Marc Wilson sighting.

Frink

Reaction score
The Gopher guard from the mid 80's was back at Williams as an asst for the the Indiana women's team.

Interesting career he had. If I recall correctly he played well early, then was bypassed by younger players and had some injuries, then finished strong after the team lost so many people to off court trouble.

Marc Wilson

I'm fairly certain Marc was a 4-year starter. Started as a freshman alongside Tommy Davis the year after the Gophers won the Big Ten in 1982, I think. They were a nice guard tandem.

I could have sworn he lost his spot to Todd Alexander before Alexander's off court troubles forced him to leave. Can't believe that was 25 years ago!

I could have sworn he lost his spot to Todd Alexander before Alexander's off court troubles forced him to leave. Can't believe that was 25 years ago!

Maybe you're both right? Alexander was a freshman when Wilson was a jr. I think Wilson started most, if not all, of the games that year. When Todd was a soph, maybe he claimed the starting spot until he got suspended? That was the year of the iron five, so clearly Wilson started all the games after the "incident". That would make him a four year starter, even if he didn't start all of the earlier games of his sr year.

Marc and Tommy were a terrific combo. Tommy had the misfortune of playing before there was a three point line. He had the best outside shot of any gopher since Lou Hudson. (Lou, as a gopher, was before my time but I followed his career in the NBA.) Wilson was also an assistant coach under Cheryl Littlejohn, which couldn't have been a lot of fun.

If I recall, Alexander arrived after Davis graduated and Wilson moved over to the off guard position. The 1985 team was really good before the crap in Madison. Mitch Lee, who was the original Courtney James, was acquitted of a sexual assault charge before Madison. He had NBA potential but, along with some of the other players in the program, was completely out of control. That whole situation made the the Haskins scandal look like nothing.

I really hope that Bruininks, Maturi and Tubby (whose interests are not necessarily the same as the other two) are aligned and closely supervising the program. I haven't met any of the players but, when interviewed, they speak in complete sentences, which is an upgrade from the past. I hope that academics are taken seriously.

Lee's Champagne

Mitch Lee - after getting off on the first sexual assault charge in Centennial Hall he shows up at the next game with a champagne glass cut into his hair. After the acquittal on the Madison charge, the MN Daily publishes an editorial cartoon with a profile of Lee's head - now with two champagne glasses cut into the hair.

Top Bottom