Al news?

book

Reaction score
With all the news of people tranferring, quitting, not coming to the U, etc... I still think that getting Al N. back next year is the most crucial development. That would would give us back 5 starters and a pretty good team. What's the latest on his elegilibility?

Getting Nolen back for one year is not crucial. If he is starting at pg, this team is going nowhere anyways next year. He would help as a backup, but not as a starter. Sorry.

Getting Nolen back for one year is not crucial. If he is starting at pg, this team is going nowhere anyways next year. He would help as a backup, but not as a starter. Sorry.

Not crucial? Really?

I wouldn't say most crucial as the OP said, but come on. Sorry.

Who would play point guard when Devoe needs a sub? I've never seen Maverick play, but I don't know if I'm comfortable with the thought of putting him out there for significant minutes right away as a freshman. We need Nolen for depth and for defense. Getting him back is certainly important.

Al Nolen will perform great next season. He is the best on-ball defender on the team and perhaps the Big Ten. Excited about having him on the floor.

People forget he knows how to run a team too. He can push the tempo and score/create in transition when devoe can't really.

He let his team down and his coach down. Period.

He needs to earn his way back and earn his spot. He will not be starting right away, that is Devoe's job.

He let his team down and his coach down. Period.

He needs to earn his way back and earn his spot. He will not be starting right away, that is Devoe's job.

I can agree completely. Al needs to earn his way and provide leadership on this team. My prediction is that he will do just that and really bring it this year.

It really hurt us when he did't play last year, sure devoe was great but he isn't a true PG, more of a SG/combo gaurd whereas nolen is the perfect point, lock down D, distributes, fast as hell, and he can score too.

Al, is the worst offensive pg in the Big Ten. His defense, although terrific in non-conference, was so-so in conference. As far as running an offense? C'mon. The defense just slacks off him because he can't shoot. He will be a good backup next year, if he comes back.

Al can't score? he may not be blake hoffarber but he's more than capable of hitting a three. He can get to the rack to

Al can't score? he may not be blake hoffarber but he's more than capable of hitting a three. He can get to the rack to

Al Nolen can hit the three? What basketball games have you been watching the last few years? I'd be more comfortable putting Ralph behind the 3-point line than Al Nolen.

Also, until he can figure out how to make a layup I'll take Devoe.

This might be a suprise to some but Nolen's 3pt fg % last yr was .393. Unfortunately his 2 pt was .370. I think Nolen will earn his starting spot back. I am more concerned that he learns a post entry pass. He is good at getting easy looks for the bigs in transition but he cant seem to throw a jr high bounce pass to someone on the block. His defense, rebounding, and athleticsm cannot be questioned. Any team in the big ten would love to have him, and he'd play major minutes everywhere but Michigan st. Get a clue people. 3/1 assist to turnover ratio. I don't think Xaviers guards would've embarrassed us with Nolen playing.

Yes, with all the Gophers' off-court issues our talent level is so superior in relation to the rest of the Big Ten that we can afford to lose to a 2 and 1/2-year starter. By all means, we don't need Al next season. We're loaded at PG. (tongue firmly in cheek)

People really underestimate what Nolen brings to the team when he's actually playing.

For all of the aspects of the game he does well, his inability to finish in traffic is a glaring weakness. He needs to start converting some of these shots or it'll be 5 on 4 out there when the gophers have the ball.

Top Bottom