Will Izzo Stay Or Will He Go? Lots Of $$$ If Offered

If Lebron heads elsewhere, that job's on par with the T-Wolves gig; meanwhile, Izzo's headed towards legendary status in the college game. For the sake of college bb, I hope Izzo remains in East Lansing.

Izzo may leave for the NBA some day, but it won't be right now. He's not going to leave behind a potential national championship squad for a job that may or may not have Lebron James.

If Lebron heads elsewhere, that job's on par with the T-Wolves gig; meanwhile, Izzo's headed towards legendary status in the college game. For the sake of college bb, I hope Izzo remains in East Lansing.

Agreed. Without LeBron it's a terrible job. By now he may be bored in his current job but I can't imagine he would jump without a LeBron extension. If it's a money issue I'm sure that MSU could come up with another mil or two a year to keep him.

I would think MSU would give him a blank check to stay. His value to the school is probably a lot more than he's getting paid right now, whatever that is, so they'd be fools to let him leave if money was an issue.

Agreed. Without LeBron it's a terrible job. By now he may be bored in his current job but I can't imagine he would jump without a LeBron extension. If it's a money issue I'm sure that MSU could come up with another mil or two a year to keep him.

Sounds like it would have to be bundled with a LaBron decision. If Labron agreed to it I wonder if Izzo would go. It doesn't sound like anything will be decided in Cleveland without Labron's agreement.

The thing about the pro game is that the star players have all the power. The coaches take a back seat to what the players want. Would Izzo be okay working in that environment.

What will MSU do if Izzo does go? Promote an assistant for one season? Or go through a full coaching search at this late stage? If the latter, what are the odds the subsequent dominos involve Tubby Smith rumors?

I would think MSU would give him a blank check to stay. His value to the school is probably a lot more than he's getting paid right now, whatever that is, so they'd be fools to let him leave if money was an issue.

The Cavs are offering him $30 million over 5 years. Even Cal only makes $4 million I believe. Can MSU really pay Izzo $6 million/year? I doubt it. The only schools that could even think of it are the football factories, Florida, Texas, and OSU.

I thought I heard they were going to bust the checkbook to Phil for around 10-12 mill for a year, I think he stays if its anything under 8 mill a year, which is still a giant raise.

Izzo is a thoughtful man. I don't think the number of millions (above a certain level) is what will motivate him either way.

It annoys me some that this offer comes while the Cavs franchise is in such disarray, no general manager, and potentially no anchor player. I would hate to think that his friend and Cavs owner would use Izzo as a lure to get Lebron to stay with the Cavs, essentially banking on coach's great reputation for working with his players, but it is a possibility.

Izzo should deliberate until at least after July 1 when the free agency begins. Hopefully then he will know what Lebron's intentions are and what lies ahead for the franchise. Unfortunately, there will be some anxious people at MSU waiting word on what Izzo ultimately plans to do.

It would be great for Minnesota if Izzo leaves, so I hope he does. I am surprised that Cavs owner Dan Gilbert would target the head coach of what I believe is his alma mater. I would think he'd want to keep MSU strong and would instead look to another college coach who he admired if he were to go the college route.

I bet he stays. He is a god in East Lansing, and could be out in two years if LJ does not stay in Cleveland.

From today's Lansing State Journal

I tend to listen to what the local paper's top beat writers are writing about the situation. I still don't think Izzo's leaving. Maybe later, but not this year with a championship-caliber team in the offing.

Will be a sad day in MSU history if he bolts. Wouldn't want to be the guy following Izzo. Can't see any way the next coach could duplicate or continue what Izzo has going.

http://www.greenandwhite.com/article/20100610/GW0201/6100344&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

To someone with nothing in the bank. Izzo has gotten his offer, now the focus goes to the "bigger" issues.

I said earlier I hope he stays, but Brew Recruit is right. Money Talks. That is A LOT of money he's being offered. That said, I hope he surprises me and stays.

I tend to listen to what the local paper's top beat writers are writing about the situation. I still don't think Izzo's leaving. Maybe later, but not this year with a championship-caliber team in the offing.

Will be a sad day in MSU history if he bolts. Wouldn't want to be the guy following Izzo. Can't see any way the next coach could duplicate or continue what Izzo has going.

http://www.greenandwhite.com/article/20100610/GW0201/6100344&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

This is exactly why I want Izzo to take the job. I don't think MSU stays a power without Izzo. If that is the case it opens the door for Minnesota. I wouldn't feel bad for MSU at all, they've had a great run.

The MSU AD (Hollis) and Izzo are really close friends. They roomed together as grad students at MSU, I believe. I would think Hollis will be frank with Izzo. Izzo needs to make a decision. If I were Hollis and Izzo has been offered the Cavs job, I'd tell Izzo you have the weekend to make your decision & I need your answer by Monday morning. It certainly will be damaging to the MSU if program if Hollis and/or Izzo let this drag out. At some point you have to sh*t or get off the pot. Izzo's gonna' have to make his decision before Lebron makes his.

Not to mention, MSU's summer basketball camps start Monday.

First guy I'd go after if I were Hollis. ... Mark Turgeon (Texas A&M). He's not family, but he's a tough nut like Izzo and appears to be a darn good coach and recruiter. He's been successful as a player (Kansas) and a head coach (Wichita State & A&M).

If they decide to stay within the family, Hollis has a tough call. There's Mark Montgomery, Tom Crean, Brian Gregory or maybe even Scott Skiles? Crean's probably a no because he's already in-conference, plus in some ways I think he's the anti-Izzo (phony). Izzo's greatest strength may be that he's an Everyman in the way he deals with people. If he leaves, that will be difficult to replace.

They had a list in the Detroit paper of college head coaches that went to the pros. Pitino, Calipari, Tarkanian, Vitale, Floyd, Carlesimo, etc. I'm sure I'm missing some. Success seems to be difficult. (It's not your league, it's the players) He HAS to be getting assurances from Gilbert that LeBron is locked up, to continue talking. http://www.freep.com/article/20100610/SPORTS07/100610095/1319 Nothing new in this article other than him saying it won't be forever.

I think it'd be a real shame if Izzo left. Sure it might help destabalize Mich st., and therefore could be good for the Gophers, but I just have too much respect for Izzo to see him go. We need more Izzo's (and Tubby's!) in the college game, not less.

Excellent point. And we need less of the Caliparis and Floyds, who do wonderful impressions of Sergeant Schultz ("I know nothing.")

I do love me some Izzo. He is one of my favorite coaches.

I simply want Izzo to do what he wants to do. If he wants a new challenge, if he wants to see how his abilities stack up in the NBA, if wants the security, if he thinks the NBA is a better lifestyle, then I hope he goes.

In my own career, I have seen people be encouraged to stay in jobs that they are really good at even though they want a new challenge because bosses say they aren't replaceable or the like. If someone wants a new challenge, I encourage it.

I do love me some Izzo. He is one of my favorite coaches.

I simply want Izzo to do what he wants to do. If he wants a new challenge, if he wants to see how his abilities stack up in the NBA, if wants the security, if he thinks the NBA is a better lifestyle, then I hope he goes.

In my own career, I have seen people be encouraged to stay in jobs that they are really good at even though they want a new challenge because bosses say they aren't replaceable or the like. If someone wants a new challenge, I encourage it.

Also anonymous, the age factor. He's 55 (I thought he was younger) and if he's going to do it.....well I'm thinking now is the time. Again, from my selfish spot, I hope he stays. I like what you say about a challenge. He's been to the mountain top in the college game. What people go through here with Tubby must pale in comparison to what they are going through with Izzo in East Lansing.

Top Bottom