Rodney's the key

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
We really, really, really, really need Rodney to take a major step up next season. I think he'll be the guy who'll determine whether or not the Gophers can be a pleasant surprise in the Big Ten (top 5) in 2010-11.

A source of mine talked with Tubby a couple weeks ago and was able to reveal his starting lineup (as of now) for next season. Considering Tubby has Rodney starting, I would say it is fair to say that Tubby expects big things from Rodney this year.

Devoe
Hoff
Rodney
Sampson
Iverson

I don't know whether to take that seriously, but honestly, I really hope he is starting, because the length and athleticism he'd bring to the starting line would be disruptive defensively. If he can bring an off dribble pull up J along with the ability to attack the rim confidently, that'd be great as well.

Is there anyway Rodney and AN start? The way I see it, Hoff and Joseph are locks. So for Rodney to start, Devoe has to be at PG with Hoff at the 2. For AN to start, Devoe has to be at the 2 with Hoff at the 3. I cannot see using Rodney at PF in that case, that would be one small line-up. I guess it's good to still have at least one 'depth' problem.

Good point Howeda. My guess is Al, assuming he's eligible, starts the season on the bench but still gets huge minutes, allowing Blake (SG) and Rodney (SF) to start. If Al forces the issue and his play demands he become a starter again, then that'll be a good problem for Tubby to have.

Is there anyway Rodney and AN start? The way I see it, Hoff and Joseph are locks. So for Rodney to start, Devoe has to be at PG with Hoff at the 2. For AN to start, Devoe has to be at the 2 with Hoff at the 3. I cannot see using Rodney at PF in that case, that would be one small line-up.

We can go small with this lineup too.

Al
Devoe
Hoff
Rodney
RS3/Colt

This is basically last years starting lineup at the beginning of the year inserting Devoe for LW and Rodney for DJ. We would get killed on the boards with this lineup though.

We can go small with this lineup too.

Al
Devoe
Hoff
Rodney
RS3/Colt

This is basically last years starting lineup at the beginning of the year inserting Devoe for LW and Rodney for DJ. We would get killed on the boards with this lineup though.

You could see that lineup if they plan on applying pressure and pressing.

I also think you might see this lineup at times.

Al
Devoe
Hoff
RS3
Iverson

You could see that lineup if they plan on applying pressure and pressing.

I also think you might see this lineup at times.

Al
Devoe
Hoff
RS3
Iverson

I think this is our best lineup with Rodney our 6th man getting plenty of minutes.

I think this is our best lineup with Rodney our 6th man getting plenty of minutes.

Don't forget about the Latvian Express!! I think he'll turn some heads & surprise a lot of people! He & Rodney both have a lot of hops.

Its not like the Gophers really even have a 6th man with the subbing patterns Tubby uses.

They might have to this year. I can't see the 5-on-5 subbing happening much with the current pieces. It will have to be 1-3 guys at a time like most teams.

2011-12 Starting lineup:

PG: Cobbs
SG: Devoe
SF: Rodney
PF: Royce/Mbakwe
C: RS3

...oh wait, can we include the "top 15" recruting class from '09?

Nothing like putting too much pressure on Rodney to perform so as to validate or rescue the '09 crop.

We all know what has happened with White, etc. The only thing worse is having to relive it every darn day in these comments.

It is what it is. Let's go!

Nothing like putting too much pressure on Rodney to perform so as to validate or rescue the '09 crop.

We all know what has happened with White, etc. The only thing worse is having to relive it every darn day in these comments.

What? People are just discussing Rodney's role as the only returning forward from last year. It has nothing to do with the rest of the '09 class, more to do with losing DJ and Carter.

Williams to start next year assuming he works on dribbling, shooting, passing, defense etc. It doesn't leave much for what he does well. All he's proven so far is in his ability to make highlight reel dunks. IMO, if Rodney is good enough to start next year that'll mean he spent more time in the gym working on skills then he has during the past 5 years combined.

I hope he does but history leaves me a bit skeptical.

A lineup of:

Nolen
Joseph
Hoffharber
Iverson
Sampson

seems more reasonable but not that inspiring either.

You know how much time he's spend in the gym working on his skills during the past 5 years combined? I guess you would since you're judging from knowing him well, not from watching a few youtube videos and generalizing, right?

Williams to start next year assuming he works on dribbling, shooting, passing, defense etc. It doesn't leave much for what he does well. All he's proven so far is in his ability to make highlight reel dunks. IMO, if Rodney is good enough to start next year that'll mean he spent more time in the gym working on skills then he has during the past 5 years combined.

I hope he does but history leaves me a bit skeptical.

A lineup of:

Nolen
Joseph
Hoffharber
Iverson
Sampson

seems more reasonable but not that inspiring either.

What? People are just discussing Rodney's role as the only returning forward from last year. It has nothing to do with the rest of the '09 class, more to do with losing DJ and Carter.

What part of "Rodney's the key" do you not understand? Let me help (see my earlier post).

One of the most asinine discussions pertains to "who will start?"

Why? Because match ups make a huge difference as to who starts, who finishes, who ends up on the court with the longest playing time.

Moreover, in Tubby's rotation system, "who will start" is virtually irrelevant.

I don't think a bunch of random gopher fans talking about Rodney's development being key to the team's success is putting a bunch of pressure on him. If Tubby said that to him, then maybe. Then again, maybe it just motivates him because it would mean the coach believes in him.

Why are you assuming that talking about Rodney being key is to validate or rescue the 09 recruiting class? Maybe it's just because he has the most potential of any player on the team.

"Maybe it's just because he has the most potential of any player on the team."

Thank you. That was the point of my post. Was not making any kind of a grand statement on a specific recruiting class.

I like Rodney's potential. Even moreso if Trevor isn't playing again, it becomes crucial that Rodney elevate his game. I think he will.

"Maybe it's just because he has the most potential of any player on the team."

Thank you. That was the point of my post. Was not making any kind of a grand statement on a specific recruiting class.

I like Rodney's potential. Even moreso if Trevor isn't playing again, it becomes crucial that Rodney elevate his game. I think he will.

I'm with you. I'm excited to see Rodney perform this year.

What part of "Rodney's the key" do you not understand? Let me help (see my earlier post).

It seems like nobody understands what the hell you are talking about. Everyone is excited to see Rodney's development, period.

You know how much time he's spend in the gym working on his skills during the past 5 years combined? I guess you would since you're judging from knowing him well, not from watching a few youtube videos and generalizing, right?

That's correct. I've watched Rodney quite a bit since he was a sophomore at Cooper and with Pulley. Don't get me wrong. Rodney has unbelievable athletic ability but he has yet to show the work ethic needed to masters the skills well documented on this site. Nobody has more of a rooting interest in watching this young man succeed than me. He's a great kid, great with other kids etc but this is the Big10 not the Eastsiderz or Summer League.

I'd love to see the kid start. Because one thing about Tubby is you can see if he doesn't get from the players what he wants, they won't play. If Rodney starts next fall it's because he has worked his rearend off.

Here's to hoping he does just that very thing!

Top Bottom