Tubby said, "Rajon isnt good enough for the NBA"

JackyHemmingway

Reaction score
If you ask any former Tubby Smith athlete, i am sure you will hear a common trend that reflect a lack of confidence in his players abilities and talents. I have heard that he is verbally abusive and flat out disrepectful to the players to the point where the players want to fight coach. Lets step back and look at this for a second.

- NCAA Tourney run two years in a row.
- Arguably the most talent TEAM in the BIG TEN.
- Minnesota has beaten: Michigan State, Ohio State, Purdue, Wisconsin, and Butler. 5 schools that made it to at least the sweet 16 in 2010.

Sounds like a promising future for Gophers fans. But now...BEFORE THE SUMMER EVEN STARTS, there have already been 4 transfers. NO TIME WASTED BY THE PLAYERS! That means they had there mind set on transferring early in the season to get the ball rolling so soon...

What does that say about our beloved coach? I wouldn’t be surprised if Paul Carter, Trevor, Royce, and Justin Cobbs all go on to have great seasons next year, thus opening the eyes of everyone to ask...why did all this talent leave Minnesota???? Think people

100% dead on. Thank you for the courage to post it.

This is exactly why so many players have chosen to leave Tubby's program over the years, while there are hardly ever any transfers at other BCS conference programs.

while there are hardly ever any transfers at other BCS conference programs.

Open your eyes. Transfers are commonplace.

As for Minnesota this year, there have been two transfers - one of them was due to a family member being ill.

Dear WachyJacky:

If that was a direct quote from Tubby, he was right. In fact, as recent as two years ago the Celtics questioned whether or not they had a valid option at point guard.

To Rajon's credit, he found some playmaking skills last season albeit without effective shooting skills. This season he developed his shooting skills to complement his new found skills. The NBA is replete with late blooming players, including Rajon.

As for Tubby's alleged ill-temper, the same allegations have been waged on virtually all D-1 coaches.

Two transfers, one due to a player's sister needing crucial hospital care and the other due to a freshman away from home and home sick for family and friends.

Thank you for the courage to post it.

Courage? Lol. Good ol' Jacky is nothing but a troll. Seven posts all seem to be hyper critical of Tubby? Let me guess, A Kentucky fan?

Open your eyes. Transfers are commonplace.

As for Minnesota this year, there have been two transfers - one of them was due to a family member being ill.

I was hoping people would know my quality of posts well enough to know this post was sarcastic.

4 transfers?

Royce quit and has expressed interest to get back on the team
Trevor hasn't transferred yet and may not
Carter transferred because his sister is very ill - that doesn't count
Cobbs is the only legit transfer

Try again

Tubby gave an off the cuff assessment of a player's NBA value. Thats all. Pete Carroll openly disparaged Mark Sanchez NFL prospects in an effort to bring him back to USC. College/Pro sports is a big boys game. Criticism comes with it and the coaches and kids know it. But you're right in the fact that this criticism should be handled 'in house'.

Obviously, transfers happen everywhere. But in these cases, not a single one has mentioned the coaching staff as the primary motivation for leaving. Leaving for a lack of playing time, eligibility issues, and family concerns is pretty run of the mill stuff.

If you ask any former Tubby Smith athlete, i am sure you will hear a common trend that reflect a lack of confidence in his players abilities and talents. I have heard that he is verbally abusive and flat out disrepectful to the players to the point where the players want to fight coach. Lets step back and look at this for a second.

- Minnesota has beaten: Michigan State, Ohio State, Purdue, Wisconsin, and Butler. 5 schools that made it to at least the sweet 16 in 2010.

Sounds like a promising future for Gophers fans. But now...BEFORE THE SUMMER EVEN STARTS, there have already been 4 transfers. NO TIME WASTED BY THE PLAYERS! That means they had there mind set on transferring early in the season to get the ball rolling so soon...

What does that say about our beloved coach? I wouldn’t be surprised if Paul Carter, Trevor, Royce, and Justin Cobbs all go on to have great seasons next year, thus opening the eyes of everyone to ask...why did all this talent leave Minnesota???? Think people

Total BS by another racist from Kentucky.

Carter transferred to be closer to his sister, who is getting cancer treatment in Chicago.

Royce White quit. Justin Cobbs transferred back home closer to Los Angeles. Trevor is facing a Felony charge for assault.

You are an idiot.

This post is stupid on so many levels I don't even know where to start. For one thing, I'll bet you a very large sum of money that not one of Mbakwe, White and Cobbs has a "great season next year" at another school, for reasons any semi-conscious college bb fan would know.

Early favorite for worst thread of the year. You don't even have your facts straight.

Let's be clear: Tubby Smith is a fine coach and an even better person. We are very fortunate to have him represent our University and coach our young men.

Why are there responses to this thread?

No Kidding. Since Tubby's former players hate him so much, they are forced to have dinner with him when they are in town.

Rondo was a below-average player in college. He couldn't shoot 3' or free throws. The only thing that he had going for him was his speed.

As another post mentioned, Rondo must have worked very hard during the last few years to get to this level. If he stayed in college for another 2 years, he would have been even better under Tubby's instructions.

As for original poster, go back to your own board and get ready to cry when your current coach leaves to join his body in Cleveland.

Go Gophers.

Wow. I hate to start on this board with a thread like this but it begs a response.
I don't know which is worse, the idiot that started the thread by trying to smear the name of a good man or the moron who tried to smear an entire state by calling them R-A-C-I-S-T. Both of you may want to try again, this time without the agendas.

Wow. I hate to start on this board with a thread like this but it begs a response.
I don't know which is worse, the idiot that started the thread by trying to smear the name of a good man or the moron who tried to smear an entire state by calling them R-A-C-I-S-T. Both of you may want to try again, this time without the agendas.

Here http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/040406aaa.html you go.

Show me where Tubby says Rondo Isn't Good Enough For NBA. It says JUST THE OPPOSITE.

The rest of the original post was deliberately false, too.

Why would anyone post deliberately false information?

Rondo

A below average college player doesnt get drafted in the 1st round.. Hope the Wolves get a below average college player like Rondo

A below average college player doesnt get drafted in the 1st round.

bfo-rlmente.jpg

Players have produced little at the college level and have still been 1st round picks strictly off "potential". Rondo wasn't exactly one of those dudes though, he was quite legit in college. He wasn't near the player he became, but I'm thinking learning under Tubby for a couple years probably didn't hurt him. Getting a little ego check from his benching, etc. probably only helped him mature as a player.

No Kidding. Since Tubby's former players hate him so much, they are forced to have dinner with him when they are in town.

Rondo was a below-average player in college. He couldn't shoot 3' or free throws. The only thing that he had going for him was his speed.

As another post mentioned, Rondo must have worked very hard during the last few years to get to this level. If he stayed in college for another 2 years, he would have been even better under Tubby's instructions.

As for original poster, go back to your own board and get ready to cry when your current coach leaves to join his body in Cleveland.

Go Gophers.

See post by "anonymous" on players being run off by college coaches. Tubby is a well-known psychological and verbal abuser of his players. Rondo may have dinner with Tubby now after the fact, but he was NOT a happy camper during the time he spent with Tubby as his coach. All credit for Rondo's development goes to Rondo (with possible assist to Doc Rivers who is an excellent coach and respectful motivator).

JackyHemmingway's first two sentences tells me that this poster is more of an insider than Johnny Gopher on this issue. I've heard similar reports over the years (and no, FOT, I'm not a "Kentucky racist" and neither is this poster).

See post by "anonymous" on players being run off by college coaches. Tubby is a well-known psychological and verbal abuser of his players. Rondo may have dinner with Tubby now after the fact, but he was NOT a happy camper during the time he spent with Tubby as his coach. All credit for Rondo's development goes to Rondo (with possible assist to Doc Rivers who is an excellent coach and respectful motivator).

JackyHemmingway's first two sentences tells me that this poster is more of an insider than Johnny Gopher on this issue. I've heard similar reports over the years (and no, FOT, I'm not a "Kentucky racist" and neither is this poster).

Total BS. Tubby has high expectations but saying that he is verbally abusive is a joke. Stop reading gossip sports magazines. They only educate people who have nothing better to do than coming on this board to bash a well-respcted man/coach. Rondo was not good period. He would not pass the ball to Crawford. They got into a verbal fight during some games. If Tubby was abusive, he would have kicked this $hit out of the team. He was too nice a guy for that.

Cameron Mills, and Jeff Sheppard, who happened to be two players from UK who loved Tubby for his gentle coaching versus Rick Pitino's. Please stop the BS and let is go. You guys need to find a life.

Go Gophers

Absolutely NONE of that is true or accurate.

Now you're just embarrassing yourself.

Rondo did not fit into the college game and many of the fans could see his attitude that needed to be adjusted. He was too fast for his fellow players and that's all he had then...speed. Thankfully, Doc Rivers jerked his chain and Rondo has turned into a very special player. He also has an incredible (all-NBA) supporting cast.

Top Bottom