Pulley Day 2

jmag21

Reaction score
I was interested to see the first game for the new recruits, so I showed up. Of course, take all this with a grain of salt, because it's summer league. However, I tend to believe that though a player's success in HP doesn't necessary tell you much because of the defense that gets played, I think there were some huge flaws exposed with the incoming guys. Look, last year, I was so psyched for HP. I went to a few games, and was really excited to see the performances of the "incoming" freshman, some of whom didn't show up to play for the U. I was a bit more negative this year, but I still showed up. Here are my thoughts (and I'm usually optimistic):

Blake - looked about the same. Same smooth shot, same intelligent hustle, same inability to make much of his own shot.

Trevor - Man amongst boys. We really need to get this guy. He was at a whole 'nother level. He doesn't appear to have any real post moves other than power to the basket and finish, but he threw down some of the most vicious dunks I've ever witnessed.

Now, on to the frosh.

Elliot - Man, is this kid a project. Incredibly skilled, and not too coordinated, he was dominated out there. He's obviously too weak to bang with the bigs right now, and he doesn't have much hand-eye coordination right now, nor much of a shot. He has to redshirt. Hopefully Mo's a little more ready.

Maverick - Okay, I hate to be negative. I really do. Maybe Maverick's a great guy. I'm sure he is. But he looked like a D-3 player at best. Badly missed the shots he took, didn't show any real athleticism, wasn't playing good D, showed no ability to get in the lane, wasn't showing any court vision, and basically was a complete liability offensively and defensively. I hate to say it, but Maverick looked absolutely terrible.

Austin - looked good in spurts. Obviously also a project, but he's got some explosiveness, and he's not afraid to take it at people. He also looks like he has the ability to make shots while in the air and in traffic. His shot was off, but looked smooth. He worked hard on the D end too. However, he's incredibly skinny, and his handles weren't very good. Hopefully he'll develop.

Oto - Well, there was a dude I was sure was Oto, and he was dominating. Turns out he's some guy from Wisconsin-Green Bay who plays in Europe. Hope when Oto shows up he learns some tricks from that guy.

I only saw a little bit of Rodney's game, but he looks as skinny as ever, and didn't show any new ability to demand the ball and dribble past people. I don't know, I still have high hopes for him.

Finally, some other small thoughts, the center on Mbakwe's team (from Bucknell, or something?) was playing very well. So was Omar from the Wire, who apparently was the PG for the young Gophers' team. All in all, it was a good time as always. Pulley's a good way to spend a summer evening.

Thanks for the analysis. Not exactly what I wanted to hear though...

Does anyone know where Oto is and when he will be here?

For the new Gopher recruits lack of strength was the story of the day. I think they came away with a new respect for the weight room.
Al Nolen didn't show up, so Maveric was thrown to the wolves from the beginning. He was matched with Mitch Omstead and Mitch plays a very fast game. I was happy to see that Maverick was able to stay in front of him most of the time. Maverick did miss shots ,but he showed a willingness to push the ball to the hole.

Hollins lost the ball off the dribble once or twice. He does have nice looking shots. They just weren't falling. He did go end to end once and made a every pretty layup, in a crowd.

I thought Elliot played pretty well. Yes he got run over by Mbakwe. But who wouldn't get pushed aside by this guy. Especially when the refs allow the offensive players to do everything but hit their defenders with an axe. Elliot got his rebounds and ran the floor very well. His shots weren't falling either, but he did have some good put backs.

Thanks for the analysis. Not exactly what I wanted to hear though...

I appreciate the analysis as well..but its HP people! When will we learn. So, if they all looked great would we be expecting the next great Devron Bostick?

It's still basketball. If guys look bad out there, it's concerning. Hopefully we'll surround this class with some talent so they never have to be our starters

Does anyone know where Oto is and when he will be here?

Not here, don't know if he'll be cleared. Best case scenario he's here in a few days, worst case scenario he's never here. Both are very possible.

I was interested to see the first game for the new recruits, so I showed up. Of course, take all this with a grain of salt, because it's summer league. However, I tend to believe that though a player's success in HP doesn't necessary tell you much because of the defense that gets played, I think there were some huge flaws exposed with the incoming guys. Look, last year, I was so psyched for HP. I went to a few games, and was really excited to see the performances of the "incoming" freshman, some of whom didn't show up to play for the U. I was a bit more negative this year, but I still showed up. Here are my thoughts (and I'm usually optimistic):

Blake - looked about the same. Same smooth shot, same intelligent hustle, same inability to make much of his own shot.

Trevor - Man amongst boys. We really need to get this guy. He was at a whole 'nother level. He doesn't appear to have any real post moves other than power to the basket and finish, but he threw down some of the most vicious dunks I've ever witnessed.

Now, on to the frosh.

Elliot - Man, is this kid a project. Incredibly skilled, and not too coordinated, he was dominated out there. He's obviously too weak to bang with the bigs right now, and he doesn't have much hand-eye coordination right now, nor much of a shot. He has to redshirt. Hopefully Mo's a little more ready.

Maverick - Okay, I hate to be negative. I really do. Maybe Maverick's a great guy. I'm sure he is. But he looked like a D-3 player at best. Badly missed the shots he took, didn't show any real athleticism, wasn't playing good D, showed no ability to get in the lane, wasn't showing any court vision, and basically was a complete liability offensively and defensively. I hate to say it, but Maverick looked absolutely terrible.

Austin - looked good in spurts. Obviously also a project, but he's got some explosiveness, and he's not afraid to take it at people. He also looks like he has the ability to make shots while in the air and in traffic. His shot was off, but looked smooth. He worked hard on the D end too. However, he's incredibly skinny, and his handles weren't very good. Hopefully he'll develop.

Oto - Well, there was a dude I was sure was Oto, and he was dominating. Turns out he's some guy from Wisconsin-Green Bay who plays in Europe. Hope when Oto shows up he learns some tricks from that guy.

I only saw a little bit of Rodney's game, but he looks as skinny as ever, and didn't show any new ability to demand the ball and dribble past people. I don't know, I still have high hopes for him.

Finally, some other small thoughts, the center on Mbakwe's team (from Bucknell, or something?) was playing very well. So was Omar from the Wire, who apparently was the PG for the young Gophers' team. All in all, it was a good time as always. Pulley's a good way to spend a summer evening.

Ouch. That was a painful read. Thanks for the report though. Hopefully the recruits start looking better. I had hopes for Maverick being a Tubby sleeper and Rodney coming back with some muscle on him and some dribble drive moves so this is not good to hear.

Oto - Well, there was a dude I was sure was Oto, and he was dominating. Turns out he's some guy from Wisconsin-Green Bay who plays in Europe. Hope when Oto shows up he learns some tricks from that guy. Mike Schachtner - Nice player.

Mike Muscala - Lean, athletic big man who should quickly impact Bucknell's frontcourt ... very nimble for a 6'10" athlete ... runs the floor extremely well and has shooting range beyond the 3-point arc ... plays aggressively around the basket ... can finish with either hand ... excellent passing skills ... working hard in the weight room to add strength to his frame.

So was Omar from the Wire, who apparently was the PG for the young Gophers' team. All in all, it was a good time as always. Pulley's a good way to spend a summer evening.

bacon1-735297.jpg

Great show.

Mike Muscala - Lean, athletic big man who should quickly impact Bucknell's frontcourt ... very nimble for a 6'10" athlete ... runs the floor extremely well and has shooting range beyond the 3-point arc ... plays aggressively around the basket ... can finish with either hand ... excellent passing skills ... working hard in the weight room to add strength to his frame.

thanks for the nice links to the bios-- did you grab a program so you can do the whole HP league or does that turn the Gopherhole board into a Howard Pulley board? Tony and Mike are working on full bios for the future programs

Hey, thanks for that.

tonights game will be interesting. To see if 1, Colt and Nolen show up, and 2, how Eliason matches up with Royce, Maverick with El Amin, and Hollins with Bostick

tonights game will be interesting. To see if 1, Colt and Nolen show up, and 2, how Eliason matches up with Royce, Maverick with El Amin, and Hollins with Bostick

I couldn't make it tonight-- does anyone have results and analysis yet?

Top Bottom