Fullerton State coach still confident

Calgoph

Reaction score
Here's a quote from the Orange County Register.

"I'm not saying this arrogantly," Serrano said, "(but) I think there's two teams out there right now that are playing in the winners bracket that are probably looking over their shoulder, knowing that the Titans are still alive, the Titans are at home, and the Titans are gonna have a lot of momentum going into tomorrow."

He says this even though they are 1-1 and he only knows for sure who will pitch one of their two games today (Daniel Renken). Serrano is considering pitching a transfer that looked good last fall but was ineligible until just now. He hasn't pitched in a game this season.

Fullerton may have the better team and they may still win the region, but I don't think the Gophers need to be looking over their shoulders. If anything, momentum is clearly on the Gophers' side.

Hopefully, the Titan coach's optimism will prove to be as false as was the orchestra leader's on the unsinkable Titanic. (pun intended):)

A little off topic and forward looking, but if the gophers win their regional who would they play in the super regional?

When you're in the winner's bracket, it's not looking over your shoulder, it's looking forward. "Looking over your shoulder" means to keep an eye out for someone who could catch you from behind. Yes, we're paying attention to the teams in the loser's bracket, but that's looking FORWARD to who we have to play in the championship. They may have home field advantage, but they have to play a second game tonight just to stay alive for tomorrow.

The Gophers may be a #4 seed, and CSF is an excellent team, but I don't think the Gophers are shaking in their boots at the prospect of any opponent. This coach sounds like he's not quite taking this seriously enough, which is just fine with me.

Is it me or have both the CSU and New Mexico coach talked a little more confidante this series than usual coach-speak.

Friday: CSU coach says during in-game interview that despite trailing 3-0, their defense will continue to put zero's on the board and win the game.

Saturday: New Mexico coach says during in-game interview (leading 3-0 at the time) "we're going to win the game" and give their injured 1b the game ball. Then said their pitcher is doing well and "He'll get the W today."

Just surprised that we didn't hear more usual "coach-speak".

Is it me or have both the CSU and New Mexico coach talked a little more confidante this series than usual coach-speak.

Friday: CSU coach says during in-game interview that despite trailing 3-0, their defense will continue to put zero's on the board and win the game.

Saturday: New Mexico coach says during in-game interview (leading 3-0 at the time) "we're going to win the game" and give their injured 1b the game ball. Then said their pitcher is doing well and "He'll get the W today."

Just surprised that we didn't hear more usual "coach-speak".

It's baseball, compared to the other major sports these coaches are glorified cheerleaders. They really do not affect the in-game stuff as much as other sports. They basically set the rosters at the beginning and hope for the best, so I would hope they would have confidence in their players. That's not saying that it's easy to coach baseball however.

Top Bottom