Wisconsin busy for 2011 this weekend

Reaction score
Frank Kaminsky, center, out of Illinois commits... Traevon Jackson, wing out of Ohio commits (Jimmy Jackson's kid)... and they offered Jarrod Uthoff as expected yesterday... nothing surprising about any of these - Becky has been on them all for awhile.

Kaminsky looks like he fits the mold. Physically may add an inch or two and wind up at 7'. Might turn out to be a nice pickup for Wisconsin, but we'll see in a few years.

Jackson.. gotta love the bloodlines, but can say the same thing about Jeffrey Jordan.

To our Wisconsin friends on this board: Any thoughts on the commits? Any thoughts on Nebraska being known as the 'Big Red'?

Definitely a big day for the UW program. As mentioned, commitments from Kaminsky and Jackson were not all that surprising, but nice to see nonetheless.

I have only seen limited highlights of Kaminsky, but the commentary I have read on the Illinois premium boards has been rather favorable. UW was in good position with both Kaminksy and fellow 2011 big Marshall Plumlee, but I have preferred Kaminsky based on what I have seen on video and read of late. I would assume this takes UW out of the Plumlee recruitment, but you never know given Bo's tendency to load up on bigs. I also really like that Kaminsky is part of a good AAU program (Illinois Wolves), which will give him legitimate coaching and help him improve. Sounds like he has make some significant strides this spring.

I am not as high on Jackson, but you can't argue with his genes and the UW staff has pursued him hard for a while now. I guess you have to trust the coaches, as it appears they got a guy they really like. Bo will finally have some depth at guard, as Jackson and their other 2011 commit (PG George Marhall) will give the Badgers six guards for the 2011-12 season. I understand the analogy to Jordan, but I don't remember Jeffrey having near the offers Traevon did. Despite your dislike for the UW program, Bo has had a very solid (at least) program during his time in Madison. That offer, plus the Arizona St. one, is much better than anything Jordan had. Jackson is not overly athletic or explosive, but he appears to be a winner who knows how to play. I would expect him to be a solid player for the Badgers, who develops into a team leader by the time he is done.

I actually like Uthoff better than both Kaminsky and Jackson. He already has some good offers (e.g. Illinois, Butler), so I am glad UW offered before it was too late. UW's roster down the road now has enough guards and centers, but they need another forward in 2011. Uthoff's versatility would seem to make him a good fit, so I am really hoping the UW staff is able to add him to the class. I also like Ross Travis and hope he is a guy they consider if Uthoff decides to go elsewhere.

I watched several videos of Traevon Jackson online a while ago just to see what Jim Jackson's kid looked like. I was not especially impressed. He's not particularly quick or explosive looking. He apparently isn't a point guard and is not regarded as a great shooter. Obviously there is much more to a player than what shows up in a highlight video, but I did not immediately see what makes him a high-major player. The sons of NBA legends are never underexposed, and still his best offers were Wisconsin and Arizona State.

I watched several videos of Traevon Jackson online a while ago just to see what Jim Jackson's kid looked like. I was not especially impressed. He's not particularly quick or explosive looking. He apparently isn't a point guard and is not regarded as a great shooter. Obviously there is much more to a player than what shows up in a highlight video, but I did not immediately see what makes him a high-major player. The sons of NBA legends are never underexposed, and still his best offers were Wisconsin and Arizona State.

I very much agree, my questions about Jackson all along have been the same. How does the son of a Big 10 legend, living in Ohio, playing for a high profile AAU squad (All Ohio), only have two high major offers? I think he does play a good deal of PG for his HS team, which was 20-0 heading into the state playoffs this past season, and he actually switched AAU teams so that he could be the primary PG. That said, with UW already having George Marshall in the 2011 class, not to mention Josh Gasser in 2010, I am assuming that Jackson will spend most of his Badger days off the ball. He does not appear to be a great athlete, nor does he possess great size for his position. However, he is smart, works hard, knows how to play, and has very good intangibles. Bo and the UW staff identified him pretty early and pursued him hard, so they obviously thought very highly of him. I will trust their evaluation skills and hope he turns into a productive Big 10 player. For those interested, the linked article below discusses both Jackson and Kaminsky.

http://host.madison.com/sports/coll...cle_7021932c-7661-11df-aa7a-001cc4c03286.html

UWOle -

Does the Marshall, Brust and Gasser commits, along with Jackson now, and the other guards you metioned take you out of the Marcus Paige sweepstakes? He's the kid from Jason Bohannon's high school who has a sister at Wisconsin. I believe Paige will be a Top 50-100 type of kid in the Class of 2012. Minnesota is heavily involved and I thought Wisconsin was/is, but maybe not now?

Who's the worse recruiter, Tubby or Bo ? Neither gets anyone the rest of the Big Ten wants. Yes I know Bo got an Iowa dropout so I guess that makes Tubby the worst.

Definitely a big day for the UW program. As mentioned, commitments from Kaminsky and Jackson were not all that surprising, but nice to see nonetheless.

I have only seen limited highlights of Kaminsky, but the commentary I have read on the Illinois premium boards has been rather favorable. UW was in good position with both Kaminksy and fellow 2011 big Marshall Plumlee, but I have preferred Kaminsky based on what I have seen on video and read of late. I would assume this takes UW out of the Plumlee recruitment, but you never know given Bo's tendency to load up on bigs. I also really like that Kaminsky is part of a good AAU program (Illinois Wolves), which will give him legitimate coaching and help him improve. Sounds like he has make some significant strides this spring.

I am not as high on Jackson, but you can't argue with his genes and the UW staff has pursued him hard for a while now. I guess you have to trust the coaches, as it appears they got a guy they really like. Bo will finally have some depth at guard, as Jackson and their other 2011 commit (PG George Marhall) will give the Badgers six guards for the 2011-12 season. I understand the analogy to Jordan, but I don't remember Jeffrey having near the offers Traevon did. Despite your dislike for the UW program, Bo has had a very solid (at least) program during his time in Madison. That offer, plus the Arizona St. one, is much better than anything Jordan had. Jackson is not overly athletic or explosive, but he appears to be a winner who knows how to play. I would expect him to be a solid player for the Badgers, who develops into a team leader by the time he is done.

I actually like Uthoff better than both Kaminsky and Jackson. He already has some good offers (e.g. Illinois, Butler), so I am glad UW offered before it was too late. UW's roster down the road now has enough guards and centers, but they need another forward in 2011. Uthoff's versatility would seem to make him a good fit, so I am really hoping the UW staff is able to add him to the class. I also like Ross Travis and hope he is a guy they consider if Uthoff decides to go elsewhere.

I agree with your evaluations of the players Wisky signed. Typical in many ways of the players we have signed. Bo will instill his leadership, and they will be good players. I do woory a bit about not getting any bog time players, but you never know who might step up.

As far as Nebraska being "Big Red" in the OP - I have much respect for the Huskers FB program, I think it is a slight notch above Wiskys when taking history into account, but we'll battle for in on the field. In basketball its not even close, Nebraska is a non factor.

Does the Marshall, Brust and Gasser commits, along with Jackson now, and the other guards you metioned take you out of the Marcus Paige sweepstakes? He's the kid from Jason Bohannon's high school who has a sister at Wisconsin. I believe Paige will be a Top 50-100 type of kid in the Class of 2012. Minnesota is heavily involved and I thought Wisconsin was/is, but maybe not now?

The Paige recruitment is one I have never been able to figure out from a UW perspective. UW has known about Paige since he was an 8th grader, and rumors on multiple Iowa/Iowa St. boards are that UW has been the leader for some time. Those were based on UW being involved early and their relationship with the Linn Mar (HS of Bohannon and Paige) and Martin Brothers (AAU squad of Bohannon and Paige) people, and enhanced by the decision of Marcus' sister to join the UW women's program. Despite all of that, I do not believe UW has offered Paige when similar programs like Illinois and Minnesota have. As UW now has a PG and SG in both the 2010 and 2011 classes, I would guess you are correct in that UW will no longer be a major player in Paige's recruitment. They have two guys in the 2011 class who can play PG, one of whom will be exclusively a PG. UW still has one spot open in 2011, which if filled, will only leave two scholarships available for 2012. One of those spots will undoubtedly be held until JP Tokoto makes a decision, and I have hard time seeing UW take a PG in 2012 given their 2011 class and the fact that there appears to be multiple in-state PG prospects in 2013.

I really like Paige a lot and would love to see him as a Badger. That said, I can certainly understand UW's hestiancy to offer, similar to Paul Jesperson. I will guess that both Marcus and Paul turn in solid (at least) college players, I just hope neither stings UW too much.

Who's the worse recruiter, Tubby or Bo ? Neither gets anyone the rest of the Big Ten wants. Yes I know Bo got an Iowa dropout so I guess that makes Tubby the worst.

I'd say Father Vandelay is the worst recruiter. All he landed was you, and your only spawn is Art.

http://ilprepbullseye.com/page19.html IL Prep Bullseye likes him.

The Paige recruitment is one I have never been able to figure out from a UW perspective. UW has known about Paige since he was an 8th grader, and rumors on multiple Iowa/Iowa St. boards are that UW has been the leader for some time. Those were based on UW being involved early and their relationship with the Linn Mar (HS of Bohannon and Paige) and Martin Brothers (AAU squad of Bohannon and Paige) people, and enhanced by the decision of Marcus' sister to join the UW women's program. Despite all of that, I do not believe UW has offered Paige when similar programs like Illinois and Minnesota have. As UW now has a PG and SG in both the 2010 and 2011 classes, I would guess you are correct in that UW will no longer be a major player in Paige's recruitment. They have two guys in the 2011 class who can play PG, one of whom will be exclusively a PG. UW still has one spot open in 2011, which if filled, will only leave two scholarships available for 2012. One of those spots will undoubtedly be held until JP Tokoto makes a decision, and I have hard time seeing UW take a PG in 2012 given their 2011 class and the fact that there appears to be multiple in-state PG prospects in 2013.

I really like Paige a lot and would love to see him as a Badger. That said, I can certainly understand UW's hestiancy to offer, similar to Paul Jesperson. I will guess that both Marcus and Paul turn in solid (at least) college players, I just hope neither stings UW too much.

Much appreciated UWOle. If Wisconsin is not a factor with Paige, than I like Minnesota's chances a lot better. Paige is said to love Saul Smith (and Tubby).

Assuming UW really is out of Paige's recruitment, I would think it would help Minnesota quite a bit. However, from what I have read, it sounds as though Paige likes Kansas a great deal. He was at their elite camp recently, and would likely be a Jayhawk if they decided offer. If he continues to progress, that may very well happen. Illinois could be tough to beat too. They have amassed quite a bit of talent in the last few classes, and could be poised to make some really nice runs.

Assuming UW really is out of Paige's recruitment, I would think it would help Minnesota quite a bit. However, from what I have read, it sounds as though Paige likes Kansas a great deal. He was at their elite camp recently, and would likely be a Jayhawk if they decided offer. If he continues to progress, that may very well happen. Illinois could be tough to beat too. They have amassed quite a bit of talent in the last few classes, and could be poised to make some really nice runs.

Certainly a lot can happen before the Class of 2012 folks are making commitments, but I think Minnesota is sitting really good with Paige right now. They have playing time available at his position, they are close to home, his dad loves Tubby, he loves Saul.

Kansas will be tough to beat should they offer. But, what if they end up in the Mountain West?

Illinois is putting most of its eggs in the Chasson Randle basket (he's apparently an Illini lean). If the Illini land the 2011 PG, then I doubt Paige wants to go there and Illinois may choose to give the scholarship at a different position.

And, the wildcard is if Fran McCaffery or Fred Hoiberg can make the homestate teams a factor fast enough for Paige to think about staying home to play.

Of course, other factors (whatever they may be) could come into play.

Certainly a lot can happen before the Class of 2012 folks are making commitments, but I think Minnesota is sitting really good with Paige right now. They have playing time available at his position, they are close to home, his dad loves Tubby, he loves Saul.

Kansas will be tough to beat should they offer. But, what if they end up in the Mountain West?

Illinois is putting most of its eggs in the Chasson Randle basket (he's apparently an Illini lean). If the Illini land the 2011 PG, then I doubt Paige wants to go there and Illinois may choose to give the scholarship at a different position.

And, the wildcard is if Fran McCaffery or Fred Hoiberg can make the homestate teams a factor fast enough for Paige to think about staying home to play.

Of course, other factors (whatever they may be) could come into play.

Very interesting point. One I hadn't even thought about as far as future recruits because obviously Kansas hasn't moved yet, but might end up doing so.

UWOle, why are wisky fans so high on jarrod Urhoff? From what ive seen hes no jesperson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQFhc2y75ew here look at this highlight video if thats what you would call it? Sloppy ball handling, slow, passes that in B10 would get stolen easily, slow release and no air on his jumper, weak, plays like hes 6'0" in the post, not 6'8"

UWOle, why are wisky fans so high on jarrod Urhoff? From what ive seen hes no jesperson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQFhc2y75ew here look at this highlight video if thats what you would call it? Sloppy ball handling, slow, passes that in B10 would get stolen easily, slow release and no air on his jumper, weak, plays like hes 6'0" in the post, not 6'8"

I don't know how much you have seen of Jesperson and Uthoff, but I know I only have extensive viewings of Paul. If you were disappointed with that video of Jarrod, you would have hated some of the full games I have seen Paul play. There are times where Paul is an absolute non-factor when the opponent puts a physical defender on him. The biggest weakness both players have at this point is strength. Both will need to get stronger and add weight to be contributors at the next level. Uthoff is a good shooter, but Paul is a great shooter. Both handle and pass the ball well. I think the biggest difference is that Uthoff is a little taller and can likely play PF in the Big 10. I do not think that can be said about Paul, and I think that's why Uthoff is more attractive to UW at this point than Jesperson is.

Paul has a big week ahead of him with the Virginia elite camp and then the NBA top 100 camp. I am really hoping he does well for himself.

I don't know how much you have seen of Jesperson and Uthoff, but I know I only have extensive viewings of Paul. If you were disappointed with that video of Jarrod, you would have hated some of the full games I have seen Paul play. There are times where Paul is an absolute non-factor when the opponent puts a physical defender on him. The biggest weakness both players have at this point is strength. Both will need to get stronger and add weight to be contributors at the next level. Uthoff is a good shooter, but Paul is a great shooter. Both handle and pass the ball well. I think the biggest difference is that Uthoff is a little taller and can likely play PF in the Big 10. I do not think that can be said about Paul, and I think that's why Uthoff is more attractive to UW at this point than Jesperson is.

Paul has a big week ahead of him with the Virginia elite camp and then the NBA top 100 camp. I am really hoping he does well for himself.

sure, makes sense. My feeling is that jesperson has more potenial though with the stroke and ball handling. I feel if he gets to be 6'7" and gets in the 200-210 weight range by his freshman year he could be a beast.. starts lifting, getting faster, more explosive, sky is the limit for him. who knows he may not be done growing. With uthoff, i see a guy who is too small to play PF, but too big to play SF or SG, meaning, he is weak, and is not mobile from what i saw.

plus the way I see it, Uthoff dominates kids in Iowa while Paul is getting invited to elite camps? and wisconsin hasnt offered? I guess thats my point.

sure, makes sense. My feeling is that jesperson has more potenial though with the stroke and ball handling. I feel if he gets to be 6'7" and gets in the 200-210 weight range by his freshman year he could be a beast.. starts lifting, getting faster, more explosive, sky is the limit for him. who knows he may not be done growing. With uthoff, i see a guy who is too small to play PF, but too big to play SF or SG, meaning, he is weak, and is not mobile from what i saw.

plus the way I see it, Uthoff dominates kids in Iowa while Paul is getting invited to elite camps? and wisconsin hasnt offered? I guess thats my point.

I think you are assuming a lot of improvement in one of these guys and not in the other. I think Jarrod's ability to also be a PF given him an advantage, as Paul, likely exclusively at SF, will be matched up with someone more athletic than him more often than not. That could make things difficult for him. If Jarrod is a PF and has bigger, presumably slower guys matched up with him, he should be able to use his perimeter skills to create some mismatches. Paul may be able to do that when guarded by shorter guys, but I see Jarrod's versatility to play either forward spot (probably more PF than SF) as an advantage.

Wow...

As far as Nebraska being "Big Red" in the OP - I have much respect for the Huskers FB program, I think it is a slight notch above Wiskys when taking history into account, but we'll battle for in on the field. In basketball its not even close, Nebraska is a non factor.

Ummmm, I DO hope you're joking with this statement? Nebraska football is "SLIGHTLY" ahead of Wisconsin, the 4th or 5th best program in the Big Ten? And I love the qualifier, "when taking history into account". So that means if you don't take history into account... ? Perhaps without taking history into account, you think Wisky might even be on par with Big Red?

I gotta admit, I'm speechless...

Sam Dekker (2012) verbally commits to Wisconsin.. offered at camp, then pulls the (verbal) trigger a couple of days later.

Ummmm, I DO hope you're joking with this statement? Nebraska football is "SLIGHTLY" ahead of Wisconsin, the 4th or 5th best program in the Big Ten? And I love the qualifier, "when taking history into account". So that means if you don't take history into account... ? Perhaps without taking history into account, you think Wisky might even be on par with Big Red?

I gotta admit, I'm speechless...

I'm not sure why you're speechless. The points that gopherbadgerman was making were pretty accurate. Many of the projections that I'm reading seem to think the team is going to be very good: Link

Sam Dekker (2012) verbally commits to Wisconsin.. offered at camp, then pulls the (verbal) trigger a couple of days later.

UW also offered 2013 PG Bronson Koenig from LaCrosse Aquinas at the camp. He is one of the top two or three prospects in Wisconsin's 2013 class, with Milwaukee Vincent's Deonte Burton the top guy. An early verbal from Koenig would be very nice, as he and newly committed Dekker will likely impress a lot of coaches in July.

For those interested in Jesperson, he was offered by Virginia at their elite camp this week. There could be some more Big 10 offers coming soon as well.

I'm not sure why you're speechless. The points that gopherbadgerman was making were pretty accurate. Many of the projections that I'm reading seem to think the team is going to be very good: Link

I think the point is that he was comparing Nebraska's football program historically to Wisconsin's football program historically. He gave the slight edge to Nebraska. That is what made all objective readers speechless (some laughing so hard they could not talk).

Just a couple of historical numbers (not sure if 2009 season included):

National titles - Nebraska 5 Wisconsin 0

Bowl victories - Nebraska 23 Wisconsin 10

All time record - Nebraska 827-337-41 (.701 winning percentage)
Wisconsin 604-462-53 (.564 winning percentage)

Conference championships - Nebraska 46 Wisconsin 11 (both most recently in 1999)

I think the point is that he was comparing Nebraska's football program historically to Wisconsin's football program historically. He gave the slight edge to Nebraska. That is what made all objective readers speechless (some laughing so hard they could not talk).

Conference championships - Nebraska 46 Wisconsin 11 (both most recently in 1999)

OK, I hear your point on view with re: to history. Howevery, "Ogee" did make the following comment at the end of his rant: "Perhaps without taking history into account, you think Wisky might even be on par with Big Red?"

My response to his comment would be: "Absolutely,.... and then some."

Classic...

You're wasting your time, Web. This argument isn't going to make much of a dent against people who aren't old enough to remember when there was no internet.

Good grief, talk about selective analysis. If you really want to look at snapshots in time, you could easily argue that during several of the Mason years, the Gophers program was ahead of Nebraska's too. Thirty plus other teams could make that argument as well.

This isn't even a discussion, for crying out loud. I've never been a fan of dilusional Husker fan (I lived in Lincoln for two years to experience it myself) but Wisconsin (Wisconsin????) will never ever ever ever ever ever ever be in the same zip code of being as relevant as Nebraska Cornhusker football. Say it out loud if it helps; Nebraska being compared to the 4th or 5th best team in the Big Ten? Really?

Since I work in WI, I have caught of few of Jesperson's games. I believe UWOle is correct about PJ disappearing in some games. Also, some of the parents that I talked to stated that he has a slight attitude problem and doesn't always work very hard. Who knows if there is some sour grapes, but I just took it for what it is worth (very little).

Since I work in WI, I have caught of few of Jesperson's games. I believe UWOle is correct about PJ disappearing in some games. Also, some of the parents that I talked to stated that he has a slight attitude problem and doesn't always work very hard. Who knows if there is some sour grapes, but I just took it for what it is worth (very little).

This is absolutely not true. Paul is a good kid who has worked very hard to earn the offers that are coming his way. He deserves the success that he is having.

Top Bottom