Myron on Cobbs and Mbakwe

Its one thing to leave, but the trash talk on the way out is uncalled for.

Slow style of play? Cobbs picked the wrong league. The Gophers are lightspeed compared to others in the Big Ten.

A university release said the freshman point guard, who averaged 2.1 points in 10.7 minutes per game last season, wanted to move closer to his home in the Los Angeles area.

Cobbs, part of the 2009 recruiting class that many called one of the best in team history, said he was disappointed by his performance and had concerns about his playing time.

The kid averaged almost 11 minutes a game, as a freshman...I think that's pretty decent for playing time. Not to mention the fact that the starting PG is a senior, and failed to make grades last semester - playing time is WIDE open. If he wants to move closer to home, fine - but I wouldn't expect a better opportunity than here, at this time (wish not Cory Joseph to compete with).

Maturi said this:

"I guess I'd have to find out why he's continually delayed," Maturi said. "I'm not going to say there isn't a chance [I'll allow him to play]. If there's some evidence that would allow me to re-evaluate the situation, I will do that."

Ummmm...this has been going on over a year. If you haven't already looked into why his trial is being continually delayed, you're more incompetent than I thought.

Cobbs is a freaking joke! He didn't even wanna shoot the times he was playing. He was not particularly fast either. He was a liability out there when he was playing cause teams could play off him cause know they knew he wouldn't or couldn't shoot. He was a decent ball handler, and that's about it. Not very impressive.

Tubby's halfcourt system is slow, and tends to feature big men. It for sure affected CJ, especially with DJ already here.

Face reality please people.

Yes.. You dont think what he said was uncalled for?

what is uncalled for about this

"Coach wanted to slow it down," Cobbs said. "In high school, it was more of an up-and-down [system]. When he talked to me [during recruiting], he told me things were going to speed up."

Cobbs added later: "I felt a little limited -- not saying Coach Smith limited me, he has a good strategy, he's won championships. .... But for me to fit in, I felt it was a little different because I'm more of a scoring guard."

Myron Is The Jerk

Not Cobbs. Not at all.

I never thought MN media could POSSIBLY be worse than KY media.

But Myron and Marcus are indeed worse.

Not Cobbs. Not at all.

I never thought MN media could POSSIBLY be worse than KY media.

But Myron and Marcus are indeed worse.

Maybe you just need to get to know them better. Perhaps if you stayed in the same hotel as the for a gopher game you would become close personal friends of them. Maybe they will even give you their personal emails.

Cobbs is a freaking joke! He didn't even wanna shoot the times he was playing. He was not particularly fast either. He was a liability out there when he was playing cause teams could play off him cause know they knew he wouldn't or couldn't shoot. He was a decent ball handler, and that's about it. Not very impressive.

Cobbs added later: "I felt a little limited -- not saying Coach Smith limited me, he has a good strategy, he's won championships. .... But for me to fit in, I felt it was a little different because I'm more of a scoring guard."

Incredible. I never would have guessed that from watching him play. I think these guys are so used to lighting it up in high school that the thought of only playing 11 minutes a game (which I thought was generous) is egregious. They need to learn to sit tight and improve themselves as players (with solid coaching from a veteran like Tubby) before they can be impact players.

Unfortunately, Cory Joseph said that was one of his main reasons for not picking the U as well...

It makes me wonder who hosted Cory on his official visit. Did he stay with Devoe, or did they have him hang out with Justin? I mean, if Justin was already feeling discontent for the system and his role in it, you have to wonder if he casually communicated any of that with Cory, or any other potential recruits. I sure hope that's not the case.

I was going to say the same thing about Maturi, haha. How does he not know why the case has been delayed? His public statements are always so embarrassing. Is he ever in the loop?

The kid averaged almost 11 minutes a game, as a freshman...I think that's pretty decent for playing time. Not to mention the fact that the starting PG is a senior, and failed to make grades last semester - playing time is WIDE open. If he wants to move closer to home, fine - but I wouldn't expect a better opportunity than here, at this time (wish not Cory Joseph to compete with).

Maturi said this:

Ummmm...this has been going on over a year. If you haven't already looked into why his trial is being continually delayed, you're more incompetent than I thought.

I don't think he really said anything bad in there. I haven't liked a lot of his comments lately but I didn't really have an issue with those.

Incredible. I never would have guessed that from watching him play. I think these guys are so used to lighting it up in high school that the thought of only playing 11 minutes a game (which I thought was generous) is egregious. They need to learn to sit tight and improve themselves as players (with solid coaching from a veteran like Tubby) before they can be impact players.

I can see how an up tempo player would be frustrated by Tubby's offense. There doesn't appear to be alot of movement to it.

Man, Cobbs is going to love that extra 1.4 possessions per game at Cal.

+100000000

Man, Cobbs is going to love that extra 1.4 possessions per game at Cal.

A player named Michael Bradley left Kentucky in 1999 because he wanted to play F (not C) and shoot 3-pt FG more. His father saw him as The Next Larry Bird.

Bradley transferred to Villanova. He did shoot (21) 3-pt FG his 1 year there. He played C (not F) there. He did make A-A team and was drafted into NBA there.

He was not The Next Larry Bird after all.

That part gets me too. I look up the Cal teams recruits and I see Gary Franklin Jr., point guard, top 100 according to ESPN, which may or may not mean diddly, but if we snagged a top 100 I'd be really happy. So it's almost from the frying pan into the fire as far as competition.

Obviously PT wasn't a factor at all, cause let's be honest here, we ended up signing Maverick (no disrespect to the kid AT ALL) late in the period, and he's likely to get some time on the floor early on. That was a signing of necessity, because we are VERY thin at PG. Cobbs would have gotten plenty of time and opportunity to show out in his soph season. The kid obviously just didn't like it here, and that's his prerogative, we can't make people like Minnesota lol. Some just aren't made for this area like that.

Up Tempo.

I also have to laugh about the fact that he believes he will be part of a more up tempo style under Montgomery, who's greatest came courtesy of high flying, high octane guys like Mark Madsen, the Collins twins and Curtis Borchardt.

"...But for me to fit in, I felt it was a little different because I'm more of a scoring guard."

Aren't "scoring guards" suppose to shoot?

Top Bottom