Big East reportedly considering Memphis, UCF

I'm half expecting Memphis to end up in the Big 12. Would be a good fit for basketball. Strong program, but weak academically, like most of the schools in the Big 12.

I'm half expecting Memphis to end up in the Big 12. Would be a good fit for basketball. Strong program, but weak academically, like most of the schools in the Big 12.

Nah. Football is the driver here, and Memphis' football program sucks.

The Big East wouldn't care, because the Big East is pretty bad in football anyway. The question is, who is planning on leaving if they're considering these two? They can't possibly go bigger than 16 for basketball, can they?

You'll see TCU or Houston in the Big 12 eons before Memphis.

I don't understand the point of this. If they had gotten raided in the expansion efforts, OK. But an 18-team basketball league? Seriously? I understand what adding a quality team in Memphis and the Orlando TV market does, but at some point it becomes ridiculous. What are they going to do, go to a 17 game schedule and play everyone once? Pretty hard to foster rivalaries that way. The whole season is like one long Non-conference schedule.

And I don't see what going from 8 teams to 10 does for the football conference, especially two fairly weak programs. If they had been raided or felt they were soon going to be raided, this would make sense. But it doesn't appear likely to happen anytime soon, and UCF and Memphis aren't going to be snapped up by anyone else. What's the rush?

I don't understand the point of this. If they had gotten raided in the expansion efforts, OK. But an 18-team basketball league? Seriously? I understand what adding a quality team in Memphis and the Orlando TV market does, but at some point it becomes ridiculous. What are they going to do, go to a 17 game schedule and play everyone once? Pretty hard to foster rivalaries that way. The whole season is like one long Non-conference schedule.

And I don't see what going from 8 teams to 10 does for the football conference, especially two fairly weak programs. If they had been raided or felt they were soon going to be raided, this would make sense. But it doesn't appear likely to happen anytime soon, and UCF and Memphis aren't going to be snapped up by anyone else. What's the rush?

The Big East is playing a different version of All Your Base Are Belong To Us -- instead, All Your Basketball Team Are Belong To Us. I think they want to swallow every team out there!

Top Bottom