It's Cal for Cobbs

Soft landing. Great school, good program. Good luck to him.

I'm not sure how I feel about a recruit leaving and signing with an equivalent or better program. It feels better when they transfer down to a mid-major or lower.

"He has all the things you look for in a guard" Even if he would have stayed I would have questioned his shooting ability and the ability to handle the pressure on the press. One play that really sticks out in my mind was against MSU. Hoff had the ball at the top of the key and had given up his dribble. MSU was pressuring him heavily and Cobb just stood there and watched. A point guard needs to get the ball! He will probably do ok in the weak pac 10.

he will be loving his decision because of the two W's. The weed and the women.

Have you been to Cal?

Weed is dead on- women not so much.

Good school, good academics...I will root for him to do well and get his degree.

Pac 10/Big Ten teams in NCAA tournament
2010-2/5
2009-6/7
2008-6/4
2007-4/6
2006-6/6
2005-4/5
2004-3/3
2003-5/5
2002-6/5
2001-5/7
2000-6/4

Cobbs did well for himself to land at Cal. Nice school, location, and a pretty good BB program too.

IIRC, Cal was the school we beat in his recruiting in the first place. He originally committed to USC, backed off, and then it was between us, Cal, and some other school.

I wish he had stuck around. Might be a good player in a couple yrs. This transfer obviously doesn't make much sense from a basketball standpoint, given the opportunities he'd get here, our coaches, and the fact that we can safely call ourselves an NCAA regular again. But if he's homesick, he's homesick.

IIRC, Cal was the school we beat in his recruiting in the first place. He originally committed to USC, backed off, and then it was between us, Cal, and some other school.

I don't think he ever committed to USC. When he committed to us, he had just taken an official visit to San Diego State, was planning a visit to Iowa, was waiting on an offer from Cal, and labeled those three schools, along with the Gophers, as his top four. That's according to a Rivals article a week before he committed.

He had a verbal to USC but apparently Floyd cooled off on him, at least that's what I remember reading.

I don't think he ever committed to USC. When he committed to us, he had just taken an official visit to San Diego State, was planning a visit to Iowa, was waiting on an offer from Cal, and labeled those three schools, along with the Gophers, as his top four. That's according to a Rivals article a week before he committed.

I don't think he was a good fit at Minnesota. I wish him well at Cal.

How exactly are you so plugged into the recruiting scene that the idea that Cobbs once had an offer from USC (really not that great of a program) but lost it is so outrageous? Obviously players can think they have an offer but don't technically have one, but it says he basically lost the offer, so it's not like he's trying to make himself look good by listing that as an offer. Obviously I don't have any inside info, but I'm curious, how do you know that he never had one? I mean if Lil Romeo can have one...

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?t=6110
http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=819

Yep, that was shortly after Mo Walker had an official at Kansas and Oto was offered by Florida.

All The Best To Cobbs

The University of California is an excellent school, beautiful campus and obviously closer to home (though the few times I met Cobbs he didn't seem even remotely "homesick" to me).

He's a good kid and I'm sure he'll do well (both on and off the court). Good luck to him and hope that he has a successful collegiate career at Berkeley.

Top Bottom