Tubby recruiting

BigGopherFan

Banned
Reaction score
No one will argue that Tubby Smith is a better coach than recruiter. With that said, how would you rank his recruiting classes thus far at the U based on a letter grade system?
My grade: B-

"When Smith arrived, many assumed the Gophers would immediately earn access to some of the nation's top recruits. But the squad hasn't signed a blue-chipper from outside the state during Smith's time here."
—Myron P. Metcalf

Year by year

Year 1 - off the charts, for a 9 win team. Pulling Sampson away from Kentucky and GA Tech. a four star G with interest from Kansas, the big Hoss from SD as well as some JC's he probably wouldn't have pursued if the team didn't need such a drastic makeover (9-22 to 20 -14)

Year 2- Depends on how you grade it. How it turned out or how it looked when he signed it. ESPN rated it as the #10 class in the country. Of course they didn't know 2/4 would never see the court and that another 1/4 would transfer after 1 year, and Tubby didn't either. The holier than thou's will blast Tubby for taking Royce based on his cheating, but I don't. I give this class an A+, based on how it looked when it was signed.

Year 3. Call me an apoligist, but I give him some slack. It's hard to recruit when you have no idea who will be coming back. Contrary to what some people say, I think we had a real chance with C. Joseph, and I think the coaches felt so too. Walker, Elliason and Hollins Monson would have had no shot at getting

I think we will be OK

It's hard to recruit when you have no idea who will be coming back.

Can't agree there. You should be recruiting nonstop, every second. Things change.

Plenty of time for the 2010 class to be refined.

1st year= 2 NBA prospects and an emerging Colt off of a 9 win season= A
2nd year= 1 5 star, 1 4 star, 1 3 star, and a JUCO player with 5 star skill=A+, but that failed, not Tubby's fault
3rd year= Walker, sought after by marqutte, pitt, uconn, and rutgers, thats a good get, hollins= 6'4" shooter with an NBA coach for a dad, under the radar guy who should be a more atheltic version of hoffarber, Eliason=project Ahanmisi= desperation Oto= Possibly surprisingly good get, time will tell. I think he has the intangibles to be a solid BT player I give this class a B

2nd year= 1 5 star, 1 4 star, 1 3 star, and a JUCO player with 5 star skill=A+, but that failed, not Tubby's fault

I think you are giving Tubby too much of a pass on the 2009 class. The two 5-star types you mention both had a history of being unreliable coming in. The 4-star was a guy who everyone believed would have trouble qualifying. Tubby took a risk on three of the four kids in the class and got burned by two of them. The one who seemed the most reliable transferred. I think it's pretty generous to give him an A+ on that class.

I think you are giving Tubby too much of a pass on the 2009 class. The two 5-star types you mention both had a history of being unreliable coming in. The 4-star was a guy who everyone believed would have trouble qualifying. Tubby took a risk on three of the four kids in the class and got burned by two of them. The one who seemed the most reliable transferred. I think it's pretty generous to give him an A+ on that class.

Like the post above me says, on paper I give that class an A+. in reality probably a B+ for williams and if trevor and or Royce comes back and plays a whole season w/o trouble, I give it an A still.

2010 Recruiting questions

Did they lose the shot at any PG's while waiting around for Cory Joseph to decide? If so, hard to blame them for that, with D. Joseph and presumabely Nolen and maybe even Cobbs coming back.

They settled on Elliason pretty early. A 7 footer who can drain free throws sounds good to me. Is he a classic case of "he must be a project if he's going to Minnesota" or is he really a stiff?

Diddo for Hollins. I thin khe signed pretty early. Had an offer from Memphis, but that could be due to local ties.

Why did Walker, with all of those offers, wait so long to sign? Somebody on here wrote he was a sure bet for the Big East. With all of those Big East offers, why did he wait to sign with a B10 school very late?

Like the post above me says, on paper I give that class an A+. in reality probably a B+ for williams and if trevor and or Royce comes back and plays a whole season w/o trouble, I give it an A still.

The issue is you said, 'not Tubby's fault', which is silly.

UWOle nailed it - Tubby had a great class on paper, but it was filled with asterisks for risks/questions... we took risks and have lost.

Did they lose the shot at any PG's while waiting around for Cory Joseph to decide? If so, hard to blame them for that, with D. Joseph and presumabely Nolen and maybe even Cobbs coming back.

They settled on Elliason pretty early. A 7 footer who can drain free throws sounds good to me. Is he a classic case of "he must be a project if he's going to Minnesota" or is he really a stiff?

Diddo for Hollins. I thin khe signed pretty early. Had an offer from Memphis, but that could be due to local ties.

Why did Walker, with all of those offers, wait so long to sign? Somebody on here wrote he was a sure bet for the Big East. With all of those Big East offers, why did he wait to sign with a B10 school very late?

If you step back and think about things, you will find answers/revisions to most of your questions.

BTW - I'm curious on your definition of 'can drain free throws'?

Warrior

I thought I read that Eliason made like 79% of his free throws. Could be wrong, far from a recruiting guru, just think I remember reading that.

As far as retracing my steps, I guess the coaches think Elliason and Hollins are stars, and Mo Walker doesn't like the Big Least? I didn't realize my questions were so illuminating that simply retracing their steps would yield their answers.

I thought I read that Eliason made like 79% of his free throws. Could be wrong, far from a recruiting guru, just think I remember reading that.

As far as retracing my steps, I guess the coaches think Elliason and Hollins are stars, and Mo Walker doesn't like the Big Least? I didn't realize my questions were so illuminating that simply retracing their steps would yield their answers.

The Big Least? I disagree

Big East

I disagree with myself too. Big East is a solid.

I don't think he had all those offers.

Eliason picked Minnesota over Stanford and Creighton.

Hollins chose the Gophers over Memphis and Arkansas.

Walker certainly had interest from bigtime schools including Big East teams, Pitt among them.

Osenieks picked The U over Iowa State and Providence.

Ahanmisi chose Minnesota over Loyola (IL) and Calif-Santa Barbara.

It is silly for people to critizie Tubby for taking a chance on Royce. I am sure that Tubby really felt that Royce was going to play at the U. What if Tubby wouldn't have taken the chance and not offered Royce.... even more people would have attacked Tubby for not being able to get the big recuits in his own state! Hindsight and not being accountable for a decision makes everyone an expert.

lots of ??? Next year is critical

Its not a nationwide comparision. It is compared to the other Big 10 schools. If that is the benchmark we need another year like his first year to catch up.

First year: A
Year 2: Should have been an A, ended up a B-
Year 3: C- turns into another B- as either Trevor or Royce plays
Year 4: Critical year. Either we are a program that is on the way up or back to where we were

Enjoy reading this thread, interesting topic. But I have to give Tubby an incomplete on recruiting. Why? Because no one knows how these players are going to evolve while at the University. Going solely on rating services should be a rote exercise: how many are 3 stars v. 4 stars, etc.

At the D-1 level, a talented basketball player can no longer rely solely on previously displayed talents.

It is silly for people to critizie Tubby for taking a chance on Royce. I am sure that Tubby really felt that Royce was going to play at the U. What if Tubby wouldn't have taken the chance and not offered Royce.... even more people would have attacked Tubby for not being able to get the big recuits in his own state! Hindsight and not being accountable for a decision makes everyone an expert.

I agree 110 percent.

Enjoy reading this thread, interesting topic. But I have to give Tubby an incomplete on recruiting. Why? Because no one knows how these players are going to evolve while at the University. Going solely on rating services should be a rote exercise: how many are 3 stars v. 4 stars, etc.

At the D-1 level, a talented basketball player can no longer rely solely on previously displayed talents.

Couldn't agree more. Great post.

Go Gophers

Year 1 - off the charts, for a 9 win team. Pulling Sampson away from Kentucky and GA Tech. a four star G with interest from Kansas, the big Hoss from SD as well as some JC's he probably wouldn't have pursued if the team didn't need such a drastic makeover (9-22 to 20 -14)

Year 2- Depends on how you grade it. How it turned out or how it looked when he signed it. ESPN rated it as the #10 class in the country. Of course they didn't know 2/4 would never see the court and that another 1/4 would transfer after 1 year, and Tubby didn't either. The holier than thou's will blast Tubby for taking Royce based on his cheating, but I don't. I give this class an A+, based on how it looked when it was signed.

Year 3. Call me an apoligist, but I give him some slack. It's hard to recruit when you have no idea who will be coming back. Contrary to what some people say, I think we had a real chance with C. Joseph, and I think the coaches felt so too. Walker, Elliason and Hollins Monson would have had no shot at getting

I think we will be OK

Compared to what Monson would have recruited, yes we are in good shape. But is that the comparison we should use for Tubby?

Top Bottom