UW first Big Ten squad to release nonconference schedule

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Nov. 14: PRAIRIE VIEW A&M
Nov. 16: NORTH DAKOTA
Nov. 20: at UNLV**
Nov. 25: vs. Boston College, Cal**, Georgia, Manhattan, Notre Dame**, Temple** or Texas A&M** (Old Spice Classic)
Nov. 26: vs. TBD (Old Spice Classic)
Nov. 28: vs. TBD (Old Spice Classic)
Dec. 1: NC STATE (ACC/Big Ten Challenge)
Dec. 4: SOUTH DAKOTA
Dec. 8: MILWAUKEE
Dec. 11: at Marquette**
Dec. 13: GREEN BAY
Dec. 23: COPPIN STATE

**denotes 2010 NCAA qualifier

The home schedule looks like it was taken directly out of the Tubby Smith manual on job security. Still not as weak as the junk Tubby has been putting together recently, but it's not far behind.

Home schedule I'd give Tubby the edge over Bo this year.

Virginia, Siena, Wofford & Akron >

NC State & Green Bay.

Overall schedule I'd give the nod to Bo because of two difficult true road games (UNLV & Marquette) and an in-season tournament that at worst is equal to the field at the Puerto Rico Tip-Off.

Overall schedule I'd give the nod to Bo because of two difficult true road games (UNLV & Marquette)

SS, do you know if there's an agreement in place for UNLV and Marquette to play a return game in Madison within the next year or two? If so, this is much better than what we have come to expect from Tubby (i.e. no quality home opponents or BCS home games in addition to the mandatory ACC Challenge).

I'm pretty certain UNLV will return the game in Madison (GV Gopher or UWOle?), probably next season. The Badgers play Marquette every year, so the home team just alternates.

I'm pretty certain UNLV will return the game in Madison (GV Gopher or UWOle?), probably next season. The Badgers play Marquette every year, so the home team just alternates.

UNLV will be in Madison next season, as will Marquette.

I like the UNLV game, but it's a bit of a dropoff from the home-and-homes UW has had the last few seasons, which included Texas and Pitt. As noted, not a great home schedule, but there are five legitimate games away from Madison, which should prepare UW for the Big 10.

This schedule seems to be a little bit of a departure from what Wisconsin has done of late.

The thing that has impressed me about the schedules the Badgers have put together (prior to this one) is that they have been able to get winnable cupcake games without totally crushing their RPI. Wisconsin's schedule IMHO has been much more strategic than the Gophers.

The bad teams aren't as bad. Over the past three years, Wisconsin has only scheduled two teams that finished worse than 260 in the RPI for home games. And one of those was a Horizon League team that was supposed to be better (Illinois-Chicago) In that same time period, the Gophers scheduled six.

From 260 to the bottom of the RPI represents basically the bottom quarter of Division I teams.

While it is easy to say what's the difference between a team at 248 in the RPI and one that is at 312, it does make a difference when you're looking at a resume at the end of the year. Not one team lower than 260 finished with a winning record and most of them didn't even get to the 10-win mark. Basically those are the awful, awful teams.

I would suspect that both North Dakota and South Dakota will be total RPI sucks and that average RPI of teams the Badgers beat in the non-conference portion of the schedule will be down quite a bit.

FOT,

You can't get it through your head can you? We are talking about home schedules. We are talking about providing value for paying customers.

A year ago, the average RPI for Gophers home non-conference opponents was 212.63. There were zero top 100 teams on that home schedule, zero teams that earned at-large berths to the NCAA tournament, one team that finished in the top 150 in the RPI and one team with even a bit of regional interest.

Wisconsin a year ago: The eventual national champions, an in-state rival in Marquette that earned an at-large berth to the NCAA tournament, another in-state school in UW-Milwaukee and a team in Oakland that finished 52nd in the RPI and got an auto berth to the NCAA tournament.

Also, according to collegerpi.com, the Badgers had the 31st most difficult non-conference schedule while the Gophers rated 77th.

FOT,

You can't get it through your head can you? We are talking about home schedules. We are talking about providing value for paying customers.

Amen to that. FOT was defending our home NC schedule all season long while insisting that Stephen F Austin, Morgan State and St. Joseph's were "quality" opponents. These 3 mutts finished with RPIs of 153, 158, and 175, respectively. Quality opponents? ...I think not!

It helps that they were actually given a good opponent for the challenge. I can't let that go. That pisses me off so much that we got Virginia again.

Home schedule I'd give Tubby the edge over Bo this year.

Virginia, Siena, Wofford & Akron >

NC State & Green Bay.

Overall schedule I'd give the nod to Bo because of two difficult true road games (UNLV & Marquette) and an in-season tournament that at worst is equal to the field at the Puerto Rico Tip-Off.

FOT,

A year ago, the average RPI for Gophers home non-conference opponents was 212.63. There were zero top 100 teams on that home schedule, zero teams that earned at-large berths to the NCAA tournament, one team that finished in the top 150 in the RPI and one team with even a bit of regional interest.

Wisconsin a year ago: The eventual national champions, an in-state rival in Marquette that earned an at-large berth to the NCAA tournament, another in-state school in UW-Milwaukee and a team in Oakland that finished 52nd in the RPI and got an auto berth to the NCAA tournament.

Also, according to collegerpi.com, the Badgers had the 31st most difficult non-conference schedule while the Gophers rated 77th.

Click the link and view Gophers & Badgers 2010 HOME schedule (OOC). Comparable, similar, pick the simplest word you can understand.

Amen to that. FOT was defending our home NC schedule all season long while insisting that Stephen F Austin, Morgan State and St. Joseph's were "quality" opponents. These 3 mutts finished with RPIs of 153, 158, and 175, respectively. Quality opponents? ...I think not!

Yep, numb nut, the Gophers played several good OOC opponents at home and a few cupcakes.

Check the 2010 results for SFA and Morgan St.

Check the 2010 results for SFA and Morgan St.

Ok, and then what? They were okay teams, but neither were sub-RPI 150. And, THAT was the marquee portion of the home schedule that your defending? C'mon now.

Look, I'm as a big of a Tubby fan as the next guy, but for you tout those two games as "special" is just plain disingenuous. In FOUR YEARS worth of OCC scheduling Tubby has scheduled ZERO home games against BCS opponents by choice. That's really a terrible way to treat long time season holders. I guarantee you it isn't that hard to find ONE. Joe Esposito can talk all he wants about not being able to get a BCS team here, but the bottom line is they clearly don't want one here very bad. I promise you I could find him a BCS opponent in two days worth of phone calls. Simply put, if it might be a loss, they won't take it. They would say "why do we want Washington or Alabama or Oklahoma State or Seton Hall to come in here and beat us when we can get a win against Georgia State instead? All fans are asking for is ONE at this point. That is not too much to ask. It easily can be done.

FOT,

I love how as soon as anyone questions you, you immediately start calling names and questioning their mental capacity.

You are such a tough guy.

Badgers wont give NDSU another shot after we beat them, they are still bitter about that and turned NDSU down 3 years in a row now. ha ha. so they take 2 total patsies in und and usd. und was 313 out of 331 rpi. what pussies over in madtown.

at least tubby will put ndsu on the schedule this year.

Badgers wont give NDSU another shot after we beat them, they are still bitter about that and turned NDSU down 3 years in a row now. ha ha. so they take 2 total patsies in und and usd. und was 313 out of 331 rpi. what pussies over in madtown.

at least tubby will put ndsu on the schedule this year.

NDSU finished 11-18 and ranked 238 in RPI. Not exactly great basketball either....

everyone knew we'd have 1 down year after the Fab 4 & NCAA berth.

relax, we got MN AP player of the year, we'll be great this year.

great= ncaa berth.

marshall bjorkand mr minnesota
micheal tviedt summit player of year
Freddie Coleman St Paul Johnson
Eric Carlson Shakopee
Marcus Williams Hopkins

Mike Felt Redwood Falls
Trayvon Wright Waterloo Iowa.

Top Bottom