2010 recruit on the Gopher staff's radar - Chip Armelin

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The staff is keeping tabs on a few unsigned 2010 players in case they want to add a late addition to the class and GopherHole has learned that one of them is Chip Armelin, a two sport athlete out of Sulphur, Louisiana. The 6-3, 195lb SG hopes to play basketball over football in college and the staff has an eye on him as one they could add before the season.

god no. We don't need to waste a scholly on a SG when we have 3 for this year, and are offering 3or 4 for next year (Coleman, Oglesby, Jesperson, Crosby)

god no. We don't need to waste a scholly on a SG when we have 3 for this year, and are offering 3or 4 for next year (Coleman, Oglesby, Jesperson, Crosby)

Agreed, there are some pretty highly rated 2011 kids in Minnesota, why not wait and go for them.

Why not give the scholership to Stark for one year, with the stipulation that it is only one year.

I don't understand. The only signing that would make sense would be a PF, because we currently have no PF that will play fosure, ex: Trevor and Oto

The staff is keeping tabs on a few unsigned 2010 players in case they want to add a late addition to the class and GopherHole has learned that one of them is Chip Armelin, a two sport athlete out of Sulphur, Louisiana. The 6-3, 195lb SG hopes to play basketball over football in college and the staff has an eye on him as one they could add before the season.

Lefty noted for excellent outside shooting skills. 3X All-State choice in Class 5A.

Seems promising this late in the process.

Jesperson is F, not G.

It's Cosby, not Crosby. He's PG, not SG. And Gophers not recruiting him any more.

Oglesby can play PG and probably will in college.

You're all stupid who say signing this kid would be a great get. You sign a late recruit to fill a needed position, is SG a needed position in 2010-2011? Well we only have 3, Devoe, Hollins, Blake, all are capable of shooting I don't care how good of a shooter this new guy is. And second, as Cosby (sorry for the mistake), and Oglesby are listed as SGs, well wouldn't they be SGs? even if they can play the point they're primary position is SG, just like Devoe. And lastly, are you saying Jesperson can't play gaurd? He runs the point for his team and is no PF, so if he is listed as a SF, its the same as a gaurd in Tubby's 3 guard system.

You're all stupid who say signing this kid would be a great get. You sign a late recruit to fill a needed position, is SG a needed position in 2010-2011? Well we only have 3, Devoe, Hollins, Blake, all are capable of shooting I don't care how good of a shooter this new guy is. And second, as Cosby (sorry for the mistake), and Oglesby are listed as SGs, well wouldn't they be SGs? even if they can play the point they're primary position is SG, just like Devoe. And lastly, are you saying Jesperson can't play gaurd? He runs the point for his team and is no PF, so if he is listed as a SF, its the same as a gaurd in Tubby's 3 guard system.

By "all the people who say he would be a great get", you mean no one, right?

I agree with everything else you said though. I've never seen this kid play, but I'm not excited about the thought of recruiting him.

So many things wrong with this post...

How is "promising this late" translated into "great get" exactly?

Jesperson is a FORWARD, not a GUARD.

Cosby is a PG not listed as SG.

Oglesby plays both.

Perhaps "stupid" came to mind as you looked in the mirror???

His PG skills are stronger than his SG ones.

Can you link any stories that would suggest that? EVERY recruiting article I have seen on this kid say his strength is shooting the ball. EVERY article I see on this kid suggest his main thing to focus on improving is ball handling. One article says he is most comparable to Blake Hoffarber (similar size, similar skillset).

Now, maybe you've found a scouting report that suggests otherwise, but this kid will almost certainly get a majority of his minutes at the college level at SG. He could play PG in a pinch, but most scouts have indicated they believe he will not be a full time point guard at the next level, let alone even suggesting his PG skills are stronger than his SG skills.

No FoT you're definately right, Chip would be promising late? What ever that means.... My translation of that is, "He is a good get this late." How would you translate that?

Just a gut impression, but it seems to me we're looking for warm bodies right now.

People can get way too hung up on specific positions...

Jesperson I'd call a wing... btw, saw measurements from the NBPA Top 100 Camp.. tiny wingspan in comparsion to height... gotta double check those figures.

While he has played PG, I think recently Oglesby has mostly been playing with Wes Washpun running the point (both in high school and AAU)... he's got very good size, certainly see him as a wing in college.

Chip... Gophers have definitely been talking to the past week.

Can you link any stories that would suggest that? EVERY recruiting article I have seen on this kid say his strength is shooting the ball. EVERY article I see on this kid suggest his main thing to focus on improving is ball handling. One article says he is most comparable to Blake Hoffarber (similar size, similar skillset).

Now, maybe you've found a scouting report that suggests otherwise, but this kid will almost certainly get a majority of his minutes at the college level at SG. He could play PG in a pinch, but most scouts have indicated they believe he will not be a full time point guard at the next level, let alone even suggesting his PG skills are stronger than his SG skills.

Yep - already did (last week). Read those (different thread).

No FoT you're definately right, Chip would be promising late? What ever that means.... My translation of that is, "He is a good get this late." How would you translate that?

He's a 3X All-Stater being recruited by LSU and Ga Tech. What do you know that they don't???

NBA Slam (On Line) Magazine Last Summer

Said this about Armelin:

I-10 Elite Camp, Baton Rouge

–Chip Armelin, 6-2 rising senior combo guard, Sulphur (LA): Nicknamed “Teen Wolf” by my GreyTone partner-in-crime Toney Blare after witnessing him go off in a state playoff game last season (you had to be there), Armelin’s athleticism, deep range and shot-creating ability were all on display at the camp, but the scorer also showed he has some point-guard skills.

If a prospect is available this late, it usually means 1 of 2 things:

(1) It's a marginal high-major prospect who is holding out as long as possible to get a high-major offer; or

(2) The prospect has serious academic and/or off-court issues that even the big-time programs are likely to shy away from.

He's a 3X All-Stater being recruited by LSU and Ga Tech. What do you know that they don't???

As I stated maybe 3 times, we have 3 sgs on the roster, and we are recruiting 3 for next year, don't say Oglesby is a pg, don't say Jesperson can't play wing, don't say Coleman will grow 5 inches and become a PF like his brother. Plain and simple, I know that we don't need a SG.

As I stated maybe 3 times, we have 3 sgs on the roster, and we are recruiting 3 for next year, don't say Oglesby is a pg, don't say Jesperson can't play wing, don't say Coleman will grow 5 inches and become a PF like his brother. Plain and simple, I know that we don't need a SG.

The only reason I could see us needing a SG THIS year is because of our lack of depth at PG. If you play Devoe exclusivley at SG, at PG you have Al and Maverick. Not great depth. And at SG you have Devoe, Blake and Hollins (who will both also spend time at SF in a 3-guard line-up - since we are somewhat short at SF) By picking up another SG you move Devoe exclusivley to PG, or with limited minutes at SG and suddenly at PG you have Al, Devoe and Maverick. At SG you have Blake, Hollins, and Chip. The additional depth allows Tubby to go three guard more often and not drain his players, which he will need to do with only one "true" SF on the roster in Rodney.

The only other option is walk on PG/SG Eric Stark. Which is an arguable option too, as he won't tie up a scholarship for next year, but may not be as talented as Chip and do you really want a walk on getting that many minutes?

If Chip does come to MN and we get a SF (Jesperson) and SG (Coleman) he becomes a little less valuable, but with Blake and Al being gone (and possibly Devoe going pro if he has a phenominal year at PG) the depth is an issue once again and both Coleman and Jesperson are needed.

Yes Devoe was listed as a SG when being recruited, but if he does have any aspirations to go to the NBA it will NOT come as a SG, he needs to play PG if he wants to have success at the next level. And he will have a higher draft stock if he can prove to NBA GM's that he can play PG in college instead of them having to hope they can convert them to a PG like our great luck with Randy Foye.

The only reason I could see us needing a SG THIS year is because of our lack of depth at PG. If you play Devoe exclusivley at SG, at PG you have Al and Maverick. Not great depth. And at SG you have Devoe, Blake and Hollins (who will both also spend time at SF in a 3-guard line-up - since we are somewhat short at SF) By picking up another SG you move Devoe exclusivley to PG, or with limited minutes at SG and suddenly at PG you have Al, Devoe and Maverick. At SG you have Blake, Hollins, and Chip. The additional depth allows Tubby to go three guard more often and not drain his players, which he will need to do with only one "true" SF on the roster in Rodney.

The only other option is walk on PG/SG Eric Stark. Which is an arguable option too, as he won't tie up a scholarship for next year, but may not be as talented as Chip and do you really want a walk on getting that many minutes?

If Chip does come to MN and we get a SF (Jesperson) and SG (Coleman) he becomes a little less valuable, but with Blake and Al being gone (and possibly Devoe going pro if he has a phenominal year at PG) the depth is an issue once again and both Coleman and Jesperson are needed.

Yes Devoe was listed as a SG when being recruited, but if he does have any aspirations to go to the NBA it will NOT come as a SG, he needs to play PG if he wants to have success at the next level. And he will have a higher draft stock if he can prove to NBA GM's that he can play PG in college instead of them having to hope they can convert them to a PG like our great luck with Randy Foye.

Maverick can play SG too, I don't see your point about being depleted at that position.
PG-Al Nolen
PG/SG- Maverick
PG/SG- Devoe
SG- Hollins, prolly could play PG with his bball IQ and handling abilities
SG/SF- Hoff
SF- Rodney, I mean, you have 4 guys that can play SG if needed. So do you really need 5?

Maverick can play SG too, I don't see your point about being depleted at that position.
PG-Al Nolen
PG/SG- Maverick
PG/SG- Devoe
SG- Hollins, prolly could play PG with his bball IQ and handling abilities
SG/SF- Hoff
SF- Rodney, I mean, you have 4 guys that can play SG if needed. So do you really need 5?

Because you only have 2 who can play SF. So Blake and Rodney will almost play exclusivley there. So take them out as SG's. and you have 4 plays splitting duties at PG and SG, and 3 of them are PG's. Plus two are freshman and one was suspended for the second half of last year. add in possible injuries and more suspensions, the extra insurance is not a bad thing really other than it taking up a scholarship which could prove more costly than it is worth.

Because you only have 2 who can play SF. So Blake and Rodney will almost play exclusivley there. So take them out as SG's. and you have 4 plays splitting duties at PG and SG, and 3 of them are PG's. Plus two are freshman and one was suspended for the second half of last year. add in possible injuries and more suspensions, the extra insurance is not a bad thing really other than it taking up a scholarship which could prove more costly than it is worth.

I really don't get your logic. So Devoe and Maverick CANNOT play SG just becuse they sometimes play PG? and Blake and Rodney CANNOT play on the same lineup? :confused: I wasn't aware their were rules as to how Tubby makes a lineup? :rolleyes:

I really don't get your logic. So Devoe and Maverick CANNOT play SG just becuse they sometimes play PG? and Blake and Rodney CANNOT play on the same lineup? :confused: I wasn't aware their were rules as to how Tubby makes a lineup? :rolleyes:

no, they are able too. but unfortunatley most gopher plays can not play 40 minutes a game. and that would mean significant minutes for maverick and hollins (two freshman) and Al.

Based somewhat on how minutes stacked up last year, but increasing them some too for each player, here is how your minute breakdown would look as of now.

PG
Joseph 18
Nolen 17
Anamasi 5

SG
Hoffarber 8
Hollins 22
Joseph 10

SF
Williams 20
Hoffarber 20

Not a bad set up at PG, 5 minutes for Maverick seems fine and Devoe and Al split time essentially.

SG is the issue. Hollins playing 22 minutes as a freshman??? That is more than Paul Carter, Colton Iverson, or Rodney Williams had last year. Where as bring in Chip, and you can split that 22 between Austin and him if you'd like, putting them at 11 a game each, which is where Rodney was last year as a freshman.

At SF, you are doubling Rodney's minutes, which depending on how his offseason went is either just fine, or a huge detriment to the team.

However, if Royce comes back ... (yes, here we go again) he takes some of Blake's SF minutes and some of Rodney's and then Blake takes some of Hollins SG minutes and all is fine and good. But with no Royce, that is a lot of minutes for Hollins to have as a freshman. Granted, he may be able to handle it as the son of an NBA coach and Rodney may be able to handle the extra minutes too. But that's a risk Tubby would have to decide if he wants to take.

no, they are able too. but unfortunatley most gopher plays can not play 40 minutes a game. and that would mean significant minutes for maverick and hollins (two freshman) and Al.

Based somewhat on how minutes stacked up last year, but increasing them some too for each player, here is how your minute breakdown would look as of now.

PG
Joseph 18
Nolen 17
Anamasi 5

SG
Hoffarber 8
Hollins 22
Joseph 10

SF
Williams 20
Hoffarber 20

Not a bad set up at PG, 5 minutes for Maverick seems fine and Devoe and Al split time essentially.

SG is the issue. Hollins playing 22 minutes as a freshman??? That is more than Paul Carter, Colton Iverson, or Rodney Williams had last year. Where as bring in Chip, and you can split that 22 between Austin and him if you'd like, putting them at 11 a game each, which is where Rodney was last year as a freshman.

At SF, you are doubling Rodney's minutes, which depending on how his offseason went is either just fine, or a huge detriment to the team.

However, if Royce comes back ... (yes, here we go again) he takes some of Blake's SF minutes and some of Rodney's and then Blake takes some of Hollins SG minutes and all is fine and good. But with no Royce, that is a lot of minutes for Hollins to have as a freshman. Granted, he may be able to handle it as the son of an NBA coach and Rodney may be able to handle the extra minutes too. But that's a risk Tubby would have to decide if he wants to take.

All that makes sense more, but as you said, I'm banking on the fact that Hollins knows what hes doing and we'll be fine. Didn't you get the news, Royce is playing for UK it looks like.

All that makes sense more, but as you said, I'm banking on the fact that Hollins knows what hes doing and we'll be fine. Didn't you get the news, Royce is playing for UK it looks like.

Yes. If Hollins and Rodney had good offseasons / are able to contribute right away, which they may be able too, i honestly have no clue, then there is no issue. But, if Tubby is at all nervous about that or the risk of losing players is getting to him, which has happened like crazy here, he may want that insurance of another player.

Also possible is Tubby is still recruiting to make it clear to Trevor and Royce that they are replaceable to him and they need MN more than MN needs them. He isn't going to save those scholarships for players who requested to leave. So Royce and Trevor know that if they want to come back they need to figure things out now, or Tubby can and will find someone else who wants to be here.

As far as banking them, I'm not sure how Tubby feels about that at all. He may eventually end up doing that. I dont know of his history with banking scholarships.

Top Bottom