A thought about our shot blocking.

Frink

Reaction score
Is it just me or do we end up with possesion of the ball after a block shot far more than is normal? It seems like we do much less of the showy blocks where the help comes and spikes the ball out of bounds or to the other team.

Most of that seems to be because the shot blockers are good at controlling the ball and some of it seems to be that we just have quicker players to run down the loose ball. As I recall during the Holman/Rickert/Bauer era we also blocked a ton of shots but it didn't help our defense the way the blocks by Iverson/Sampson/DJ are.

A Bauer blocked shot would invariably wind up in the hands of the opponent under the basketball for an easy lay up.

It seems DJ and RSIII get a lot of blocks on the perimiter which in college and pro doesnt happen very much. They get a fingertip on a shot and slow it up to where they have position on the shooter and everyone else is getting in position for the rebound when the ball never makes it there. Most all other blocks happen at the rim and its power against power and the ball usually ends up out of bounds.

We block quite a few jump shots (Johnson does) which we seem to recover more often than not.

Is it just me or do we end up with possession of the ball after a block shot far more than is normal?

Up to the PSU game I would have disagreed with that. I have really been frustrated with how many of the Gophers blocks in earlier games have been recovered and laid in by our opponent.

It seems DJ and RSIII get a lot of blocks on the perimiter which in college and pro doesnt happen very much. They get a fingertip on a shot and slow it up to where they have position on the shooter and everyone else is getting in position for the rebound when the ball never makes it there. Most all other blocks happen at the rim and its power against power and the ball usually ends up out of bounds.

I think I remember Tubby saying something about emphasizing deflections, not blocks, which would be consistent with what you've noticed.

One thing about Iverson and RSIII

Been meaning to post this for several games now...

One thing I love about the big guys, especially for being so young, is that they block a HUGE majority of their shots in the paint without leaving their feet for shot fakes. They hold their position for the most part like true shot blockers, a tremendous asset for young guys like this. Other bigs the Gophers have had in the past go flying in the air to try to block shots in dramatic fashion. This probably includes JWill unfortunately. But these two young guys stand their ground in the paint and still come up with plenty of blocks!

Keep up the good work, Colton and RSIII!!!!!

Top Bottom