Past Minnesota Mr. Basketball Winners

BarnBoy

Reaction score
Just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. I have been reading this board for months, and finally decided to register.

Minnesota basketball is back! Am I a fair weather fan? Probably. But who cares?! They are fun to watch again! What a game Sunday.

My fondest Gophers B-Ball memory was when I was an undergrad for the 96-97 run. Watching Sam, Bobby, and the boys take on Iowa for a nationally televised night game (I think). Sam comes down the lane and dunks over about 10 Iowa players. Wow. It was electric.

Question for the gurus:
Does anyone have a list (or can find a list) of the past Mr. Basketball Minnesota Winners? I can't find anything online.

Anyway, I'll probably just be a wall flower, but wanted to say hi and thank everyone for posting. Go Gophers! Here's to a win in Madison!

Thanks

Welcome to the board (or at least, posting on the board).

I haven't been able to find a list online either.

If nobody has a link, let's start a list here. I'm afraid my memory doesn't serve me well prior to Rickert nor can I recall who was between Rickert and Humphries. Here's the list off the top of my head (and verified where possible):

2008: Jordan Taylor
2007: Blake Hoffarber
2006: Isaiah Dahlman
2005: Travis Busch
2004: Spencer Tollackson
2003: Kris Humphries
2002: ????
2001: Rick Rickert

As I'm thinking back this is how I remember it. I'm putting ??? on the ones that I am not sure of.

2000: Nick Horvath (Boone #2)
1999: Shane Schilling (Troy Bell #2)
1998: Darius Lane (Joel Pryzbilla #2)
1997: Khalid El-Amin
1996: Mitch Ohnstad
1995: Nate Holmstadt (edited)
1994: Sam Jacobson
1993: John Thomas ???
1992: Arvesta Kelly, Jr. ???

1991: Joel McDonald, Chisholm

Thanks!

Appreciate the responses!

Go Gophers!

Here's another list that usualy draws comments:

MINNESOTA GOPHERS
SELECTED IN THE FIRST ROUND
OF THE NBA DRAFT (since 1965)

1966 Lou Hudson, G
1973 Jim Brewer, F-C
1973 Ron Behagen, F
1975 Mark Olberding, F
1977 Ray Williams, G
1978 Mychal Thompson, C
1980 Kevin McHale, F-C
1982 Trent Tucker, G
1983 Randy Breuer, C
1990 Willie Burton, G
1997 John Thomas, F
1997 Bobby Jackson, G
1998 Sam Jacobson, F
1999 Quincy Lewis, F
2000 Joel Pryzbilla, C
2004 Kris Humphries, F

NOTABLE SECOND ROUNDERS

1994 Voshon Lenard, G
2003 Rick Rickert, F

ALL-TIME GOPHERS-IN-THE-NBA TEAM (personal opinion)

G..........Lou Hudson
G..........Ray Williams
C..........Mychal Thompson
F..........Kevin McHale
F..........Jim Brewer

Great list. I didn't know Voshon dropped to the 2nd round. Lots of great names.

Which have won NBA championships?

McHale (Celtics)
Tucker (Bulls)

Any others?

Hudson 13 seasons, no ring
Brewer 9 seasons, no ring (uncle of Doc Rivers; does that count?)
Behagen 7 seasons, no ring (Wikipedia gives him a raw deal on the brawl report)
Olberding 12 seasons, no ring
Williams 10 seaons, no ring

I'm pretty certain that Ray Williams got a ring with the Celtics. If memory serves me correctly he joined the Celtics late in the season during one of their championship years. At the very least he played in a finals and "restrained" an enraged Kurt Rambis into the third row. :)

And with a bit of further research it appears I was wrong. Ray was on the Celtics for the 85 Finals which the Lakers won.

trivia question

The list below is missing one former Gopher who was a first rounder. Name him.

MINNESOTA GOPHERS

1966 Lou Hudson, G
1973 Jim Brewer, F-C
1973 Ron Behagen, F
1975 Mark Olberding, F
1977 Ray Williams, G
1978 Mychal Thompson, C
1980 Kevin McHale, F-C
1982 Trent Tucker, G
1983 Randy Breuer, C
1990 Willie Burton, G
1997 John Thomas, F
1997 Bobby Jackson, G
1998 Sam Jacobson, F
1999 Quincy Lewis, F
2000 Joel Pryzbilla, C
2004 Kris Humphries, F

The list below is missing one former Gopher who was a first rounder. Name him.

MINNESOTA GOPHERS

1966 Lou Hudson, G
1973 Jim Brewer, F-C
1973 Ron Behagen, F
1975 Mark Olberding, F
1977 Ray Williams, G
1978 Mychal Thompson, C
1980 Kevin McHale, F-C
1982 Trent Tucker, G
1983 Randy Breuer, C
1990 Willie Burton, G
1997 John Thomas, F
1997 Bobby Jackson, G
1998 Sam Jacobson, F
1999 Quincy Lewis, F
2000 Joel Pryzbilla, C
2004 Kris Humphries, F

Guessing? Archie Clark, maybe.

Yup, anyone remember why rautins transferred? He seems to have had a pretty good freshman year.

Yup, anyone remember why rautins transferred? He seems to have had a pretty good freshman year.

My recollection is playing time/wanting to be "the man", but I could easily have him mixed up with someone else.

1993: Skipp Schaefbauer
Played ball at Eastern Carolina and he was also a great hs tennis player.

Hudson 13 seasons, no ring
Brewer 9 seasons, no ring (uncle of Doc Rivers; does that count?)
Behagen 7 seasons, no ring (Wikipedia gives him a raw deal on the brawl report)
Olberding 12 seasons, no ring
Williams 10 seaons, no ring

Wikipedia now points out that Witte elbowed Nix on the way to the locker room and then ran to the OSU locker room for protection. Not that the actions of the Gophers are justified, but painting Witte as an innocent party is not accurate either.

Steve Schlotthauer

I believe Steve Schlotthauer from Mounds View won it in the mid-80's and went to college at Augustana

LEO RAUTINS

1st, the (obligatory) Wikipedia entry link about Leo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Rautins

My recollections, having "sort of" been there....

I was a freshman the year Leo and the other "lauded members of our very own fab five" were freshmen. The other members of the class were the late Mark Hall, Gary Homes, Daryl Mitchell, and Trent Tucker. Kevin Stallings was recruited with that group but went to junior college somewhere in Illinois, and then to Purdue instead. The publications at the time (I do remember buying Street and Smith) called it the #1 recruting class in America.

I claim no particular first-hand knowledge. I knew Mark Hall and Trent to speak to in the dorm hallways, nothing more. And the players, esp. Leo, have been pretty reticent about things, which is their right. Jim Dutcher also has been pretty reserved about the 1978-1979 year. Suffice to say, each of the players had to work on their egos a little.

Remember that Kevin McHale was in his junior year the year that Leo and the other guys were freshmen. There was a lot of scoring talent on that team, and only one basketball. I think Trent and Daryl at various times have mentioned that it took them all "awhile" to learn to play as a group. Watching them in the winter of 1979, that was pretty obvious. I do know that "opinions varied" on who should be getting the bulk of the shots. Obviously they eventually worked it out, but not before Leo transferred.

IIRC, Leo also spent part of the year fighting off a nagging injury (one of thsoe ambiguous ones where you can play but your mobility is impaired?), and homesickness. Things worked out pretty well for him at Syracuse!

Top Bottom