot, making way for a slower half court offense?

Welcome to the Big Ten (11/12)

Welcome to the Big Ten (11/12)

We don't have to be this way because were in the big ten. Which B10 teams went the furthest? Ohio state and Mich state, those teams are fast, athletic, their big men arent softies like Wisconsin.

I am not sure that all the guys you listed first are not athletic, but this is my biggest concern with the state of Gopher Basketball...where are the athletes? where are the guys who project as potential go to players? I try to keep in mind that my discontent with the state of recruiting is largely based on one spring of disappointments and surprises, but the early look at 2011 doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

We don't have to be this way because were in the big ten. Which B10 teams went the furthest? Ohio state and Mich state, those teams are fast, athletic, their big men arent softies like Wisconsin.

OSU and MSU each played at a slower tempo than we did this past season. We ranked #211 in the nation in tempo, while OSU and MSU ranked 234 and 224 respectively. Indiana was the Big Ten's fastest paced team, ranking 96th.

Top Bottom