Puerto Rico Tip-Off won't be seeded

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
According to a tournament spokesperson, Puerto Rico pairings will be announced in mid to late July. She said teams will not be seeded 1-8.

With no seeding, an educated guess would be that the 3 NCAA Tournament teams from last year (Gophers, Vandy, West Virginia) + North Carolina will not play one another in the first round. That leaves the other four (Davidson, Hofstra, Nebraska & Western Kentucky) as their first-round opponents.

Not from an RPI standpoint at all, but I wouldn't mind playing Nebraska to start off -- get a sneak peak at our newest member!

Let's start with UNC

If won't happen, but I'd like the Gophers to play North Carolina right out of the chute. Might as well find out where we're at right away.

Maybe beating the Tar Teels propels the Gophers on the path of the 1994 Great Alaska Shootout. ... wins over Arizona, Villanova & BYU (all eventual NCAA Tournament teams) for the program's most notable in-season tourney crown ever.

I expect to be in PR and would love to see the opener be vs UNC.

Townsend Orr had a very nice run during the '94 Shootout, MVP. Sometimes you never knew what TO was going to do, but on that trip he was really fun to watch. He was the best guard on the court for that tourney and that includes Vashon and Damon Stoudamire.

TO

TO is one of my all-time Gopher favorites, in part because he came from Quinn Buckner's alma mater (Thornridge), but mostly because he always played with great energy. I think there was another great guard in that tournament, Kerry Kittles from Villanova.

You hit it on the head with TO, Sal, he was like a box of chocolates (to borrow from Forrest Gump). ... you never knew what you were going to get.

Puerto Rico

Has anyone gone to this tournament in the past? We are thinking of going and would like any feedback/tips from someone who has gone.

PR

We're already booked - four of us at the Hilton Condado Plaza. The flight/hotel packages were surprisingly affordable.

Top Bottom