Royce White says odds on him returning to Gophers basketball team are 'slim and none'

GopherLady

Reaction score
Per Shooter:

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_15343311

A leaner Royce White, featuring his self-described 'warrior' haircut — a modified Mohawk — returned to the basketball court Monday night and said he expects to play in college next season, but probably not for the Gophers.

White played in the opening game of the Howard Pulley pro-am summer league at the St. Paul Salvation Army gym and looked both powerful and graceful on the court.

White, 10 pounds lighter at 240 but an inch taller at 6 feet 9 than he was when he left the University of Minnesota team as a freshman last February, wouldn't address a Pioneer Press report that he's being recruited by Kentucky.

"There's a list of schools," he said.

Chances of returning to the Gophers?

"Slim and none at this point," he said.

Because?

"It's a 'they thing,' not a 'me thing,' " he said.

White, 19, said he considered turning professional after working out with NBA training guru Tim Grover in Chicago. But "I didn't want to go the agent way," he said.

White, the Mr. Basketball Minnesota at Hopkins High School, said it was difficult not getting to play for the Gophers last season due to legal issues.

"It was tough, but that's how it goes," he said.

Sigh...I've seen this over and over again. Kids can't take responsibility for their actions. Always the fault of someone else. I highly doubt he gets any kind of waiver to play this year.

Royce White has several very rude awakenings ahead of him. Oh, he was gonna go pro but he didn't want the agent thingy.

If I remember the Tim Glover report correctly, is was that he recommended to RW that he clean up his act and go back to school. RW is only dreaming if he thinks he will go to UK. They wouldn't have him. He probably started the rumor. It's sad what this kid has thrown away. He is full of himself and doesn't have a clue.

Thanks Maturi.

For Dpdoll and others, I'd just like to point out that this is an example of irrational Maturi bashing. I'm only a moderate. ;) Royce has made his own bed on this.

For Dpdoll and others, I'd just like to point out that this is an example of irrational Maturi bashing. I'm only a moderate. ;) Royce has made his own bed on this.

Please. Royce got suspended a full season for shoplifting. That's a far greater punishment than anyone would get in the legal system. The fact is there are hundreds of D-I schools that would have let him play this season, and if we want to play with the big boys we are going to have to do the same. The holier-than-thou stance the U takes on discipline might look nice, but it doesn't change the opinions of the local press or the public who continue to criticize the big $$$ programs for mediocrity.

Pattern of behavior

With all due respect, if anyone really believes all this is only about Royce's shoplifting, they're sadly mistaken. It's called pattern of behavior, and I think Royce has failed that test going all the way back to his DeLaSalle days up to the present day. He's done absolutely nothing to indicate he's changing his ways anytime soon.

Lets be clear...Royce was suspended 3 games for the shop lifting...he was suspended indefinately because of the laptop theft that he was under investigation for...he quite the team prior to the completion of that investigation...had he not quit...I believe he would have been on the team for the Big 10 and NCAA tournaments. He made his bed...eff Royce White...he is young but is that really an excuse for being such a dou$he bag and an ass whipe?

Please. Royce got suspended a full season for shoplifting. That's a far greater punishment than anyone would get in the legal system. The fact is there are hundreds of D-I schools that would have let him play this season, and if we want to play with the big boys we are going to have to do the same. The holier-than-thou stance the U takes on discipline might look nice, but it doesn't change the opinions of the local press or the public who continue to criticize the big $$$ programs for mediocrity.

He was suspended due to the laptop situation. The U of M campus cops were using this as leverage to get him to turn on his friends. Royce wouldn't. Royce basically chose his posse of friends over being a Gopher. If he gives up a name, he's off the hook and on the team - simple as that. Being on the team was less important than being loyal to some of his menacing friends. Royce then QUIT the team and school. The campus cops had no leverage at that point and finally charged him with a lesser crime of trespassing. There's is some blame to go around (including the weekend warrior cops), but the bottom line is that being a Gopher was not all that important to Royce. Being in his posse of bad influence was/is. He made his bed. He chose to bring this group of non-students into a dorm with him just two weeks after the shoplifting thing. And, they got him in trouble. It pissed off the coaching staff and they told him he could be a Gopher if he chose to be a Gopher. That meant in any future dealings he had to choose his teammates over his posse. Royce balked. Royce is not a Gopher.

And, that isn't a "they thing." It is 100% a "me thing."

The matter was handled poorly by the UMPD (who investigates any dorm theft for months? No one.) It also was handled poorly by Maturi (at some point you call the UMPD's bluff and let him play.) But that's done. What has Royce done since February to show that he wants back on the team? Not a darn thing. So excuse me if I no longer feel sorry for him.

Sorry Royce, WAY off base on this one. It's a 'they' thing? Give me a break. I understand why Tubby isn't welcoming you back with open arms.

As someone who has been supporting Royce throughout this whole ordeal, all i can say now is Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

I wonder who's 'thing' it will be when the NCAA denies his waiver request?

Omega, you need to get your head out of your asshole.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Suspended Oregon QB Masoli Dropped From Team
Associated Press
Jun. 9, 2010

EUGENE, Ore. -- Suspended Oregon quarterback Jeremiah Masoli was kicked off the team Wednesday, two days after a police officer cited him for marijuana possession and driving infractions.

In a statement, the university said Masoli was dropped because he did not "adhere to obligations" outlined by coach Chip Kelly. The coach, through a spokesman, declined to comment.

A Springfield police officer cited Masoli late Monday on charges of possessing less than one ounce of marijuana, driving with a suspended license and failure to stop when entering a roadway, said Sgt. Tom Borchers of the Springfield Police Department.

Masoli can either pay a fine or contest the accusations at a June 24 court appearance, Borchers said.

Kelly suspended Masoli in March for the entire 2010 season after the QB pleaded guilty to burglary for his role in the theft of laptops and a guitar from a fraternity. Masoli remained on scholarship and practiced with the team this spring in hopes of returning for the 2011 season.

Masoli has one season of eligibility remaining.

Masoli threw for 2,147 yards and 15 touchdowns last season. He also rushed for 668 yards and 13 touchdowns in a season that ended with a Rose Bowl loss to Ohio State.

The San Francisco native finished his Oregon career with 1,386 rushing yards, the most ever by a Ducks quarterback.

Omega, you need to get your head out of your asshole.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Suspended Oregon QB Masoli Dropped From Team
Associated Press
Jun. 9, 2010

EUGENE, Ore. -- Suspended Oregon quarterback Jeremiah Masoli was kicked off the team Wednesday, two days after a police officer cited him for marijuana possession and driving infractions.

In a statement, the university said Masoli was dropped because he did not "adhere to obligations" outlined by coach Chip Kelly. The coach, through a spokesman, declined to comment.

A Springfield police officer cited Masoli late Monday on charges of possessing less than one ounce of marijuana, driving with a suspended license and failure to stop when entering a roadway, said Sgt. Tom Borchers of the Springfield Police Department.

Masoli can either pay a fine or contest the accusations at a June 24 court appearance, Borchers said.

Kelly suspended Masoli in March for the entire 2010 season after the QB pleaded guilty to burglary for his role in the theft of laptops and a guitar from a fraternity. Masoli remained on scholarship and practiced with the team this spring in hopes of returning for the 2011 season.

Masoli has one season of eligibility remaining.

Masoli threw for 2,147 yards and 15 touchdowns last season. He also rushed for 668 yards and 13 touchdowns in a season that ended with a Rose Bowl loss to Ohio State.

The San Francisco native finished his Oregon career with 1,386 rushing yards, the most ever by a Ducks quarterback.

Further ...

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl dismissed senior forward Tyler Smith from the team on Friday, a week after his arrest with three other players on misdemeanor gun and drug charges.

"I am deeply troubled and saddened," Pearl said. "Playing basketball at the University of Tennessee is a privilege, and where conduct is displayed that is detrimental to the team and the university this discipline is required. Tyler has accomplished a great deal, and we are all disappointed his playing career at the University of Tennessee will end this way."

Smith's lawyer, Knoxville attorney Don Bosch, said, "I hope and believe that the misdemeanor cases against him will be resolved quickly and consistent with the thousands of other true first offenders in Knox County."

And Tyler Smith handled his issue much better than Royce did, Royce was lucky he got as many second chances as he did to try and come back. Honestly, I will be celebrating the day that Royce gets his waiver denied in excitement to hear him claim that this was all a set up by Obama to keep him from getting to the NBA and outplaying LeBron James and the Bulls ...

He was suspended due to the laptop situation. The U of M campus cops were using this as leverage to get him to turn on his friends. Royce wouldn't. Royce basically chose his posse of friends over being a Gopher. If he gives up a name, he's off the hook and on the team - simple as that. Being on the team was less important than being loyal to some of his menacing friends. Royce then QUIT the team and school. The campus cops had no leverage at that point and finally charged him with a lesser crime of trespassing. There's is some blame to go around (including the weekend warrior cops), but the bottom line is that being a Gopher was not all that important to Royce. Being in his posse of bad influence was/is. He made his bed. He chose to bring this group of non-students into a dorm with him just two weeks after the shoplifting thing. And, they got him in trouble. It pissed off the coaching staff and they told him he could be a Gopher if he chose to be a Gopher. That meant in any future dealings he had to choose his teammates over his posse. Royce balked. Royce is not a Gopher.

Great post. Thank you.

Go Gophers

See ya, I can only think of the movie the basketball diaries. When a junkie Decaprio is watching his former friend play in the Mcdonald's All America game. I hope Rodney Williams improves and makes it in the NBA. Then in 3-4 years Royce can see him playing and making big bucks. Royce will be trying to catch on with some developmental team who is giving him his 5th chance. But he doesnt always show for practice because he's doin his music, and he's late because of the traffic, and he's not in shape because his mom doesn't cook right, .... GROW UP!!

See ya, I can only think of the movie the basketball diaries. When a junkie Decaprio is watching his former friend play in the Mcdonald's All America game. I hope Rodney Williams improves and makes it in the NBA. Then in 3-4 years Royce can see him playing and making big bucks. Royce will be trying to catch on with some developmental team who is giving him his 5th chance. But he doesnt always show for practice because he's doin his music, and he's late because of the traffic, and he's not in shape because his mom doesn't cook right, .... GROW UP!!

At the begining of the season, he was projected as the number 3 pick overall by NBAdraft.net in 2-3 years (forgot which draft they listed him on) if he stayed in school and improved. So i'd say he's got a decent shot depending how his development goes.

While rehashing the trespassing incident, it is important to remember that Royce had just prior lifted merchandise at the MOA. As to who to blame, the "weekend warrior cops" and this and that, there is only one person who put himself into these situations: Royce White. He could play basketball tomorrow for the University of Mars and there would still be one constant, what resides within the immature mind of Royce White.

I am so pleased that the baggage brought to the Gophers by Royce has essentially chosen to walk out the door once and for all. Enough of the drama queen who distracted the Gophers program in 2009/10. Although I found the YouTube videos and media bites, furnished by Royce neatly timed to draw attention to him instead of the warriors on the court, somewhat amusing.

Moreover, the Trevor situation will hopefully be resolved for the better or worse by the time the team begins training for Canada. That's my next hope.

Please Royce, Please .....

don't change your mind!

seriously, Royce, you're not playing college basketball next year. :) hahaha. I can't believe you would even think that is an option. You will be lucky to play JUCO, maybe thats what you meant.

Spot on! I agree 100%. For the same reason I cannot see him moving away from his crew to be in Kentucky or LA or even some small town with a NBADL team . However this is his choice to make. He is under no obligation to be a basketball player.

Further ...

And Tyler Smith handled his issue much better than Royce did, Royce was lucky he got as many second chances as he did to try and come back. Honestly, I will be celebrating the day that Royce gets his waiver denied in excitement to hear him claim that this was all a set up by Obama to keep him from getting to the NBA and outplaying LeBron James and the Bulls ...

Don't act like Kelly and Bruce Pearl are saints who stick to their guns. Kelly suspended Masoli for theft and let him go after he was arrested a second time (Royce wasn't), and Bruce also let the other 3 guys back on the team with a slap on the wrist so they could get to the elite 8. Royce was arrested once, and never charged with the laptop theft. There are plenty of other Oregon players that haven't been kicked off the team.

I think there is no reason to get on your high horse or kick Royce while he is down. He wanted to come back, and somebody didn't let him. People keep asking him if he'll come back because plenty of people want him back. There have been a ton of guys with criminal records that have led teams to a final four.

Top Bottom