Gophers beat OSU 16-2!

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=38638&SPID=3298&DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=204948967

Just one win from clinching the #1 seed and at least a share of the regular season conference title! Who would have thought it after the way the nonconference schedule went. I'm signing my three year old up for Goldy's Kids Club for next season.

Watched it on the Big Ten Network and needless to say, it was a bonafide beatdown from start to finish. Hopefully the guys will continue with the momentum they gained by sweeping Penn State last weekend and nailing the Buckeyes to the wall yesterday. One seems pretty certain: The guys have picked the right time of year to start playing their best ball. :clap:

They certaintly did. I think it was to be expected though, they have a young team still and lost a lot of important guys off of last years team. Nohelthy, Decker, McCallum, Buske, Handran were all tough guys to replace. I think people's expectations for them were way to high coming into the year, I figured they had the talent to win the big ten (they almost always do), but it was going to be slow starting. Although they should never lose to teams like SDSU and NDSU. Glad to see they came together though. I was thinking all along they were going to have to win the tourney to get in from the start this year, I just didn;t see them getting an at-large bid, so hopefully they can continue this hot streak.

Also, I would love to see a sweep keep Ohio State out of the Big Ten Tourney and have Bob Todd retire on that note. I have always respected Ohio State as a program because they were fun to play and were one of only a few even respectable teams in the Big 10, but I dislike Bob Todd, he is one arogant coach. Hopefully who ever replaces him will do a decent job though, the Big 10 needs to have some quality teams. Minnesota and Michigan look to be solid for a while (After all 14 and Maloney are solid leaders) and Ohio State always has been, but even though I hated him, that was all Bob Todd (good coach, hated him though). Lets send Bob Todd out as a loser!

to be honest, this year I have followed the baseball team much less than ever before, I think in large part to the full time switch to the Metrodome, I swore I would never go back there to watch a baseball game once the Twins left and haven't been to game all year. If they we're outdoors, I would of went to at least 10-15 games by now. I still checked updates and scores but not going to games really made me not follow it as closely this year but it was really exciting to see the game yesterday, especially when you consider that the majority of the damage was done by freshman and sophomores.

It's exciting to see a lightly recruited kid like Nick O Shea turn into a potential superstar and a kid who I had never heard of like Hankemeyer turn into a potentail quality four year starter.

I assume Gominsky will take a medical redshirt year so he will still have three years left, hear great things about the Cretin kid redshirting, Bettenburg, Abrahamson as a true freshman will be a big bat in the future, Geason and Petterson will be four year starters with two years left each, O Shea a redshirt SO with a really bright future who may stick around at least one more year, and the redshirt freshman group of Puhl, Schlangen, and Larson look like they all have strong futures, not to mention Shultz and Ryan as soph. are nice role players.

Also hear that the small recruiting class is one of there best in years. The Crocker kid from Brainard is really good and sound's like the two middle infielders they signed from Wisconsin both have great gloves and big bats and we're both highly recruited.

If we can finsih with the stadium, the future is looking very bright for the program.

They certaintly did. I think it was to be expected though, they have a young team still and lost a lot of important guys off of last years team. Nohelthy, Decker, McCallum, Buske, Handran were all tough guys to replace. I think people's expectations for them were way to high coming into the year, I figured they had the talent to win the big ten (they almost always do), but it was going to be slow starting. Although they should never lose to teams like SDSU and NDSU. Glad to see they came together though. I was thinking all along they were going to have to win the tourney to get in from the start this year, I just didn;t see them getting an at-large bid, so hopefully they can continue this hot streak.

Completely agree. With as many young guys as we have on this team, it was going to take awhile for guys to learn their roles and adapt to being everyday players. The thing I was most worried about at the start of the season was starting pitching, but I've been really impressed with how both Isaakson and Oakes have adapted to being starters. Both of those guys have been really good and Rosin has been pretty solid as the ace as well. Frankly, I really like the fact that both Isaakson and Oakes will return and that the staff is excited about one of the other young guys coming in.

As far as a core of guys goes, having O'Shea, Petterson, a healthy Gominsky, Puhl, Geason, Larson and Henkemeyer all figuring to return should be a good bunch to build around. If we can find a good replacement at catcher for Kyle Knudson, I think we'll be right where we always seem to be: near the top of the Big Ten.

Listened to the first inning and a half today, Gophers down 1-0 and then lightning hit and the game was delayed and I believe cancelled and will be played as a doubleheader tomarrow.

Even with the rainout, it turned out to be a pretty good day for the Gopher baseball team as Michigan lost to Penn State 6-5. That loss gave the Gophers the top seed for the Big Ten Tournament next weekend and also clinched at least a share of the Big Ten title. So if the Gophers win one more game this weekend, they'll be Big Ten champs outright.

Either way, congratulations to coach Anderson and the guys for winning another Big Ten title!!!:D:D:D

JohnnyGopher

Johnny Gopher has to be Maturi. He knows all the inside stuff.

Next year

This team has a chance next year to be better then the 2009 team that finished the season ranked 21st in the nation. It's going to depend on how many guys get drafted and how many of those guys decide to stay. Next year has the potential to be a really fun year.

Kvasnicka is ready for the next level and is gone along with Knudson, O Shea will be the wild card, only a sophomore but redshirted so he is draft eligible but I just don't see him as a high pick and he would still have two years so he would still have leverage and I have a feeling he will be back. Plus add Gominsky and Crocker and the redshirts and we will still have a very strong lineup.

I think it's probably 80-20 on Rosin signing but I don't think it's a lock so who knows, Maytas is the wild card, it would be so nice to have a senior closer, probably 50-50. We have alot of young arms so who knows who will emerge and hopefully Oakes will be ready to take it to the next level as the ace.

I agree, there are some wild cards there. Rosin is expected to be gone, but I don't think he's goingto get the money he wants, and Maytas has no interest in playing pro ball. He's good enough to go, but I don't think he'll leave, he doesn't wanna play pro ball.

Where is BigGopherFan, who ridiculed the Gophers earlier this year, and now is totally dead silent?

Where is BigGopherFan, who ridiculed the Gophers earlier this year, and now is totally dead silent?

And here I was being selfish. I didn't stop to think about how much pain this must cause some Gopher "fans". :D

Draft

My prediction is that no one is going to leave early. They will all want to stay to win the College World series next year.

As much as I would love that, I am 100% that will not happen, I love how big of a Gopher Baseball fan you, but wasn't your prediction coming into the year that the Gophs would compete for a spot in the CWS?

Top Bottom