For those who find no fault in Maturi...

KyGopherfan

Reaction score
I've seen many posters defend Maturi up and down on his decision regarding Mbakwe. My issue and I'm sure it's the same issue with Trevor, is if Maturi had ANY inkling that he may not let Trevor play last season, why did our illustrious AD dither around for 3 months making the decision? Maturi made the error of not deciding early enough so that Trevor could leave the U and go to another school that would accept him.

Maturi knew of the charges in the summer. If a player can't play because of a felony, then he did a a disservice to Trevor by toying with him thinking there's a possibility he would play. For those that don't see why Trevor would be upset, this would be the main reason why. That was not fair to Trevor at all.

Congrats, Ky. You are the leader in the clubhouse for the most idiotic post of the year. You have ZERO knowledge regarding ANYTHING that Maturi actually discussed with Trevor since this whole matter first began. And no, checking out Trevor's facebook page on a daily basis DOES NOT not constitute reliable information about anything that Maturi told him about his status with the Gophers.

Congrats, Ky. You are the leader in the clubhouse for the most idiotic post of the year. You have ZERO knowledge regarding ANYTHING that Maturi actually discussed with Trevor since this whole matter first began. And no, checking out Trevor's facebook page on a daily basis DOES NOT not constitute reliable information about anything that Maturi told him about his status with the Gophers.

Yep

I've seen many posters defend Maturi up and down on his decision regarding Mbakwe. My issue and I'm sure it's the same issue with Trevor, is if Maturi had ANY inkling that he may not let Trevor play last season, why did our illustrious AD dither around for 3 months making the decision? Maturi made the error of not deciding early enough so that Trevor could leave the U and go to another school that would accept him.

Maturi knew of the charges in the summer. If a player can't play because of a felony, then he did a a disservice to Trevor by toying with him thinking there's a possibility he would play. For those that don't see why Trevor would be upset, this would be the main reason why. That was not fair to Trevor at all.

LOL! Not "fair" to Trevor.....good one.

He lost his "fairness" by allegedly committing a felony.

Upnorth

+1

:clap::clap::clap:

Yeah what you said

I was shocked at how long it took him in the summer/fall to figure out that he wasn't going to let Trevor play. If he is taking this hard line stance now, why did he put off making this decision for so long?

For the record, I support Maturi's decision and Mbakwe's decision to transfer smacks of something strange going on...

Wasn't there a chance that there would be some resolution prior to and sometime during the season? Until the season started, he had the luxury of waiting it out and hoping for resolution one way or the other.

Once the season started, then he had to make a decision. It had nothing to do with trying to snooker Trevor.

Bad post.

Trevor was most likely going to be allowed to play last year until another player had multiple run- ins with the law and the media starting asking questions and they felt like they had no choice but to hold him out. Trevor feels like he was promised by Tubby that he would be allowed to play and he has never let that go and still holds a grudge. He was complaining all last year and was talking about transferring all the time. Other coaches are filling his head with garbage about how they can get him eligible next year even though there is almost zero chance the NCAA will grant him a waiver. He has known Maturi's position all along so there really was nothing that happenned recently that would of changed things. At some point he's going to have to start taking responsuibility for his life and actions and not blame everybody else and just move when things get a little difficult.

I'll be in the minority and agree with you on this. Based on the information available in the media last summer, it seemed fairly obvious that Trevor's case was going to be in limbo for a long period of time. It was very unlikely that anything was going to change between say August and November other then the small chance of the charges being dropped altogether. There seems to be little reason Maturi couldn't have made the same announcement in August he made in November, that Trever couldn't play until the matter was resolved. It would have given Trever the choice to decide what he wanted to do. If what Johnny says is true, then I suppose that justifies the wait-and-see approach to a point. But that would mean Trevor was punished for Royce's screw-up, purely because Maturi didn't want to look bad. Either way he doesn't come off looking great in my book.

Wow, some of you guys are something.

Maturi did exactly what he had to do. He absolutely had to wait until the last possible moment. Heck, there were people on the staff who had a feeling that the case would be dropped at some point late in the summer of 2009. So, why would Joel Maturi in August or September issue any kind of a ruling? He was waiting it out like any good manager would do, most likely hoping the case would get dropped or resolved in some sense.

Sure, if he really wanted to look stupid, he could have said in August, Trevor is suspended. Then what? Trevor goes elsewhere? Not good. Trevor's case is dropped? Well, Maturi looks silly for suspending an innocent guy then.

Nope, Maturi did what anyone with half a brain would do. You hold off on any major decision until necessary. He literally allowed as much time to Trevor as possible. Then, when the season started, he had to suspend him...that should have been no shock to anyone. It is literally written in the U of M student/athlete code of conduct handbook. If Trevor was somehow surprised about it, he should have familiarized himself with school policy.

Trevor was most likely going to be allowed to play last year until another player had multiple run- ins with the law and the media starting asking questions and they felt like they had no choice but to hold him out. Trevor feels like he was promised by Tubby that he would be allowed to play and he has never let that go and still holds a grudge. He was complaining all last year and was talking about transferring all the time. Other coaches are filling his head with garbage about how they can get him eligible next year even though there is almost zero chance the NCAA will grant him a waiver. He has known Maturi's position all along so there really was nothing that happenned recently that would of changed things. At some point he's going to have to start taking responsuibility for his life and actions and not blame everybody else and just move when things get a little difficult.

So much for that whole waiting patiently and not being a flake thing.

Based on the information available in the media last summer, it seemed fairly obvious that Trevor's case was going to be in limbo for a long period of time. It was very unlikely that anything was going to change between say August and November other then the small chance of the charges being dropped altogether.

That is just false.

The trial at one point was supposed to GO TO TRIAL in September. So, why would Maturi make any ruling until that was over??? The trial then got delayed.

There were strong signals coming from the coaching staff that they believed the case was going to be dropped.

Those are things that Maturi was undoubtedly holding off on.

That is just false.

The trial at one point was supposed to GO TO TRIAL in September. So, why would Maturi make any ruling until that was over??? The trial then got delayed.

There were strong signals coming from the coaching staff that they believed the case was going to be dropped.

Those are things that Maturi was undoubtedly holding off on.

To me, that misses the point. Obviously, if the trial occurs or the charges are dropped, the whole thing becomes moot. The question is 'Maturi, if a player is charged but not convicted of a felony, will you let him play? No, never? Or maybe, depending on the circumstances? Clearly it was the latter.

Trevor should have been able to go to Maturi with this question before school started and get a straight answer. If this is still unresolved when the season starts, will you let me play or not? The fact that it might be dropped in the meantime is not the point. And if it were an absolutely black and white University rule that said he couldn't, there would never have been a question. Clearly it was at Maturi's discretion, and he knew the basic facts of the charges and Trevor's side of the story. He should have been able to give Trevor a straight answer even if he didn't make any public pronouncement. Maybe he did. But interviews he gave where he said he hadn't decided would indicate otherwise. Instead it appears that he let the actions of other members of the team influence Trevor's case, which hardly seems fair.

I'm in a more grumpy than usual mood so I won't get too into this... but, consider:

At the end of July, Maturi said Tubby had mentioned something to him, but he had 'no details at all'.. meanwhile Mbakwe wrote it off as 'it's just something you have to go through...'..'I'm ... not worried about it...'... etc.

Mbakwe fled Florida in early April. He was arrested and booked late April. The AD didn't know jack as of the end of July.

The reality is once those charges were brought against the student-athlete, he was automatically suspended from all team activities by policy. To be able to practice with the team, sit on the bench... this all required action from Maturi.

-------------------------------
Former St. Bernard's basketball standout Trevor Mbakwe, a key member of University of Minnesota coach Tubby Smith's incoming recruiting class, is facing a felony battery charge stemming from an April incident in Miami-Dade County.

"Some stuff went on; it's not true," Mbakwe said Tuesday night. "It will come out. That's why I'm just really not worried about it right now. I'm just focusing on school. There's nothing really much to it. It's just something you have to go through."

Mbakwe's attorney, Gregory Samms, wrote in an e-mail that this was "a case of mistaken identity."

According to a police report, a woman said there was a party at her Miami apartment complex for the Miami Dade College basketball team, Mbakwe's junior college team. She was walking from her vehicle to her apartment shortly before 3 a.m. April 3, according to the police report, when a man allegedly rode up on a bicycle and asked her if she was "(expletive) up."

"She ignored him, frightened and began to walk faster," the police report said. "The def(endant) rode beside her and asked if she was OK. She answered, 'Yes.' Then, the def(endant) dropped the bike and approached the victim. The def(endant) attempted to pull her pants down. The victim began to yell for help, and then the def(endant) punched her in the face, knocking her down.

"The victim got up and attempted to run away, when the def(endant) punched her again in the face," the report said. "The def(endant) got back on his bike. The victim called 911."

The woman was hospitalized, according to the police report, and suffered a fractured cheekbone and ruptured sinus. The woman identified Mbakwe, 20, from a photograph by searching online for the Miami Dade basketball team, according to the police report.

"Several attempts were made to locate the def(endant) with negative results," the police report said. "Further investigation revealed the def(endant) departed the state and returned to his mother's home in Minnesota."

After retaining an attorney, the report said, Mbakwe flew back to Miami to surrender. The St. Paul native was arrested April 28, the report said, but made no statements while invoking his rights.

"This happened awhile ago," Mbakwe said Tuesday night. "Coach (Smith) knows everything about it, of course. When the time comes, I'll be able to tell more about it. I'm just going through the (process) right now."

Mbakwe's court case is scheduled for Aug. 26 in Miami-Dade County.

Smith, who was recruiting in Phoenix, said in a statement Tuesday through the Gophers athletics communications office, "We are aware of the situation, but cannot comment at this time."

Minnesota athletics director Joel Maturi said by phone Tuesday that he wasn't aware of Mbakwe's case. Maturi didn't want to speculate about Mbakwe's future with the Gophers.

"I don't know any details at all," Maturi said. "Tubby did say something to me that there was an issue about the young man, and that he was going to look into it. We have not spoken about it since that time. I would have to know what the situation is. I need to know what the facts are and what the truths are. Until then, it wouldn't be appropriate for me to say what could or could not happen.

"Sometimes people are accurately accused. Sometimes people are falsely accused. Sometimes there's truth in between. We need to know what the facts are before I think any decisions are made," Maturi said.

Mbakwe, who lives with his girlfriend and 18-month-old son near campus in Minneapolis, has yet to graduate from junior college. Mbakwe is finishing a class online so he will be eligible to transfer to Minnesota and play for the Gophers in the 2009-10 season.

"I just have to take a class that ends this week," Mbakwe said. "After this week, I just have to wait for the school to send my transcripts. That's the only problem. I'm not ineligible or anything like that."

The 6-foot-8, 230-pound Mbakwe spent an injury-plagued freshman year at Marquette before playing last season at Miami Dade, where he averaged 16 points, 13 rebounds and three blocked shots a game.

He decided to return home and play for the Gophers, joining high-profile local recruits Royce White from Hopkins High School and Rodney Williams Jr. from Cooper High School. Mbakwe was projected as a starting power forward for the Gophers, and ESPN.com has predicted Mbakwe will be the Big Ten Conference newcomer of the year.

Miami Dade basketball coach Matt Eisele said Tuesday that he didn't know Mbakwe had been arrested. He said Mbakwe was a team captain for him and didn't seem the type of person who would get into this kind of trouble.

"He gets a full blessing from me," Eisele said. "We didn't have any issues with him. All I can control is my kids staying focused. When he was down here, he was a good kid for us."'

Maturi should've told Trevor in August that that he won't allow him to play with a felony pending and would grant him a release if wanted to go another school. It's really that simple. Then the onus would've been on Trevor to either stick it out with the U and go somewhere else that would let him play no matter what. If Maturi made the decision based on another player's problems, then he is very incompetent and has no business being anyone's AD.

Trevor is a knucklehead. I have a hard time feeling sorry for him no matter what really happened. Maturi is bad at his job. What is a fan to do?

Maturi should've told Trevor in August that that he won't allow him to play with a felony pending and would grant him a release if wanted to go another school. It's really that simple. Then the onus would've been on Trevor to either stick it out with the U and go somewhere else that would let him play no matter what. If Maturi made the decision based on another player's problems, then he is very incompetent and has no business being anyone's AD.

Holy cow. Yeah, let's say Joel did that just as you think he should have.

Then, let's say Trevor transfered.

Then, let's say the case got dropped in November as many thought it would.

Then, let's say Trevor goes on to lead his new team in rebounding, blocked shots, FG%, and slam dunks.

Then, would you all be on here saying Maturi did the right thing? Of course not.

You all would be on here admonishing Maturi for being the blubbering idiot who ran off the team's best rebounder and shot bocker - an innocent man - when he didn't need to.

Obviously, for some of you, Maturi can't win.

Joel handled this exactly how an AD should handle it.

It seems Trevor doesn't understand the concept of "unable to play until legal issues are resolved." If his legal issues lasted from now until 2020, he wouldn't be allowed to play. Therefore the honus is on Mbakwe's legal team to try to push up the trial, get the charges dropped or resolve it in some satisfactory manner, not on Maturi to magically let him play because....well.....just because. But Trevor apparently feels like he's some sort of victim in this case and is seeking to use it as an excuse to bail. If that's the case, feel free to leave, especially if it's to Memphis.

But Trevor whould understand one thing: The odds of him playing next year are between slim and none, regardless of what his buddies at Memphis or some other school are spewing at him. So if he's so hell bent on getting on the court ASAP, he'd be much better off sticking around. However, based on what Johnny already has said, not sure I want him around.

Holy cow. Yeah, let's say Joel did that just as you think he should have.

Then, let's say Trevor goes on to lead his new team in rebounding, blocked shots, FG%, and slam dunks.

Then, would you all be on here saying Maturi did the right thing? Of course not.

You all would be on here admonishing Maturi for being the blubbering idiot who ran off the team's best rebounder and shot bocker - an innocent man - when he didn't need to.

Joel handled this exactly how an AD should handle it.

You're missing the point. It should've been Trevor's decision to stay or go...period. It's his life. Maturi should've at least given him his options if he really cared about the kid. He knows Trevor wanted to play and didn't wanna wait. If he went and balled at another school, then that would've been great for him personally, and that's really all the matters in the end.

I am sometimes amazed at people being completely unable to put themselves in someone else's shoes. Johnny stated that Trevor WAS most likely going to be allowed to play until someone (Royce) had run ins with the law and the "U" didn't want any more negative publicity. If it is true that Trevor was going to be allowed to play and then actions of other teammates prevented that, how can you blame the kid for being upset?

That's a whole different issue than whether or not Trevor should have been allowed to play. I personally feel like Maturi was NEVER going to allow him to play before the case was resolved (and I obviously could be wrong on that given Johnny's info). If that was the case then he owed it to Trevor to let him know much earlier that he couldn't play until the charges against him were resolved.

On a total different topic, I don't see how transferring helps Trevor at all. I don't see the NCAA granting him a hardship waiver that allows him to play immediately. I could see the NCAA eventually giving him a 6th year, but I don't see any way he plays in 2010 at a school other than Minnesota. I would think that, if he still has NBA aspirations, he'd want to stay at Minnesota and hope he can get on the court at some point next season.

You're missing the point. It should've been Trevor's decision to stay or go...period. It's his life. Maturi should've at least given him his options if he really cared about the kid. He knows Trevor wanted to play and didn't wanna wait. If he went and balled at another school, then that would've been great for him personally, and that's really all the matters in the end.

So, you think Joel should have done this in August before school started? That was before the trial was delayed for the first of what would be four or five times. That was at a time that many believed the case would almost certainly be dropped before it ever went to trial. My god, the outcry from Gopher Nation would have been deafening if Maturi had run off Trevor at that point. C'mon. Hell, that was before Royce got caught shop lifting jeans. That was before Royce was partially implicated in a missing lap top computer case.

So, you think Joel should have done this in August before school started? That was before the trial was delayed for the first of what would be four or five times. That was at a time that many believed the case would almost certainly be dropped before it ever went to trial. My god, the outcry from Gopher Nation would have been deafening if Maturi had run off Trevor at that point. C'mon. Hell, that was before Royce got caught shop lifting jeans. That was before Royce was partially implicated in a missing lap top computer case.

What does the trial being delayed or Royce shoplifting have to do with Maturi's decison-making process? Either he was going to allow Trevor to play while awaiting the case being resolved or he wasn't. Maturi knew what he needed to know to make that decision one way or the other. It shouldn't have been left to a whim based on whether Royce and the rest of Trevor's teammates behaved or not.

Either you believe Trevor when he tells you he's innocent, and are willng to let him play, you don't or simply aren't sure and don't want to let him play, or you simply stand on the principal that you won't let anyone play while facing unresolved felonly charges, no exceptions. Those should have been the 3 choices. Not wait around until the last minute and stick your finger in the wind.

What does the trial being delayed or Royce shoplifting have to do with Maturi's decison-making process? Either he was going to allow Trevor to play while awaiting the case being resolved or he wasn't. Maturi knew what he needed to know to make that decision one way or the other. It shouldn't have been left to a whim based on whether Royce and the rest of Trevor's teammates behaved or not.

Either you believe Trevor when he tells you he's innocent, and are willng to let him play, you don't or simply aren't sure and don't want to let him play, or you simply stand on the principal that you won't let anyone play while facing unresolved felonly charges, no exceptions. Those should have been the 3 choices. Not wait around until the last minute and stick your finger in the wind.

Well, in August, Maturi is likely thinking the case is going to be resolved by the the time the season starts. The trial is scheduled for September. At that time, the idea that nothing would be resolved by May 2010 was NEVER in anyone's mind. In August, everyone involved in the program believed it might not even make it to the court room. So, the idea that he'd have to make some sort of proclamation in August wasn't all that important.

You earlier claimed that nothing was going to change between August and November. That just isn't true. A LOT changed. The trial got delayed twice, Royce got caught twice, Bostick got suspended, the case looked like it was going to be dropped in November and then wasn't.

Again, Trevor knew the situation. He could have tried to leave before school started. Maturi never promised him playing time. And, he was up front about the fact that Trevor might not play at all. Maturi wisely said in August - "Different decisions have to be made each step of the way. That doesn't say Trevor is going to be playing basketball for us in December. ... That will all be determined."

Maturi said on the first day of school that there was a possibility that Trevor might not play during the season. Trial delays, other transgressions in the program, public outcry, a whole lot of factors changed from August to November.

The idea that Maturi somehow pulled the rug out from under Trevor is just false. Trevor knew the situation. Is it frustrating? Sure, but Maturi isn't at fault here.

No, no. This is not about whether anyone believed Trevor or not. That is irrelevant.
I agree with Johnny. I've always maintained what he said. Innocent until proven guilty would have been a reasonable stance until Royce started racking up problems.
While I don't blame Maturi for the problems going down, there is no doubt it is all about the image of the program in his eyes. From Trevor to Williams to "not going there" to the hire of the football flim flam man, he's all about how it looks. Maturi is more concerned about the sports programs we SEEM to be having than the ones we are actually having.

You earlier claimed that nothing was going to change between August and November. That just isn't true. A LOT changed. The trial got delayed twice, Royce got caught twice, Bostick got suspended, the case looked like it was going to be dropped in November and then wasn't.

You're right, all of those things did change between August and November. But none of those things should have influenced Maturi's basic decision of whether Trevor could play IF the case was unresolved. Everything he needed to know to make that decision (the alleged charges, Trevor's side of the story, and his own feelings on whether he would ever let a player facing a felony play as a matter of principal) he knew in August. He didn't owe 'us' a public proclamation anytime before the 1st game, but I feel he did owe Trevor an answer. Again, it's possible he gave him one. But the indications are that Trevor was led to believe the opposite, that he would be allowed to play, and that Maturi let Royce's being a dumbass change that. Maturi has his positives, but he can hardly be called swift or decisive on most matters. See Monson, Dan and Mason, Glen for examples.

He didn't owe 'us' a public proclamation anytime before the 1st game, but I feel he did owe Trevor an answer. Again, it's possible he gave him one. But the indications are that Trevor was led to believe the opposite, that he would be allowed to play

Joel seemed very up front to me. He basically said in the middle of August that Trevor might not play. There was no trap door that Joel opened on Trevor. Joel always talked about trying to respect both Trevor and the victim and that as time went on, he would continue to monitor the situation. He did. As time went on, it was quite apparent that Trevor was not going to play. If Trevor didn't know this was a possibility, he wasn't paying attention. Again, I feel for Trevor. I do. Very frustrating, but blaming Maturi is very, very misguided. If anything, he gave more wiggle room than some thought. Some wanted Trevor booted. Some thought he shouldn't practice. Maturi lifted the overall suspension and allowed Trevor to practice with the team.

And, as I said earlier, if Joel had simply allowed Trevor to walk to another program and the case been dropped in November, then we'd all be saying what a bumbling idiot we have as an AD for running off a much-needed rebounding machine who was just cleared of the crime.

I got no beef with Joel and Tubby. They serve many constituents in addition to the players. Joel has been clear headed in representing the best interests of the University. He should be commended not condemned.

Thanks for the info. I did find it a little hard to believe that Trevor was supposedly extremely mature about the situation the whole time.

"Holy cow. Yeah, let's say Joel did that just as you think he should have.

Joel handled this exactly how an AD should handle it."

Bingo.

Top Bottom