Looks like Texas isn't moving

Sounds like Texas prefers to be the big fish in a small pond versus having to share the pond with other big fish. Can't say that I blame them. I prefer a more regional approach to conferences and Texas' actions preserve that concept for at least a little while longer.

Yeah, I agree with your post Holy Man.

Who else does the Pac-10 go for or do they stop at 11. Colorado is an important market but what other markets in the West would add something they don't already have. Kind of leaves them in a bind. It seems they eventually have to look at one of the Nevada schools as that market grows.

I wonder if Nebraska regrets leaving? How much more TV money will it get than if it had stayed in the B12?

Lots. Especially because the B12 revenue sharing was slanted to cater to Texas, even though Texas is already raking in the money hand over fist.

Right now the Pac 10 is stuck at 11.. they need to get to 12 somehow. My guess is they hold off for a bit longer to see what happens, then if necessary, go back and pick up Boise State.

I think the Pac 10 picks up Utah if they want 12.

Why is Utah mentioned over BYU? Just curious.

Lots. Especially because the B12 revenue sharing was slanted to cater to Texas, even though Texas is already raking in the money hand over fist.

Right now the Pac 10 is stuck at 11.. they need to get to 12 somehow. My guess is they hold off for a bit longer to see what happens, then if necessary, go back and pick up Boise State.

Nebraska fans are very happy with the switch. Texas will still make the lion's share of the TV money. Beebe and the Big 12 bowed to the Longhorns and let them have their own TV station. The Pac 10 was not going to let the Longhorns do that. The rest of the Big 12 followed Texas like little puppies.

Looks like ABC, ESPN and Fox struck a deal with the Big 12-Lite (as it was called in the article). Texas definitely has the juice in that conference. Interesting how it all played out. One side note, Ken Starr is the president of Baylor (yes THAT Ken Starr, kept seeing the name, but didn't think it was the same guy) article from Orangebloods.com http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1094372 Sorry for being a dummy, I meant to post this on this thread, I originally posted it on the Nebraska thread.

Why is Utah mentioned over BYU? Just curious.

The old saying about BYU fans traveling to Bowl Games was 'they bring with them the 10 Commandments and a $20 and don't break either'. I'm not sure Utah fans would be significantly different, but that is a factor.

Nebraska fans are very happy with the switch. Texas will still make the lion's share of the TV money. Beebe and the Big 12 bowed to the Longhorns and let them have their own TV station. The Pac 10 was not going to let the Longhorns do that. The rest of the Big 12 followed Texas like little puppies.

Exactly, OU, UT, and A&M want the rest of the schools as well to sign over their shares of the exit fees that Colorado and Nebraska may have to pay to them, all for the privilege of being in a conference with them. Also, the TV deal for the Big 12 is far from a done deal and the the Big 12 commissioner even stated himself that the projected revenue he THINKS he can get when a new deal are from estimates from consultants only. They cannot even work or sign a new deal for another year and the deal that they would like to propose is a 18 year deal. In 3-5 years that deal would be outdated/subpar as the rest of the conferences sign newer and larger TV deals. I guess that Texas Tech and Okie State are not happy about it however and at best all of this is going to do is sustain the conference for a couple more years. There is way to much bad blood here for this to work long term. You also have A&M that is upset because they feel like Texas helped to kill their SEC deal.

Exactly, OU, UT, and A&M want the rest of the schools as well to sign over their shares of the exit fees that Colorado and Nebraska may have to pay to them, all for the privilege of being in a conference with them. Also, the TV deal for the Big 12 is far from a done deal and the the Big 12 commissioner even stated himself that the projected revenue he THINKS he can get when a new deal are from estimates from consultants only. They cannot even work or sign a new deal for another year and the deal that they would like to propose is a 18 year deal. In 3-5 years that deal would be outdated/subpar as the rest of the conferences sign newer and larger TV deals. I guess that Texas Tech and Okie State are not happy about it however and at best all of this is going to do is sustain the conference for a couple more years. There is way to much bad blood here for this to work long term. You also have A&M that is upset because they feel like Texas helped to kill their SEC deal.

Right on the button GopherGod, I kept assuming it was as good as done "The big news coming out of today’s session was that there is no actual new television agreement — just a goal of getting a new contract with broadcast partners FOX, ABC and ESPN."

Agreed.

Does anyone know how much the exit fees are that Nebraska and Colorado will have to pay.

Agreed.

Does anyone know how much the exit fees are that Nebraska and Colorado will have to pay.

I have heard figures anywhere from 10-14 million each. However, the UNL chancellor Harvey Perlman(also former law school dean) believes that Nebraska may not have to pay anything or they are atleast willing to fight it in court. According to him there is not a specific penalty fee for leaving the conference, the other teams that remain must prove that they have been damaged financially by Nebraska and Colorado leaving and reparations can be given based on this. He is under the belief that this may be difficult for the schools to prove when the Big 12 commissioner himself is coming out and saying these schools only accounted for 8 % of revenue and that he is going to deliver this financial windfall to the remaining schools. I expect this to be drawn out in a long legal battle or for the Big 12 and the schools to settle for a lower amount.

I have heard figures anywhere from 10-14 million each. However, the UNL chancellor Harvey Perlman(also former law school dean) believes that Nebraska may not have to pay anything or they are atleast willing to fight it in court. According to him there is not a specific penalty fee for leaving the conference, the other teams that remain must prove that they have been damaged financially by Nebraska and Colorado leaving and reparations can be given based on this. He is under the belief that this may be difficult for the schools to prove when the Big 12 commissioner himself is coming out and saying these schools only accounted for 8 % of revenue and that he is going to deliver this financial windfall to the remaining schools. I expect this to be drawn out in a long legal battle or for the Big 12 and the schools to settle for a lower amount.

Thanks. I hadn't heard any figures or any of the legal debate.

Top Bottom