Big guys weren't very aggressive against PSU

Ogee Ogilthorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Three times in the first 4 minutes yesterday, RSIII got the ball essentially down on the low block with his back to the 6'-5 Cornley and didn't make a move to the basket. I know Cornley's a strong player but RSIII needs to go up with that and at least maybe draw a foul.

Ten minutes later, on consecutive possessions, RSIII got the ball in the high post against Cornley and made a nice turnaround, and on the next possession he picked up an offensive rebound and put it right back up from 10 feet and got fouled, made both. Iverson made one nice offensive move yesterday that I can remember, missing a short layup.

They may not have ultra polished offensive games but if they don't do enough with the basketball, the Gophers become a lot easier to defend while these two are on the floor.

On a side note, Joseph is so quick up the floor with the ball. Bostick's two 3-pointers are a direct result of Joseph pushing the ball up the floor and finding Bostick before the defense found him.

Is there any chance Joseph overtakes Nolen sometime next season? I think he's quicker, actually has a stronger offensive game, might just depend on how much playing time he sees the rest of the way.

The earlier post comparing PSU's guards to the Gophers' is just not comparing apples to apples, at least not comparing Nolen to Battle. Currently, Battle is averaging around TEN minutes more per game than Battle. Yesterday, Battle played 38 minutes to Nolen's 25. Would I take Battle over Nolen? Tough call actually, but I wouldn't even THINK about taking Battle over Nolen/Joseph, which is really the comparison you should probably be making.

By the way, was there any prettier sequence yesterday than at the 12 minute mark of the second half; right after Battle made a 3-pointer to cut the lead to 10, Joseph finds RSIII for the two-handed jam, PSU makes a turnover against the press, Joseph picks up the loose ball and finds an open Carter who strokes the nothing-but-nylon 3-pointer to pump the lead back to 15. Beautiful!!!

I made that same comment too. I think i screamed at my tv when Iverson got a rebound and instead of going up for what seemed to be an easy bucket he kinda whimped out and passed it off to someone else.

They'll need to get better on offense, especially sampson

Currently, Battle is averaging around TEN minutes more per game than Battle. Yesterday, Battle played 38 minutes to Nolen's 25. Would I take Battle over Nolen? QUOTE]

Now THAT'S a pretty amazing stat! :)

If I was looking for a scorer, I'd take Battle. If I were looking for everything I want in a point guard, I'd take Nolen in a flash.

ANd no, I don't think Joseph will overtake Nolen. I think Al brings a tremendous amount to the game.

Top Bottom