Royce

SPCPrice21

Reaction score
Im sure everyone is sick of this name.. I am also, but has anyone heard anything recently?

Art must have slept in this morning...I haven't seen his 'cut and paste' response to Royce yet

Monday (June 14th) is the first day of summer classes, so maybe we'll hear something next week.

Here you go Homer, I'll write it in for Art so he doesn't have to:
Weird, because I'm pretty sure Royce White quit on his team already. Good riddance to Royce White, I don't want a quitter on the team, and neither should Tubby.
Thanks for your input Art, we all had no idea where you stand on this issue.

I think he should be given this offer: Take a full load of summer classes and if you are in good academic standing and keep your nose clean you're back on the squad with a short leash. Low risk, high reward.

I think he should be given this offer: Take a full load of summer classes and if you are in good academic standing and keep your nose clean you're back on the squad with a short leash. Low risk, high reward.

Agreed

I hope that happens

I think it's safe to finally say that all hope is lost and Royce will never wear a Gopher's uniform again.

With the scrutiny this kid is under, I think it would be nearly impossible for him to enroll in summer classes without someone catching wind of it. I hope that I'm wrong, but I think it's time we all move on.

With the scrutiny this kid is under, I think it would be nearly impossible for him to enroll in summer classes without someone catching wind of it. I hope that I'm wrong, but I think it's time we all move on.

Move on to what? Sewing? I think we are all obsessive fans or we wouldn't waste our times on these boards and I can't think of any player we could reasonably get that could help the club as much as Royce. So I welcome any news about Royce.

With the scrutiny this kid is under, I think it would be nearly impossible for him to enroll in summer classes without someone catching wind of it.

Why would someone catching wind of Royce enrolling in summer classes - in and of itself - make it impossible for him? I mean I could list 500 reasons why Royce probably won't be a Gopher this fall and the idea of someone catching wind of him taking summer classes wouldn't come close to cracking the list.

Why would someone catching wind of Royce enrolling in summer classes - in and of itself - make it impossible for him? I mean I could list 500 reasons why Royce probably won't be a Gopher this fall and the idea of someone catching wind of him taking summer classes wouldn't come close to cracking the list.

Well I hope one of your top reasons he will not be a Gopher this fall is because he will not be academically eligible. To be academically eligible he must take summer classes, which start tomorrow. In order to take summer classes, he needs to be enrolled. With all the media, fans, friends, etc. interested in every move this guy makes, don't you think we would've heard by now if he was enrolled or going to be enrolled. It's called transitive logic.

royce

So many posters want Tubby to recruit so called 5-star basketball players and yet one of the few that this program has ever recruited, Royce White, is being thrown under the bus by some of its fans. Understand this Minnesota will NOT recruit many 5-star players so, when they do lets make sure we keep them. No one is perfect and in this society, in particular, that is true. Royce does have his problems not the least of which is that he is young and confused. Whatever problems he does have are correctable with maturity. Better that he matures here rather than at another school. You have to have a stud to have a successful basketball team. You cannot be a high profile program with just 2 and 3-star players. I have coached a number of years to understand that.

Well I hope one of your top reasons he will not be a Gopher this fall is because he will not be academically eligible. To be academically eligible he must take summer classes, which start tomorrow. In order to take summer classes, he needs to be enrolled. With all the media, fans, friends, etc. interested in every move this guy makes, don't you think we would've heard by now if he was enrolled or going to be enrolled. It's called transitive logic.

I see what you meant. I totally misunderstood it. Of course, one of my top reasons would be academics. I thought you were talking about it in a future sense, like once word gets out then it will be impossible for him to handle it (which makes no sense). But, of course, you meant the fact that word hasn't gotten out leads one to believe he hasn't or isn't going to enroll. Makes sense and I agree.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but are you 100% sure about this? Royce has never played college basketball, so it's almost like he would be an incoming freshman with one semester of good grades already under his belt, so you could almost argue that he is ahead of the game. If he had played first semester and then dropped out after the season was over obviously he would be ineligible, but he has never played. I'm not insinuating that he would be eligible if he doesn't take summer classes, I'm just holding onto hope that it might be possible. (Just because it makes sense in someone's head that he shouldn't be eligible doesn't make them 100% sure, some evidence either way would be nice)

I'm not saying you are wrong, but are you 100% sure about this? Royce has never played college basketball, so it's almost like he would be an incoming freshman with one semester of good grades already under his belt, so you could almost argue that he is ahead of the game. If he had played first semester and then dropped out after the season was over obviously he would be ineligible, but he has never played. I'm not insinuating that he would be eligible if he doesn't take summer classes, I'm just holding onto hope that it might be possible. (Just because it makes sense in someone's head that he shouldn't be eligible doesn't make them 100% sure, some evidence either way would be nice)

I hope you're right, and to be honest I don't know for sure. Although, I am basing my statements on what other more knowledgeable posters have said about the situation.

That's an interesting point. I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about the situation in the paper.

Royce will have to go to summer school in order to make progress toward a degree and, as a result, be eligible.

While Royce didn't play in a game last season, he received a basketball scholarship that paid for his tuition/room and board last summer, last fall and during the winter/spring semester until he quit the team and withdrew from classes.

As far as eligibility goes, last year was a redshirt year for Royce. He was on the roster and did not participate in any contests.

We will know more in the next three or four weeks about this. If he doesn't start summer school he would not be eligible until the spring semester at the earliest. Even if he did take summer school classes he might not be eligible in the fall anyway. While it is not critical that he start summer school it is important.

I think his participation in the Pulley Summer league is as important as summer school. This would show a commitment to the sport.

It is hard to believe anything other than that he is done with the Gophers at this point.

So many posters want Tubby to recruit so called 5-star basketball players and yet one of the few that this program has ever recruited, Royce White, is being thrown under the bus by some of its fans. Understand this Minnesota will NOT recruit many 5-star players so, when they do lets make sure we keep them. No one is perfect and in this society, in particular, that is true. Royce does have his problems not the least of which is that he is young and confused. Whatever problems he does have are correctable with maturity. Better that he matures here rather than at another school. You have to have a stud to have a successful basketball team. You cannot be a high profile program with just 2 and 3-star players. I have coached a number of years to understand that.

We want 5 star recruits that stay out of trouble. Is that too much to ask? The kid would have been able to buy anything he wanted to in a couple years yet steals some stuff from the MOA. Give me a break. I'd take a 2 or 3 star player who doesn't make the U of M look bad over a 5 star player who does this sort of thing any day of the week. Maybe that's just me though...

So many posters want Tubby to recruit so called 5-star basketball players and yet one of the few that this program has ever recruited, Royce White, is being thrown under the bus by some of its fans. Understand this Minnesota will NOT recruit many 5-star players so, when they do lets make sure we keep them. QUOTE]

Oh I think Minnesota recruits lots of 5 star players. It's that unless they are local Minnesota kids, they don't seem to be that interested in us. 5 star players don't usually have this kind of baggage. Usually its just a bigger ego, and wether they will listen to a coach, versus most of the lower star players.

I'd love to have Royce as a basketball fan. But I think its a dream to think he will: go to class, get eligible, stay eligible, not commit more crime/trouble, listen to Tubby, and help this team. He has been given a ton of chances. It's time to move on. There is a point where you bend standards for a "star" and it takes away the credibility of a coach and program more than the odds that player will help the university...I think we are there.

Top Bottom