Marcus: Trevor Mbakwe trial to be delayed again

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this tweet:

"Trevor Mbakwe case will be delayed again, because both sides aren't ready for June 7 date."

Go Gophers!!

I'm certainly no legal mind, but honestly, after all these delays, how can both sides not be ready for this trial??? And as has been pointed out before, how in the world would Mbakwe be granted immediate eligibility by the NCAA to another university with this felony trial continuing to loom overhead?

Dad gummit Maturi, get your act together and demand that this trial start immediately. It's your job to make sure the justice system revolves around a University of Minnesota basketball recruit, especially one that isn't likely to be a scrub!;)

Truly amazing. If this is true, I'd say Trevor is all but gone. UGH!

Truly amazing. If this is true, I'd say Trevor is all but gone. UGH!

If the NCAA accepts his waver he is gone, but I don't see that happening. My guess is he returns here because it will be his ONLY chance to play next season.

One fine justice system there in Miami. How the heck is Trevor's side not ready?

Connecting the dots...

...this does not look good for Trevor.

We all recall the reports last fall and winter that Trevor had witnesses that would place him at another location at the time of the alleged assault. Game or other scheduling conflicts were all that was ostensibly holding things up.

Now, it's apparent that Trevor has no solid alibi--if he did, the case would have been dropped long ago, or at the very worst would have gone to trial as originally scheduled.

Trevor returned to Minnesota the day after the incident, claiming he had been threatened by relatives of the alleged victim. Would that not have been the sort of thing one would report to the police rather than prompt one to get out of town?

"How the heck is Trevor's side not ready?" Good question; it's been almost a year since the incident occurred. Could it be that Trevor's side can't clearly establish his innocence?

I will be surprised if Trevor Mbakwe ever plays college basketball.

I'm certainly no legal mind, but honestly, after all these delays, how can both sides not be ready for this trial??? And as has been pointed out before, how in the world would Mbakwe be granted immediate eligibility by the NCAA to another university with this felony trial continuing to loom overhead?

He won't be. I think the only way he will get a waive will be is if he is found innocent or the charges are dropped. Because if one of those two happen, he would have been punished (not being able to play) for no reason.

Is there any chance he is considering a plea to a lesser charge(non felony). Probably would not be allowed to play at MN but seeing if another school would still take him(with ncaa clearance to play and not sit out). Not saying, just asking.

Pioneer Press story:

Another delay is expected in the felony assault trial of University of Minnesota junior forward Trevor Mbakwe, according to Miami Dade state attorney's office spokeswoman Terry Chavez.

The trial date was scheduled for Monday, but Chavez said today the prosecution and defense both agreed on filing a motion for a continuance. The new trial date hasn't been set, but it could be next month.

"Last Thursday, the defense attorney and my office spoke, and we didn't believe we would be fully ready for trial on June 7," Chavez said. "It doesn't look like we're going June 7 after all, not because of the judge taking priority over another case, but because both sides aren't ready because of those outstanding depositions."

The 6-foot-8, 240-pound Mbakwe already has talked with Gophers coach Tubby Smith and athletics director Joel Maturi about being released from his scholarship if he wants to transfer to another school. Maturi said Mbakwe would be granted the release if it was a school that met with Smith's approval.

Mbakwe, a St. Paul native, won't be allowed to play next season for another program unless he receives a transfer waiver, which is reviewed on a case-by-case basis by the NCAA. The NCAA could decide on Mbakwe's situation even before his trial is concluded.

After visiting the University of Memphis today, Mbakwe could take a trip to Georgia Tech later this month, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. The Gophers are also still in option.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_15203097

Go Gophers!!

Another delay of justice is beyond absurd. Irrespective of where Trevor lands, he deserves his day in court...justice delayed is justice denied.

Another delay of justice is beyond absurd. Irrespective of where Trevor lands, he deserves his day in court...justice delayed is justice denied.

Mmm kay. You might want to pass that informative message along to his attorney, who asked for the delay.

...this does not look good for Trevor.

We all recall the reports last fall and winter that Trevor had witnesses that would place him at another location at the time of the alleged assault. Game or other scheduling conflicts were all that was ostensibly holding things up.

Now, it's apparent that Trevor has no solid alibi--if he did, the case would have been dropped long ago, or at the very worst would have gone to trial as originally scheduled.

Trevor returned to Minnesota the day after the incident, claiming he had been threatened by relatives of the alleged victim. Would that not have been the sort of thing one would report to the police rather than prompt one to get out of town?

"How the heck is Trevor's side not ready?" Good question; it's been almost a year since the incident occurred. Could it be that Trevor's side can't clearly establish his innocence?

I will be surprised if Trevor Mbakwe ever plays college basketball.

I think you're reading too much into this. It's not as if Trevor's attorney can just delay this as long as he wants, that would deny justice for the victim. Clearly both sides of this have issues. The Miami DA's office is notoriously inept, and it appears Trevor's attorney is no better. Neither of these things really speak to his guilt or innocence.

Dad gummit Maturi, get your act together and demand that this trial start immediately. It's your job to make sure the justice system revolves around a University of Minnesota basketball recruit, especially one that isn't likely to be a scrub!;)

Perhaps this is a quip at the expense of the Maturi haters. If not help me out. How exactly does Maturi go about getting an immediate trial date set?

Since I usually enjoy our comments here, forgive me if I'm missing something.

Couldn't Trevor's side demand a speedier trial? I suppose that he probably cherishes his freedom above all else so he would prefer the delay as long as possible. It certainly appears that his side appreciates the delays.

Perhaps this is a quip at the expense of the Maturi haters. If not help me out. How exactly does Maturi go about getting an immediate trial date set?

Since I usually enjoy our comments here, forgive me if I'm missing something.

You are missing SS's tongue firmly placed in cheek.

Exactly. I don't understand that post either. Trevor's attorney has delayed the trial numerous times, including this time (although it was both sides).

Mmm kay. You might want to pass that informative message along to his attorney, who asked for the delay.

Trevor from Myron's twitter: "I won't be committing [to another school] anytime soon." Maybe he wasn't given false promises from Memphis about the waiver like some of us expected. Then again, that may have nothing to do with the quote. Either way, I haven't given up hope (although maybe I should with the rate his case is going at).

What happened to the whole thing about a right to a speedy trial?

That's a very good question. Maybe you should ask the defense. Ya know, the ones who waived it? And repeatedly have asked for postponement. And stuff.

Well, no, the delay was due to both sides being ill equipped for the 7th as stated by the DA's spokesperson.

Another assumption bubble burst.

I don't think he assumed that the other side didn't ask for the delay. I'm pretty sure he read the statement that both sides wanted to push it back. His statement was correct. Trevor's side did ask for the delay. There was no reason to state that both did since his comment was in response to someone talking about Trevor's right to a speedy trial.

Well, no, the delay was due to both sides being ill equipped for the 7th as stated by the DA's spokesperson.

Another assumption bubble burst.

Just wondering if the trial delay, Mbakwe's wanting a transfer, and the fact that his JC coach is now at Memphis is a coincidence. Especially since the coach is supposed to be one of the defense witnesses. Probably nothing, but one has to wonder if the coach has given his statement yet.

I don't think he assumed that the other side didn't ask for the delay. I'm pretty sure he read the statement that both sides wanted to push it back. His statement was correct. Trevor's side did ask for the delay. There was no reason to state that both did since his comment was in response to someone talking about Trevor's right to a speedy trial.

Me thinks you may be over thinking.

Just wondering if the trial delay, Mbakwe's wanting a transfer, and the fact that his JC coach is now at Memphis is a coincidence. Especially since the coach is supposed to be one of the defense witnesses. Probably nothing, but one has to wonder if the coach has given his statement yet.

Wouldn't that be a weird witness? why is a coach hanging out with his player this late at night?

Judge?

Doesn't the judge at some point have to start looking out for the accused? It is obvious that neither side is competant, I would think he/she would say enough is enough at some point right?

Me thinks you may be over thinking.

Dude - and all you other "what happened to the speedy trial?" idiots: The defense has WAIVED (this word means "given up") its right to a speedy trial and several times asked for a postponement of proceedings, including this latest postponement.

When BOTH SIDES ask for a delay, by definition this means that the defense asked for (yet another) delay. Jesus.

Top Bottom