The Next AD - Find Minnesota's Pat Richter

Ski U Mah Gopher

Member of the Tribe
Reaction score
I think that the U should go the Wisconsin route (pre-Alvarez) and hire a businessman with a background in sports at the U.

Much like Shalala did when she hire Pat Richter, who was a 2x All-America Tight End at Wisconsin. After finishing in the NFL, Richter rose to become VP of Personnel at Oscar Meyer. He might have cut baseball, but look at the success in his tenure in football and basketball.

I've always objected to ideas and philosophies like this- trying to replicate what happened at Wisconsin, or Iowa or Northwestern or whatever rags to riches story there is in college athletics. Wisconsin is a much different school- I know it seems that the current situation of the Gophers is similar to what Wisconsin had experienced prior to the arrival of Donna Shalala, but I think it is a mistake to try and find "Minnesota's version" of Barry Alvarez or Pat Richter or Mike Eaves whatever else. It's gotta be something that will work with the unique framework that exists already and should not be trying to constantly replicate or live up to another program- it doesn't work that way.

hire a businessman with a background in sports at the U"

holy crap is that funny!!!!! Nobody wants the job dude. With the sorry excuse for an alumni base and a town that farts gopher sports instead of eating it, it would be impossible. We are very lucky to have Joel. Lets be supportive of the people we have now. They deserve more respect and fan support.

it's true that many people wish we could use the wisconsin way to find revenue sports success again. when shalala started at wisconsin, their football and basketball programs were awful and she determined that they would never get the money from donors unless they were competitive. she was right and made the moves to reach her and the university's goals.
personally, i'd be willing to cut some sports to help minnesota's revenue teams. unfortunately that was tried a few years ago with golf and one other sport, which is slipping my mind. however,the outcry was enormously against it. i despise joel maturi for his lack of spine and handling of revenue teams, while spewing his populist b.s that all other sports are just as important. then again, maybe he is saying publically what many mainstream sports fans believe here: that all teams are important and equal. i don't think it's completely outlandish considering the populist all or nothing talk about beer in tcf stadium.

it's true that many people wish we could use the wisconsin way to find revenue sports success again. when shalala started at wisconsin, their football and basketball programs were awful and she determined that they would never get the money from donors unless they were competitive. she was right and made the moves to reach her and the university's goals.
personally, i'd be willing to cut some sports to help minnesota's revenue teams. unfortunately that was tried a few years ago with golf and one other sport, which is slipping my mind. however,the outcry was enormously against it. i despise joel maturi for his lack of spine and handling of revenue teams, while spewing his populist b.s that all other sports are just as important. then again, maybe he is saying publically what many mainstream sports fans believe here: that all teams are important and equal. i don't think it's completely outlandish considering the populist all or nothing talk about beer in tcf stadium.

Good post. Much of what you say is probably true, and very depressing. I try and follow the other sports when I can, but I'm sorry, I cannot get as excited about the 'big' baseball game tonight as I would for any basketball or football game, even against a weak team. And the 'populist' folks don't either, but they like to pretend all the sports are equal, even though they don't personally pay attention to any of them.

I dunno- I still think that it's a misleading way to think about solving the problem. Minnesota is not Wisconsin nor is it a former version of Wisconsin. If things are going to work out, it's got to be working with what's already there, not constantly starting over and trying to overhaul,reinvent or mimic anything that's happened on the other side of the fence. That's been tried and failed too many times in Minnesota. Got to find a more unique, innovative way out of the hole- not going to be successful any other way.

There are a few alternatives for a new AD:

A current AD from a BCS school (highly unlikely to happen)
An associate AD from a BCS school (a little more likely)
A current AD from a mid-major (most likely)

or

We can think outside the box and go into the business world, and take a whole worldview on hiring and management.

Top Bottom