It's a good thing ESPN loves Indiana

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Who else is just thrilled that the Hoosiers were selected (even once) to appear on Super Tuesday? Come on, I know Indiana is a brand-name in college basketball, we're not, but if there was ever a year for ESPN to ignore IU's brand name and take a chance on a potential up-and-coming program in the Big 10 (with a big-name coach, no less), why not this season? It's really pretty ridiculous that IU's getting an appearance on Super Tuesday while the Gophers get none, nada, zippo (unless we're selected as the Super Tuesday wildcard game late in the season).

It is ridiculous. They would rather get the casual fan that may tune in to watch Indiana and don't care about the hard core fans that won't tune in because there is nothing compelling about the game. I was just thinking which Big Ten game is tonight and now it is a no brainer pass.

The worst is the idiots at ESPN knew they would suck long before the TV schedule came out.

Good point GV. ESPN ABSOLUTELY knew IU would suck historically this season, but that didn't stop them from forcing the Hoosiers down the nation's throats. A joke.

The IU-OSU game tonight has no compelling storylines whatsoever. None. I'm sure it will turn into a 2-hour dialogue about "woe is Indiana" (they hired a crook before Crean, why should we feel sorry for them?), and then we'll hear about Crean (who I think was an excellent choice) and how he'll be walking on water like Tim Tebow and Brett Favre two years from now.

I'm with GV on this one. Their coverage of most sports is getting almost absurd. Their order of importance goes something like this 1. Anything football related 2. Anything about LeBron, Kobe, the Lakers or the Celtics 3. Anything Yankees and Red Sox and 4. Everything else.

the everything else normally isn't covered very well, mostly because they don't give a rip. But as long as they get a big name, whether they deserve the press or not, they will show up on ESPN.

This is all about ratings. IU is a huge ratings draw even when they are awful, therefore they are on TV.

There were pretty much no good games tonight. Perhaps it's not so much a big anti-gopher pro-Indiana thing as it is a what can we put on tv that people will watch thing.

Also, relax.

I stand corrected: thumbs up to Musberger & Lavin

I forgot that that Mus and Lav (& Erin) handle the Super Tuesday Big Ten assignments. They are a fantastic crew. Mus & Lav made last night's horrible game somewhat palatable with their banter. Lav has a future as a stand-up comic. He's an entertaining dude, and Mus plays off him well. Most importantly, they know their stuff.

Don't forget about Duke on ESPN's priority list. Have they had a game that has not been televised? I'm so excited I got to see them play UNC Asheville and VaTech.

Admittedly, I'm not a Duke fan, but is any team in college ball pushed on us this hard. They are a team that has strong opinions, which apparently leads to high ratings, but why would anyone tune into a game like Duke-Loyola when there is a competitive game also on?

Top Bottom