Marcus: Trevor to hear on waiver by end of June; Royce will become member of UK

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per these two tweets:

"I heard Trevor Mbakwe is expected to hear back from the NCAA on his transfer waiver request at end of this month."

"Royce White will become a member of the Kentucky Wildcats, a source told Nation of Blue. But I haven't heard it is a done deal yet."

Go Gophers!!

:cool:One more reason for me to root hard for UK as my #2 team. Or not.

In all seriousness, if they're taking Royce, I'd personally like to thank UK and Coach Cal for taking him. Perhaps it will mean the end of the multitude of will-he or won't-he play for the Gophers threads on this site?

I'll set the over-under on Royce ever stepping foot in a UK classroom or still being on UK's campus at January 10, 2011. I'll take the under.

In all seriousness, if they're taking Royce, I'd personally like to thank UK and Coach Cal for taking him. Perhaps it will mean the end of the multitude of will-he or won't-he play for the Gophers threads on this site?

I'll set the over-under on Royce still being on UK's campus at January 10, 2011.

Interesting that in the link above they seem to think he'll be able to play Spring Semester. This seems unlikely. Whatever Trevor's chances of getting a waiver are, Royce's are about 25% of that.

Posted this comment on the article ... apparently the author doesnt understand NCAA rules very well.

"Royce White will not be eligible spring semester regardless of academics, him leaving Minnesota to Kentucky is considered a transfer by the NCAA and therefore would require he sit out an entire year (unless granted a waiver by the NCAA, but assault and trespassing convictions rarely get you a waiver) If he attends school for the entire school year at KU, he will then be eligible for the 2011 - 2012 season."

all of that is considering he stay out of trouble at Kentucky.

I suppose the Mbakwe waiver decision, however, will be a nice precedent for the eventual Royce White waiver decision. Frankly, the entire time he was a gopher and even after he dropped out i was a big Royce White fan. At this point i couldnt care less if he ever puts on a basketball jersey for anyone in his life. He belongs living the career of Smush Parker.

per these two tweets:

"I heard Trevor Mbakwe is expected to hear back from the NCAA on his transfer waiver request at end of this month."

"Royce White will become a member of the Kentucky Wildcats, a source told Nation of Blue. But I haven't heard it is a done deal yet."

Go Gophers!!

Dear Marcus:

1. Royce White is ineligible to receive NCAA scholarship in fall semester. He left Minnesota in poor academic standing by dropping out spring semester. Who will pay his UK tuition/room & board/etc as walk-on?

2. He will need to attend UK for 12 months (two semesters) before he is eligible to play.

The move makes sense for White. I hope that White gets the priority straight this time. No posses.

The Beauty of being Cal at UK

Calipari has no worries if Royce shows up or not...if he doesn't he will easily fill the scholarship with another 4-5 STAR. Unlike the Gophers, who rarely get a 5 star and as a result cut RW too much slack...not saying that he shouldn't be able to play....just saying the he needs to make up his mind and stay committed (don't drop out)

....just saying the he needs to make up his mind and stay committed (don't drop out)

How can you stay committed when you haven't committed yourself in the first place? Not sure who's the bigger joke--White or all of the people still concerned about him.

Dear Marcus:

1. Royce White is ineligible to receive NCAA scholarship in fall semester. He left Minnesota in poor academic standing by dropping out spring semester. Who will pay his UK tuition/room & board/etc as walk-on?

2. He will need to attend UK for 12 months (two semesters) before he is eligible to play.

I don't know the specifics but you used to be able to drop as many classes as you wanted before a specific date. I would hope that he dropped out within that time period. If not, wow, that is tough. He is not going to be eligible next year no matter what he does in that scenario. JUCO would be his only alternative.

I just threw up. :) There goes Royce's "i;m loyal to minnesota" bit. If he wins a championship at UK being the star player on the team, will you miss him?

I just threw up. :) There goes Royce's "i;m loyal to minnesota" bit. If he wins a championship at UK being the star player on the team, will you miss him?

Well whatever championship he'd win with Coach Cal will probably be out of the books within 5 years, so no.

JUCO would be his only alternative.

Maye to play next season, but why couldn't he attend UK for a season and practice with the team. They can't give him a scholarship for tuition, but they could possibly move him into player housing for for the year.

I would be willing to bet quite a bit of money that he never ends up playing in a game for them.

Do the NCAA rules say that he can't step on the court for a year or that he can't receive a scholarship for a year (but still walk on)?

Do the NCAA rules say that he can't step on the court for a year or that he can't receive a scholarship for a year (but still walk on)?

As a transfer he can't play in a game for a year.

I would be willing to bet quite a bit of money that he never ends up playing in a game for them.

or any game of college or pro basketball ever for that matter ... I think most NBA teams would rather have Ndi Ebi right now than this kid.

IF:
Royce goes to class
Stays out of trouble outside of basketball
Listens on the court
Gets in shape
Loses his "entourage"
Plays a couple season of college basketball
Then:
He would have a chance at a championship, but I guarentee you he would not be the star player on the team. He is a top 30 player and they are getting lottery picks (top 5) guys every year.

Posted this comment on the article ... apparently the author doesnt understand NCAA rules very well.

"Royce White will not be eligible spring semester regardless of academics, him leaving Minnesota to Kentucky is considered a transfer by the NCAA and therefore would require he sit out an entire year (unless granted a waiver by the NCAA, but assault and trespassing convictions rarely get you a waiver) If he attends school for the entire school year at KU, he will then be eligible for the 2011 - 2012 season."

He needs two waivers. One for residency requirement and one for PTD (did not meet the 18 or 6). He needs more than 2 semesters to be eligible for 11-12, he will need a full summer too!

He can't step foot on the court.

Top Bottom