2011 Recruiting

Go Gophs eh?

Reaction score
With anywhere from 2-4 schollys availible, who should we land? and who should we land if coleman and jesperson commit? what about Ross Travis? other PGs or PFs?

Coleman and Jesperson are must gets in my mind. Other than that a point guard like Estan Tyler would be nice.

Branden Dawson would be very nice to get (SF) what we need.......... Likely to stay in state though (Indiana, Butler, Purdue)

I don't feel so optimistic about Tyler. When I saw him play he wasn't a good shooter or scorer really for that matter, he was quick and could run a team though. I just don't feel he's starting Big Ten pg material, especially when the gophs are looking to be a contender in the near future.

I saw some where on here that we are pusuing 3 4 star pgs but i can't remember if they were class of 2011 or 2012? anyone see that post?

Found it
I think the two players most likely to join Minnesota's 2011 recruiting class right now are Jesperson and Hopkins High School wing Joe Coleman. That wouldn't be a bad tandem to add if the Gophers can also land an elite point guard to the class, like either Ryan Boatright from Illinois, Chasson Randle from Illinois or Shane Larkin from Florida -- all three were given four stars by Rivals.com.
From an article I found on the badger site, I don't know if we've offered these guys but it sounds legit. (by the way the article wasnt written by a badger fan)

Tubby has also offered Josh Oglesby from Cedar Rapids, IA. He's probably comparable to Jesperson (i.e. tall, shooter), but I would think Paul would bring more to the table with his extra height and ball-handling skills. I am not sure there are many 2011 prospect who shoot it better than Paul does, Oglesby included.

I wouldn't count on Chasson Randle being a Gopher. He's taking visits to Duke and Stanford in the coming weeks, and also has Illinois and Kansas high on his list. Those appear to be the top four, with Purdue and Wisconsin also in the mix.

Tubby has also offered Josh Oglesby from Cedar Rapids, IA. He's probably comparable to Jesperson (i.e. tall, shooter), but I would think Paul would bring more to the table with his extra height and ball-handling skills. I am not sure there are many 2011 prospect who shoot it better than Paul does, Oglesby included.

I wouldn't count on Chasson Randle being a Gopher. He's taking visits to Duke and Stanford in the coming weeks, and also has Illinois and Kansas high on his list. Those appear to be the top four, with Purdue and Wisconsin also in the mix.

Randle - agreed, recruitment is heating up... Gophers a longshot if that... local article from tonight: Quad City C-Randle Story

Jesperson... I'm not 100% sold on him being more than a contributor, but the shooting skills and size are enough that I'm glad we're where we are at with him. At times I think Romback looks just as good or better overall.. but then Jesperson sets himself apart with the shooting and that thought quickly goes away.

...but back to the OP's post.. there are tons of possibilities out there for 2011. Not to mention we still need to see where all the chips fall over the next few months before the 2010-11 season begins.. still plenty of potentially moving pieces (outside of the obvious).

A couple of tweets from Marcus on the subject from last night:

"MN is recruiting 4-star Ryan Boatright pretty hard, but it can't focus too much on one PG. Look what happened with Cory Joseph this yr."

"Four-star 2011 PG Chasson Randle and his coach haven't heard from Gophers since December. What's up with that? He's their best PG target."

Go Gophers!!

A couple of tweets from Marcus on the subject from last night:

"MN is recruiting 4-star Ryan Boatright pretty hard, but it can't focus too much on one PG. Look what happened with Cory Joseph this yr."

"Four-star 2011 PG Chasson Randle and his coach haven't heard from Gophers since December. What's up with that? He's their best PG target."

Go Gophers!!

Randle is not going to Minnesota. The Minnesota coaches may have decided their time would be better spent elsewhere.

Regarding Boatright, he is discussed in a new article this morning by the national Rivals writer. Miami is apparently the leader, Minnesota was not mentioned.

I'm confused. Who is going to run the point in the next couple years? I think Tubby should zero-in on a few blue-chip PGs for the future. Right now, I don't see Maverick being more than a perennial back-up. Remember, he originally committed with Boise State out of high school.

I don't see us landing much of anything in the Blue chip department until we start having some solid seasons under our belt. Sure we have Tubby, but that obviously isn't enough for us at the moment. It takes a lot to get kids to come to cold weather climates as much as I hate to admit it, and that really sucks when Minnesota doesn't produce any solid talent.

I talked to Ryan Boatright a week ago for a story. He did mention Minnesota when asked about his schools and he talked about them in a story last week.

I talked to Ryan Boatright a week ago for a story. He did mention Minnesota when asked about his schools and he talked about them in a story last week.

Could you post it on here? it would be much appreciated

We should really be looking into Ross Travis now that it seems Mbakwe and Royce are gone. I feel he had a Evan Turner style of play. A 6'7" athletic foward who can play point with good handles and great court vision, and a good looking mid range game

Ryan writes for Rivals (i.e. Gopher Illustrated), and does so very well.

Was that a serious question? You're asking someone who works for Rivals to post premium content on a message board?

lol i thought the same thing when i saw that post.

Anyways i dont believe Estan Tyler would be a bad pickup. I do agree that the staff should probably offer Ross Travis but he has to stay healthy. I really hope we get coleman and paul though.

http://www.wissports.net/sports/hoopsb/playerrank.asp?sportid=1&list=1&pos=6

Paul Jesperson is now the best player for 2011 in the state of Wisconsin. What a blow it would be to take wisky's prize hometown talent and use him againist them like they've done with us for years now.

We'll have to wait and see if it turns out to be a bad decision, but UW has not offered Paul because they already have a better prospect (in the minds of the UW staff) at that same position. Paul may be the best prospect in Wisconsin's 2011 class, but there are zero kids in that class with a UW or Marquette offer, so it's not a great class. I do think Paul has a chance to be a solid college player, but his physical limitations (i.e. he's not a great athlete) will probably keep him from being a legitimate #1 or #2 guy at the Big 10 level. His shooting and ball-handling ability could make him a nice complimentary player though.

Kind of a weird list of offers; All over the board. I've come to just accept that Tubby won't be bringing in a 4/5-star level players every season. I think there is a method to his madness though (I hope).

Kind of a weird list of offers; All over the board. I've come to just accept that Tubby won't be bringing in a 4/5-star level players every season. I think there is a method to his madness though (I hope).

Not sure how you consider that madness. Are you under the impression that 5-stars are knocking on his door begging to play for us and he's turning them all down for 3-stars? By the way, Coleman will likely be a 4-star before he graduates and Jesperson could be too if Jerry Meyer, Eric Bossi, Dave Telep, and/or Evan Daniels see him play again. Unfortunately I don't think he plays in a lot of big-time tournaments though, so he might go (somewhat) under the radar.

this years recruiting has made me weary

Royce, Trevor, Devoe, the 2 star recruits...a little worn out right now. Give me a few months I'll bounce back...but right now my low expectations have given me low interest....

His shooting and ball-handling ability could make him a nice complimentary player though.

Are you saying he's a very polite and well-mannered young man?

Are you saying he's given out free as a courtesy?

Or do they just not teach homophones at Madison?;)

Boatright speaking to Scout recently... per a note dropped by Telep today - see their site for the full story ($) - “Most likely I’m probably going to get up out of this area. My whole career no Big Ten schools have been after me. I’ve never considered anybody except DePaul and they’re in the Big East.”

Here is a free article on Shane Larkin from Wake Forest's Scout site.

"On the recruiting front, business is starting to pick up for Larkin. 'I have offers from VCU, USF, George Mason, Central Florida, and Clemson. I am getting a lot of interest from Alabama, USC, Wake Forest, Florida State, Miami, and Florida. Duke also called my coach last week.'"

http://wakeforest.scout.com/2/972819.html

Top Bottom