Very Disappointed

Tubby Tyme

Reaction score
http://memphisroar.com/2010/05/mbakwe-to-visit-memphis/

2009 Class
Rodney Williams - Let's hope he develops a "J" and some dribble-drive skills.
Trevor Mbakwe - Most likely gone by week's end. Thanks Maturi. What ever happened to "Innocent until proven guilty"? This loss is on Maturi.
Justin Cobbs - Gone, and did not fit the mold of a Big 10 Point Guard. Nolen better be back and ready to go.
Royce White - Gone as of right now. For some reason, I still want him in Maroon and Gold.

What a promising class we had. Unbelievable!

This is scary, if we lose mbakwe idk anymore, lets hope he stays, and if not lets hope by some miracle that Royce gets a second chance and doesnt mess it up. Its hard to stomach knowing they are both so talented homegrown guys, Mbakwe is a smart good kid who i believe would never have committed the crime he is charged with, and Royce is misunderstood but he is a smart kid as well, he makes some dumb decisions. I hate to see such talented palyers who actually wanted to play for the gophers and would have been NBA bound forsure leave. Last time we will hold 5 star talent for awhile.

Agree on Williams and Cobbs.

However, I dont blame the AD for someone being charged with a felony or the other knucklehead.

I think blame goes on the players for acting up and on the staff for recruiting players with major question marks.

However, I dont blame the AD for someone being charged with a felony or the other knucklehead.

I think blame goes on the players for acting up and on the staff for recruiting players with major question marks.

See right there, you obviously haven't talked to trevor, just because he is charged with something doesnt mean its true. He is a nice guy, very well spoken, and he has a kid and a girlfriend who hes been with for a long time, why would he assault some girl? she was probably drunk anyways and has no idea what happened to her. Tubby wanted him here because he is a good kid and very talented, never "acted up", thats just not him

Someone should post an open letter to him and show him that minny fans support him and want him to play here, but we understand if he needs to leave because maturi doesn't want his name tarnished in any way. Makes me think Maturi puts his reputation before his student athletes

Someone should post an open letter to him and show him that minny fans support him and want him to play here, but we understand if he needs to leave because maturi doesn't want his name tarnished in any way. Makes me think Maturi puts his reputation before his student athletes

I am not trying to stir up trouble or start any sort of pissing match, but I have a question for you. How would you feel if Bo or a coach of another program you consider a rival knowingly played a guy who is charged with a felony? It doesn't happen very often that charges are completely bogus, Duke lacrosse notwithstanding, so the DA in Miami must have something to make him believe Mbakwe is guilty. That doesn't mean Trevor did it or the DA can prove it, but there is must be something there for charges to be brought.

Innocent until prove guilty is a right we all have under the US justice system. It is not a right to be a scholarship basketball player at a Big 10 university. I would be very disappointed in Bo's program if he was playing a kid under these circumstances.

See right there, you obviously haven't talked to trevor, just because he is charged with something doesnt mean its true. He is a nice guy, very well spoken, and he has a kid and a girlfriend who hes been with for a long time, why would he assault some girl? she was probably drunk anyways and has no idea what happened to her. Tubby wanted him here because he is a good kid and very talented, never "acted up", thats just not him

No I have not, have you?
Multiple High School and College transfers before coming here does not raise any red flags? Pretty bold to assume that about the girl too...

I would have taken him and Royce too, winning is the name of the game. If you are a big time coach, you get the credit, but then also the blame when things do not go as planned.

I never said he was guilty or thought he was - but there has to be something there to be charged with a felony and I still wonder why he left town right after the incident under questionable circumstances...

I am not trying to stir up trouble or start any sort of pissing match, but I have a question for you. How would you feel if Bo or a coach of another program you consider a rival knowingly played a guy who is charged with a felony? It doesn't happen very often that charges are completely bogus, Duke lacrosse notwithstanding, so the DA in Miami must have something to make him believe Mbakwe is guilty. That doesn't mean Trevor did it or the DA can prove it, but there is must be something there for charges to be brought.

Innocent until prove guilty is a right we all have under the US justice system. It is not a right to be a scholarship basketball player at a Big 10 university. I would be very disappointed in Bo's program if he was playing a kid under these circumstances.

Well stated.

If Bo were playing someone under felony charges, I would be disappointed as well, and can you imagine this board...there would be a lynching..

No I have not, have you?
Multiple High School and College transfers before coming here does not raise any red flags? Pretty bold to assume that about the girl too...

I would have taken him and Royce too, winning is the name of the game. If you are a big time coach, you get the credit, but then also the blame when things do not go as planned.

I never said he was guilty or thought he was - but there has to be something there to be charged with a felony and I still wonder why he left town right after the incident under questionable circumstances...

So, you would have taken the players, but you blame the staff for taking the players? What?

Funny, the article makes no mention of the seriousness of the charges against Trevor. The man is facing a felony charge which the article describes as "an unresolved court case." Must be a parking ticket, aye?

Reminds me of the '08 class for OSU - keep in mind this was a top-5 class nationally:

BJ Mullens - 1 & done - averaged 8.8 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 63.8% from the field in his one season.
William Buford - still at OSU, has done great
Anthony Crater - left after 10 games of his frosh season, averaged 1.2 ppg, 1.9 apg, shot 20% from the field and 14% on 3s.
Walter Offutt - left after 4 games of his soph season, averaged .9 ppg as a frosh
JC players Jeremie Simmons and Nikola Kecman were also in this class, but no doubt those other four were the reasons this class was as highly regarded as it was. All that's left now is Buford and Kecman (who can't be expected to play at all).

So OSU had a top-5 class 2 years ago but has basically one player left from it. UCLA had the #1 class in 2008, and look what's left of that - Jrue Holiday was 1 & done after averaging 8.5 ppg, Drew Gordon (McD's AA) left after 6 games of his soph season, J'mison Morgan (top-30 recruit) was dismissed after never really having an impact and playing sparingly his soph season, and now basically all they have left is Malcolm Lee (had a fairly good soph season on a bad team) and Jerime Anderson (pretty average role player so far). So it's not like an apparently promising class falling apart is all that unusual. But let's be honest - when you take on players who have been known to have had issues like a Royce White, you can't be all that surprised if it doesn't work out for those guys. The Gophers' class wasn't all that big to start with - just 4 guys - so when 2-3 of them leave early, then you've got to just turn the page and get some more players in other classes, which the Gophers have tried to do with their late additions in the '10 class.

Maybe Mbakwe was drunk.

Bingo.

Actually, this article gave me a ray of light about Mbakwe remaining a Gopher. It ended with this direct quote from Trevor:

"I’m probably going to wait until I hear back from the NCAA. They said it could take up to 30 days. I don’t want to go into a situation where I transfer and end up having to sit again. It would defeat the whole purpose."

Well, call me crazy, but I just don't see any way possible the NCAA grants the kid a waiver. Based on what? The fact his own defense attorney has dragged this case out? The fact that he is charged with a felony? I understand that it is a frustrating situation for Trevor, but the NCAA has played hardball with much sadder and more desperate situations than this. I just can't see the NCAA setting a precedent that would encourage kids to transfer based on who lets them play with pending felony charges. I just can't.

Which leads me to the next thing...get the freaking case figured out. Take it to court. If they have as strong of a case as they are telling the coaching staff and Maturi, then let's go. Don't ask for any more delays. If you're having trouble getting witnesses, then subpoena everyone who needs to be subpeona'd. Get it going.

Actually, this article gave me a ray of light about Mbakwe remaining a Gopher. It ended with this direct quote from Trevor:

"I’m probably going to wait until I hear back from the NCAA. They said it could take up to 30 days. I don’t want to go into a situation where I transfer and end up having to sit again. It would defeat the whole purpose."

Well, call me crazy, but I just don't see any way possible the NCAA grants the kid a waiver. Based on what? The fact his own defense attorney has dragged this case out? The fact that he is charged with a felony? I understand that it is a frustrating situation for Trevor, but the NCAA has played hardball with much sadder and more desperate situations than this. I just can't see the NCAA setting a precedent that would encourage kids to transfer based on who lets them play with pending felony charges. I just can't.

Which leads me to the next thing...get the freaking case figured out. Take it to court. If they have as strong of a case as they are telling the coaching staff and Maturi, then let's go. Don't ask for any more delays. If you're having trouble getting witnesses, then subpoena everyone who needs to be subpeona'd. Get it going.

Or, if the NCAA grants the waiver, does that give Maturi enough 'cover' to be brave enough to let him play? Essentially, the NCAA would be giving him the thumbs up to play, Memphis would be giving him the thumbs up to play, and we already know Tubby wants him to play. Since Maturi is so concerned with how the media will view it, that might help. However, I get the sense that Trevor has had with Maturi, and if the NCAA clears him to play, he's gone no matter what.

I read it the same way. I don't see how he would get the waiver.

How did you feel about Bo Ryan letting Boo Wade play?

Boo Wade was arrested in February 2004 for attacking his girlfriend and faced potential felony charges. He was held out for two games but was playing again within a week of his arrest. A few months later, Wade took a plea bargain and pleaded no contest to two misdemeanors, one count of disorderly conduct and one count of bail jumping.

Let me add that as a parent of high school athletes, I would be very reluctant to have my sons sign on with a program that has such baggage over its head. Guilty or no, reputations matter.

I don't know how Ralph Sampson feels about such matters, but he thought enough of Tubby to send his son to the University of Minnesota.

Top Bottom