Seth Davis posted his column today

ilovethebarn

Reaction score
He listed his vote for AP top 25 and didn't list us in his top 25. Here is what he said in regards to us:

"I'm also mystified why Minnesota warrants being ranked 18th. Its best win came on a neutral court against a Louisville team that played horribly. Besides that, the Golden Gophers have done bupkus."

I guess everyone has their own opinion. Can't win over everyone. Let's beat the Badgers and show him what we are made of.

He listed his vote for AP top 25 and didn't list us in his top 25. Here is what he said in regards to us:

"I'm also mystified why Minnesota warrants being ranked 18th. Its best win came on a neutral court against a Louisville team that played horribly. Besides that, the Golden Gophers have done bupkus."

I guess everyone has their own opinion. Can't win over everyone. Let's beat the Badgers and show him what we are made of.

Beating PSU by 20 who beat the media loved Purdue. Iowa on the road, yes it was ugly but a win is a win. Beat a top 25 L'ville. One loss to the best team in the big 10. Yeah he's right we're not worthy!

Guys like this make people like you drink at 2 in the afternoon

Ignore Seth Davis. This guy hates Tubby. He's been writing nothing but negative things about anything related to Tubby for years. He even said that Kentucky doesn't deserve a #1 seed in 2003, despite the fact they went undefeated in conference place and won the SEC Championship. I really don't get him. Minnesota could go to the Final Four and he'll write something negative.

Minnesota is #18 because we're 15-1. Yes, the schedule wasn't the toughest, but they beat everyone they're supposed to beat. A lot of other teams play soft schedules and still lose...err..Kentucky. So at least we do win. And he totally discounted the Louisville victory. Could it be that Louisville played horrible because our defense was stellar?

Other than having an opinion, who is Seth Davis, what are his qualifications and why is his opinion worth reading?

I understand Davis' logic. ...

and have no problem with his explanation, but is he applying the same logic equally to every team?

Case in point, the UCLA Bruins.

UCLA has a gaudy record of 13-2. Like the Gophers, the Bruins' nonconference schedule is nothing to write home about. I submit UCLA's 13 wins, a who's who of teams that have done nothing this season. ... Prairie View A&M, Miami-Ohio, Southern Illinois, FIU, Northridge State, DePaul, Loyola Marymount, Mercer, Wyoming, Louisiana Tech, Oregon State, Oregon and USC. The Bruins lost both of their high-profile games (Michigan on a neutral court and Texas on the road).

I would argue that the Gophers took care of business in their only high-profile game, and it wasn't on their home court. That's more than UCLA can say. The Bruins thus far have failed on their two opportunities.

I won't be found defending the Gophers' NC schedule very often this season, but stack it up against UCLA's to this point and there's not much difference.

Simply put, Seth Davis is a know-it-all who knows very little. It is incredible the things I hear this man spout during the NCAA Tournament. Clark Kellogg must have nightmares about not only having to work with Davis, but getting stuck being associated with him. It is an insult to a great basketball brain like Clark that he is asked to exchange basketball ideas and concepts on national television with a dimwitted lightweight like Davis.

Seth Davis is a hack just like his father. His father is the only reason he has a job at CBS. Seth has no qualifications whatsoever to give opinions on any sport. He's probably never even lifted a basketball in his life.

Also in Davis' column. ... James Eayrs

Lost in the shuffle of Davis' column is his mention of UW-Milwaukee's James Eayrs. This kid is a unique player and he's from Roseville, I think. He's a wide-body with nice touch from three-point land.

• If you're channel surfing off the beaten path, keep an eye out for Wisconsin-Milwaukee's 6-7 junior forward James Eayrs, a juco transfer who is listed on the roster at 340 pounds but has reportedly slimmed down to a svelte 310. Despite his ursine frame, Eayrs has light feet and made 18 three-pointers in his first 15 games. He reminds me of Robert "Tractor" Traylor.

Motivation

Not that the Gophers need any more motivation, but Seth Davis' comments could be used in a positive way for the Gophers.

Great point about UCLA SS. I totally agree with you and when stats like that are included it is tough for Seth Davis to back up his statements.

I don't really have a problem with Davis questioning Minnesota's ranking. I think #18 is a bit high considering the weakness of their competition. I'm not saying the Gophs absolutely don't deserve to be where we are, I just think the jury is still out. There are times where they look like a legit top 20 team (PSU game, Louisville game, last 15 minutes vs. Cornell) and the there are times where they look like a fringe NIT squad (Colorado St., Michigan St., first 25 minutes of Cornell game)

All this speculation is basically irrelevant. Who cares what a bunch of talking head think in early January? Sure it's fun to track the polls, but does it really matter? Once they get games against Wisky, Illinois, Michigan & Purdue under out belts we should be able to gauge where they stand more accurately. If they have good showings against teams of that caliber, pundits won't be slighting them.

I am thinking that the majority of the "good showings" you talk about Maroon will have to be wins. This is the only way to shut em up. But as many of the people on the boards have said let's just focus on the next game and not worry about anything else. Let's enjoy the ride.

Usually, I try to give Davis the benefit of the doubt, but then I heard him this weekend during the Michigan State broadcast say he doesn't think that any team from the SEC West will make the NCAA Tournament, to which the other commentator brought up Arkansas.

Davis' response?: "Well, they need to beat somebody first." I guess beating two top-10 teams in a week counts as not beating anybody. :rolleyes: From this, I gather that Davis has his biases and sticks to them no matter what. Good thing he doesn't have any say on the NCAA Tournament selection process.

As an aside, can someone remind me as to whether he was one of the writers who slammed Tubby for leaving Kentucky for lowly Minnesota? I know Doyell did over at CBS, but was Davis in the same boat? If the answer is yes, then I know everything I need to about Mr. Davis

I would like to buy Seth Davis for what he is worth, and sell him for what HE thinks he's worth, I would be a wealthy, wealthy, retired man. He's a DICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not to get too far off topic here, but wasn't Lanny Davis one of the Clintonites that was still holding out hope that Hillary could somehow rally back to beat Obama when it was completely obvious that she wasn't the democratic nominee??

I seem to recall some dimwit named Davis (along with Terry McAuliffe :rolleyes:) who kept on saying "she still has a chance" even though everyone with a brain knew she had lost...

Not to get too far off topic here, but wasn't Lanny Davis one of the Clintonites that was still holding out hope that Hillary could somehow rally back to beat Obama when it was completely obvious that she wasn't the democratic nominee??
Yeah, he was borderline insane on that CNN interview.

David Gergen's reaction to Lanny's comments seemed to imply that Gergen thought he should be put in a straight-jacket, and they've been friends for 25 years.

Showin'

Thanks. I thought that was him, but wasn't sure. That interview sure made for some good entertainment!!!;):p

Seth Davis is a boob...

...but not just because of his opinion regarding Tubby and the Gophers. Besides....I'm just fine with others looking past us for as long as possible. This might be my favorite comment from a poster on this board in quite some time:

"It is an insult to a great basketball brain like Clark that he is asked to exchange basketball ideas and concepts on national television with a dimwitted lightweight like Davis."

Simply beautiful.... :)

The funny thing is we never seem to be sure how good this team is. Certainly they are a pleasant surprise so far. But, many of us seem to feel that the next game well define this team and give us an idea of how good they are. But, we are still looking to the next game. If we beat Wisconsin, will that do it? I wonder. I think we are probably 2 or 3 games from really getting a handle on this team. I guess the big question is " can they play at a consistantly high level.

figi....Great question at the end of your post...IMO that is where Tubby comes in, and I have confidence in Tubby having his TEAM prepared to continue this high level....Time will tell.

Other than having an opinion, who is Seth Davis, what are his qualifications and why is his opinion worth reading?

Seth Davis is a writer for Sports Illustrated magazine and he is an in-studio analyst for CBS' NCAA men's college basketball coverage with Clark Kellogg and host Greg Gumbel; Davis attended Duke University; he graduated in 1992 with a degree in Political Science, and was a host of a sports related cable television show on Cable 13. He also was a sports columnist for the university's daily campus newspaper, The Chronicle. Davis was born in Connecticut and raised in Potomac, Maryland, and now lives in Connecticut.
Davis began writing at Sports Illustrated in July 1995. He is currently a staff writer for SI and authors the Inside College Basketball column during the college basketball season. Before joining Sports Illustrated, Davis spent several years at The New Haven Register, where he wrote about various sports, including the NFL, NBA, college basketball and local high school sports.
As a child, Davis attended Camp Equinunk in Equinunk, Pennsylvania. In 1999, he returned to Equinunk to write Equinunk, Tell Your Story about his experiences as a camp counselor.
Davis is the son of former White House Special Counsel to the President for Bill Clinton Lanny Davis.

What this guy writes is totally insignificant. It doesn't even effect recruiting. If we go the rest of the conference schedule and lose 2 more games we get a real high seed no matter what he writes. If we lose the next 10 we don't get in no matter what we write. Basketball, unlike football is settled on the court. Now let's beat Wisconsin!

Seth Davis is a writer for Sports Illustrated magazine and he is an in-studio analyst for CBS' NCAA men's college basketball coverage with Clark Kellogg and host Greg Gumbel; Davis attended Duke University; he graduated in 1992 with a degree in Political Science, and was a host of a sports related cable television show on Cable 13. He also was a sports columnist for the university's daily campus newspaper, The Chronicle. Davis was born in Connecticut and raised in Potomac, Maryland, and now lives in Connecticut.
Davis began writing at Sports Illustrated in July 1995. He is currently a staff writer for SI and authors the Inside College Basketball column during the college basketball season. Before joining Sports Illustrated, Davis spent several years at The New Haven Register, where he wrote about various sports, including the NFL, NBA, college basketball and local high school sports.
As a child, Davis attended Camp Equinunk in Equinunk, Pennsylvania. In 1999, he returned to Equinunk to write Equinunk, Tell Your Story about his experiences as a camp counselor.
Davis is the son of former White House Special Counsel to the President for Bill Clinton Lanny Davis.

Wow...thanks for the info and work in answering my question!

seth davis must be kind of like my sisters husband;

often wrong but seldom in doubt.

Seth Davis is a hack just like his father. His father is the only reason he has a job at CBS. Seth has no qualifications whatsoever to give opinions on any sport. He's probably never even lifted a basketball in his life.

I'm certain that he's played basketball before ... in Fall of 2008 he participated in Tom Izzo's practice where he invites print media and TV/radio media to play against each other. Almost all of the media members in attendance were locals, but Seth Davis just loves Izzo so much that he decided to come to East Lansing to participate (I believe 2008 was the second year that Izzo's staged that sort of practice). The practice is a fun exercise that Izzo partly uses to show the media just how hard it is to execute plays and play organized basketball.

But the short story is Davis views the Big Ten as MSU's playground and you're judged by how well you do (or don't do) against MSU ... obviously, Minnesota didn't play especially well against MSU, so that's the real reason he isn't ranking the Gophers (aside from the general lack of wins over top-25 teams not named "Louisville").

Top Bottom