Devoe Joseph

WadeHokenson

Reaction score
With Joseph's stellar play as a true freshman at the PG spot this year, does it mean that his future in the program will likely be at the PG instead of shifting over to the SG? I know this year he is playing there out of necessity, but outside of a few rookie mistakes, i.e pushing it when it isn't the right time, forcing a few passes here and there, he has been a solid PG for the Gophers and helped out when Nolen has been in foul trouble or has needed breathers. If Joseph projects as being a solid PG into the future, does it mean Cobbs would likely redshirt next season so he doesn't need to spend two seasons as the 3rd team PG?

While I am all for the idea of Cobbs redshirting next year, I thought Tubby rarely, if ever redshirts players? If Devoe and Al are healthy I think it will be better for Cobbs and the gophers future for him to redshirt.

While we are on this topic does anyone think there is a chance Rodney will redshirt?

Everything I've read points to Rodney not wanting to redshirt. He has said a few times that he wanted to go to a place where he could play right away, but who knows. I think it'd be smart to redshirt Cobbs.

Rodney will not redshirt. This kid against the press and on the defensive side will fast become a Tubby fav.

100% Cobbs will be redshirting

Tubby doesn't redshirt folks. I followed him in Kentucky for 10 years. He never redshirted a single player, unless it was for medical reasons. He is not a coach that redshirts to give players time, etc. Count on Cobb being a part of the rotation in November.

This is not football. Its extrememly rare for a player to redshirt. Monson did it a few times cuz those guys were major projects but Cobbs will not redshirt unless there is some reason we don't know about. Next year Joseph will likely still be the main backup at PG and then 2 years from now I see him playing way more 2 guard with Cobbs as the backup PG. Still It is very very very rare for hoopers to take a redshirt unless they're injured

Tubby doesn't redshirt folks. I followed him in Kentucky for 10 years. He never redshirted a single player, unless it was for medical reasons. He is not a coach that redshirts to give players time, etc. Count on Cobb being a part of the rotation in November.

True but he did offer to redshirt a couple of his UK players, notably Jared Carter (whose family declined).

What a different world this is. . . .we are debating the problem of too much talent for a position.

Let's not forget Bryant Allen will be added to the mix as well next season. I know the football/basketball crossover doesn't have a high rate of success, but it's certainly a possibility. We will have depth, that's for sure.

Gopher Teeth - its a new world, isn't it?? Used to be I'd wonder how we were going to manage to have 3-5 true BT level players out on the floor at the same time, now were wondering where we'll fit them all in.

I'll try to adjust somehow.

Also keep in mind Joseph wants to play in the NBA and as Joseph himself said his future is at PG.

I think Joseph is a bit small for the 2 at either level, but he does a fine job at 1, especially for a rookie.

Gopher Teeth - its a new world, isn't it?? Used to be I'd wonder how we were going to manage to have 3-5 true BT level players out on the floor at the same time, now were wondering where we'll fit them all in.

I'll try to adjust somehow.

Isn't that the truth. We've come a long ways in a short time. Stop and smell the roses. --------------And enjoy the ride.

On the other hand, Joseph's more natural position right now is shooting guard. He moves very well without the basketball and can finish as well as anyone on the team. My money's on Devoe splitting time at the 1 and 2 when Cobbs comes in, with more time at the 2.

I have really liked the few times Joseph and Nolen were on the floor at the same time. I see that happening more often when Cobbs is here.

Top Bottom