Marcus Alipate Highlight film

we really need to offer. At least hed be better than Estan Tyler even if ESPN doesn't think he is.

we really need to offer. At least hed be better than Estan Tyler even if ESPN doesn't think he is.

A number of schools have taken a hard look at Alipate, including Minnesota and Wisconsin. UM and UW both need a PG in 2011, yet neither has offered. I think that's pretty telling. UW has since filled their PG need, so Marcus will not get an offer from the Badgers, and I will be surprised if he gets one from Tubby. I think he's a solid player, but I don't think he's a Big 10 prospect at this point. At the Sabes event earlier in May, he looked like he has filled out quite a bit and put on some good weight. He looks like a safety now.

I haven't seen him play so I can't contribute too much, but I know judging players strictly off of highlight tapes is usually a big mistake. My gut feeling tells me Estan Tyler would be the way to go if we we're choosing between the two.

Why do people think Tyler is so great? Yes he reminds me a bit of Al nolen but Nolen could actually score in high school believe it or not. Did Tyler average over 15 a game? I know Alipate can score and play the point.

Why do people think Tyler is so great? Yes he reminds me a bit of Al nolen but Nolen could actually score in high school believe it or not. Did Tyler average over 15 a game? I know Alipate can score and play the point.

It's not always that simple, but Tyler is capable of scoring when he wants to, the difference is he is a pass first point guard whose number one priority is running the offense and getting people involved. Royce only averaged like 14 points per game IIRC yet was named the second best scorer in the country for forwards by ESPN while guys like Cody Schilling averaged 20-30 points and was a 2* and is playing D2 basketball. It isn't always as simple as who scores more points in high school and who has better stats.

No, Tyler can't score at will. I've seen him play on 3 separate ocasions, sure hes quick and can pass, but give him a open three pointer and he'll drain 1 out of every 4 or 5

No, Tyler can't score at will. I've seen him play on 3 separate ocasions, sure hes quick and can pass, but give him a open three pointer and he'll drain 1 out of every 4 or 5

I agree that he's not a phenomenal scorer, I'm not trying to say he is, but he's at least capable when he decides that's what he wants to do. He's definitely a pass-first point guard. He also has like 8 other point guards on his team and played on arguably the best team in the state, so he didn't have the ball in his hands at all times and wasn't put in a position where he needed to score a bunch of point for his team to get the win. If you put him on a team that had less guards so he had the ball in his hands more I bet you would have seen him score more points than he did. Like I said though, I agree that scoring isn't his number one thing.

Also, not sure who you're arguing with here, because I didn't see anyone say that he can "score at will."

Looks slow

I'm far from a scout, but he looks slow of foot, by D1 standards. I only watched Tyler during the State Tourney, but he appeared to be quicker by a large margain.

Needs to get stronger, more physical. Given his lineage, that's certainly a good possibility.

In my opinion, he's not quite a major conference point guard yet - but is capable of breaking into that tier. We'll see.

I haven't seen him play so I can't contribute too much, but I know judging players strictly off of highlight tapes is usually a big mistake.

Exactly. Notice you never see youtube or highlight clips of players turning the ball over, missing shots, or getting burned on defense.

He has a major problem going left. Out of all of those highlights, I'm not sure I saw him go left once?

He's a nice player but not much of a comparison between Tyler and Alipate. Tyler has a much better handle, shot and is quite a bit quicker. Alipate's strength is his strength but he's not D1 quick. Definitely a nice D2 player if that's the direction he wants to go.

Crossing over and putting that Burnsville kid on his ass was pretty sweet

It's not always that simple, but Tyler is capable of scoring when he wants to, the difference is he is a pass first point guard whose number one priority is running the offense and getting people involved. Royce only averaged like 14 points per game IIRC yet was named the second best scorer in the country for forwards by ESPN while guys like Cody Schilling averaged 20-30 points and was a 2* and is playing D2 basketball. It isn't always as simple as who scores more points in high school and who has better stats.

IIRC?

He's a nice player but not much of a comparison between Tyler and Alipate. Tyler has a much better handle, shot and is quite a bit quicker. Alipate's strength is his strength but he's not D1 quick. Definitely a nice D2 player if that's the direction he wants to go.

Winona State needs a PG after this season...

Winona State needs a PG after this season...

That'd be a really nice fit with EVERYTHING Winona has coming into their program. Lot's of pressure on their coach to pull the deal together. Heck of a collection of talent for a town I've driven through once and felt no reason to stop.....until this year.

Top Bottom