BT and the Draft

Pewterschmidt

Reaction score
It hasn't been a good run of placing players into the league recently. I know the BT is returning a lot of talent next year but many returned because they were on the the fence of being drafted.

Only Turner is guaranteed to be drafted tonight. Manny Harris is the only other player I've seen in some mocks. To put this into perspective, the B12, ACC, BE, and possibly the SEC could all have 10 or more drafted.

This isn't new. Last year, only Mullins and Suton were picked while in '08 it was just Gordon, White, and Koufos.

It's possible in a 3 year span only 6 BT players are drafted. That's ugly. It'll be better next year but this stretch won't help the perception.

IMO losing undergrads to the NBA is overall bad for a conference. Look at the Pac-10 this year. After losing ~20 to the NBA in the past couple of years, the Pac was severely downgraded as a conference in 2009-2010. Only one NCAA bid and disparaged all year. Now they have to prove that they can be competitive again.

I wonder what Academic and Enrollment rules impact this. So many of the players drafted are one and two year college players. The Big Ten rules may discourage this. The ACC probably has requirements equal to the Big Ten and they still have large numbers drafted though.

I think it also has to do with the Big 10 style of play not necessarily translating very well to the NBA. A lot of the Big 10 relies more on teamwork/physicality rather than athleticism and showiness -- qualities that the NBA drools over.

Well, my OSU team has held up their end, it's everyone else in the Big Ten that's not doing much. It'd be a black eye for the league if more players get drafted that transferred away from the conference than stuck in it & it's quite possible if only Turner gets drafted from Big Ten schools while Ekpe Udoh and Jordan Crawford get drafted as well (both likely to be drafted IMO).

Well, my OSU team has held up their end, it's everyone else in the Big Ten that's not doing much. It'd be a black eye for the league if more players get drafted that transferred away from the conference than stuck in it & it's quite possible if only Turner gets drafted from Big Ten schools while Ekpe Udoh and Jordan Crawford get drafted as well (both likely to be drafted IMO).

More power to you guys. Thad has shown he is just fine with recruiting 1 and done's -- nothing wrong with that. I'm simply saying that the rest of the conference seems to gravitate towards 4 year players that fit well with their team, while Thad has the inclination/luxury of often taking the best player available, regardless of their intent to leave after a year/playing style.

nba

A good percentage of the first round, and for sure the lottery, are 15 players comming out of high school. Ohio St. is the only big ten school who routinely gets those players. Michigan St. is getting one or two every other year.

Wall was the #1 player for most services out of high school, Cousins was top 5. Turner was probably a top 15, no positive. Yes you can always name the Haywards, and the Udoh's but they are the exception, not the rule.

A good percentage of the first round, and for sure the lottery, are 15 players comming out of high school. Ohio St. is the only big ten school who routinely gets those players. Michigan St. is getting one or two every other year.

Wall was the #1 player for most services out of high school, Cousins was top 5. Turner was probably a top 15, no positive. Yes you can always name the Haywards, and the Udoh's but they are the exception, not the rule.

and the NBA, IMO, needs to start letting them go pro out of high school. I feel like it has done nothing but hurt the NCAA. the schools with lower academics get the one and dones more routinley, for obvious reasons. And the NCAA now has to spend time and money investigating eligibility of all these players who didn't want to go to college anyway and their coaches (Calipari) didn't push them very hard too. Yeah, it sometimes stinks for NBA GM's, but when a good number of the leauges top players are out of high school, it makes sense. Kobe, Dwight, LeBron, KG, Amare, etc.

A little off topic, but I do not believe one and dones are helping college or NBA basketball at all.

Turner was the #13 SF (#49 overall) on Rivals, #16 SF on Scout.

Minnesota Timberwolves: The Wolves had a lot of picks, including No. 4 and No. 16 overall. What did the team come out with? Small forward Wesley Johnson, veteran small forward Martell Webster, relatively unsung small forward Lazar Hayward, two international players (Nemanja Bjelica and Paulao Prestes) and Rutgers shotblocker Hamady N'diaye. Not exactly a bumper crop of talent. The team still doesn't have a legit center not named Darko Milicic in mind for 2010-11, and Webster is almost assuredly going to have to be wedged into the two-guard to make time for Johnson and Corey Brewer. Minnesota, I do not understand what the frick you are doing. Final Grade: D-

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/06/24/2010-nba-draft-grades/

and the NBA, IMO, needs to start letting them go pro out of high school. I feel like it has done nothing but hurt the NCAA. the schools with lower academics get the one and dones more routinley, for obvious reasons. And the NCAA now has to spend time and money investigating eligibility of all these players who didn't want to go to college anyway and their coaches (Calipari) didn't push them very hard too. Yeah, it sometimes stinks for NBA GM's, but when a good number of the leauges top players are out of high school, it makes sense. Kobe, Dwight, LeBron, KG, Amare, etc.

A little off topic, but I do not believe one and dones are helping college or NBA basketball at all.

If John Wall had wanted to come to the University of Minnesota Tubby Smith would have crawled on his hands and knees, through a field of broken glass, to make it happen. The real issue is that the majority of kids that grow up playing basketball in this country dream of playing in the NBA. That's the primary goal and that plays a huge part in their decision making process. I'm not going to argue over the merits of that viewpoint but kids don't pick up a basketball and think "Man, someday I hope to get my degree in Finance from the University of Minnesota and land an entry level job with a strong firm in the greater Minneapolis area. And maybe if I work hard enough..I can get to Chicago one day!"

I don't think these kids should be forced to do anything but to sit here and assign blame due to this or that or put your conference on a pedestal because of faulty notions like "academics" or "teamwork" as a reason the elite talent shys away from your conference is a losers game.

If John Wall had wanted to come to the University of Minnesota Tubby Smith would have crawled on his hands and knees, through a field of broken glass, to make it happen. The real issue is that the majority of kids that grow up playing basketball in this country dream of playing in the NBA. That's the primary goal and that plays a huge part in their decision making process. I'm not going to argue over the merits of that viewpoint but kids don't pick up a basketball and think "Man, someday I hope to get my degree in Finance from the University of Minnesota and land an entry level job with a strong firm in the greater Minneapolis area. And maybe if I work hard enough..I can get to Chicago one day!"

I don't think these kids should be forced to do anything but to sit here and assign blame due to this or that or put your conference on a pedestal because of faulty notions like "academics" or "teamwork" as a reason the elite talent shys away from your conference is a losers game.

Tubby had 2 Tulsa players, 2 Georgia players, and 15 Kentucky players make the NBA. No one crawled on hands & knees through glass to land them. 0 Minnesota players (yet) but maybe soon.

John Wall is a great kid. Smart (3.5 GPA) and extraordinarily talented basketball player.

Where would Robbie Hummel have been drafted if he hadn't had the knee injury?

john wall is currently praying royce doesn't declare at the last minute ...

LOL Wall didn't have to worry. The guy who sits next to me at the barn said he heard Royce would be picked about 14th.

Where does this nonsense get started?

Neither Michigan's Sims or Harris were drafted. Do they only look great win they play the Gophers?

Interesting to me...

Seniors to go to NBA since 2005 (from individual schools):

Four seniors - 1 school (Big East)
Three seniors - 4 schools (2 Pac-10, 2 ACC)
Two seniors - 14 schools (includes 2 Big Ten)
One senior - 32 schools
Zero seniors - 296 schools

Further comments on this at: Cracked Sidewalks

The NBA did the right thing not letting 18 year olds enter the draft. Where they screwed up was making the rule that they had to be 19. The NBA should have it be like the NFL and make the age 21. That way they have 3 years of college behind them in case their basketball career doesn't pan out and are mentally matured.

Perhaps there is a little insight here as to why the Big Ten doesn't get any love from the national media/sportscasters: no flashiness ...what/who are they going to write/talk about?

I know they don't really like Twolves talk on here... but my god... I think McFail would've done a better job with the picks we had.

Minnesota Timberwolves: The Wolves had a lot of picks, including No. 4 and No. 16 overall. What did the team come out with? Small forward Wesley Johnson, veteran small forward Martell Webster, relatively unsung small forward Lazar Hayward, two international players (Nemanja Bjelica and Paulao Prestes) and Rutgers shotblocker Hamady N'diaye. Not exactly a bumper crop of talent. The team still doesn't have a legit center not named Darko Milicic in mind for 2010-11, and Webster is almost assuredly going to have to be wedged into the two-guard to make time for Johnson and Corey Brewer. Minnesota, I do not understand what the frick you are doing. Final Grade: D-

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/06/24/2010-nba-draft-grades/

Top Bottom