Maturi Confirms Mbakwe News

Blizzard

Reaction score
University of Minnesota junior forward Trevor Mbakwe has received permission to explore transferring to another school, Gophers athletics director Joel Maturi said today.

Mbakwe, a 6-foot-8 St. Paul native, was suspended for the 2009-10 season while waiting for his case on a felony assault charge to be resolved. The trial is scheduled for June 7. But Mbakwe said he was uncertain if and when his case would be resolved and was looking at other options to play next season, according to Maturi.

"I met with him and told him we are pleased with how he handled a tough year and how well he did academically," Maturi said. "We look forward to him playing for the Gophers, but the charge against him must be resolved before he can play."

Miami Dade state attorney's office spokeswoman Terry Chavez said she doesn't expect Mbakwe's trial to be postponed again.

"I would say 80-90 percent that it will go June 7, but I can't swear to it. Another case might take priority over it," Chavez said. "The only thing that could be an 11th-hour issue would be if (the defense) comes up with something new that we don't know anything about. But I don't see that happening."

After one season at Marquette, Mbakwe played at Miami Dade College in 2008-09 before transferring back home to play for the Gophers. The former St. Bernard's and Henry Sibley High School standout was projected as a starting power forward.

Mbakwe still could play for the Gophers. But he is strongly considering transferring to Memphis, and North Carolina State apparently also is interested, according to people with knowledge of the situation. Mbakwe would have to receive a transfer exception from the NCAA to play for another Division I school next season.

Losing Mbakwe would be another significant blow to Minnesota coach Tubby Smith's program. Junior forward Paul Carter has transferred to Illinois-Chicago, and freshman point guard Justin Cobbs is back home in California looking for a school closer to home. Freshman forward Royce White left the team last season while suspended for legal issues, although the former Hopkins High School star met with Smith last month to talk about possibly returning.

That Seems Fair

Gophers can't let a player on the court with unresolved Felony charges.

He'll probably have to sit out a year at another Div I school. Unlikely NCAAwould grant a waiver based on the circumstances in his case.

Very few schools would play someone with pending Felony charges. The case must be resolved.

He'll probably have to sit out a year at another Div I school. Unlikely NCAAwould grant a waiver based on the circumstances in his case.

Very few schools would play someone with pending Felony charges. The case must be resolved.

I agree. Given that the June trial date now appears in question, and the prosecutor even mentioning the possibility of another case taking priority, I predict a 25% probability of this case being dissolved. The prosecutor is reeling right now.

If Mbakwe is innocent, I would hope the NCAA would let play next year whereever he wanted. If he is truly innocent, he has been f***cked over big time.

Not blaming Maturi- he had to suspend- but if innocent he should be able to play wherever he wants.

Something doesn't make sense. It seems likely his trial will occur in June, so why the push to transfer? Especially when he may have to sit out a year? If it were a case of the trial being delayed indefinately and Memphis telling him he can play anyway, OK. But that does not seem likely. It sure seems like this is more about a falling out with Maturi and/or Tubby then anything else.

Mbakwe is going to 30 when he gets his 4 years in. Besides Calipari (or his former asst), who would take a player who is on trial for a felony???

When do we start taking a harder look at Noreen?

Nolen is a ? Mbakwe is a ?? and White is a ??? Man, I beyond frustrated with all of this crap.

I really don't think he would be eligible to play anywhere else (i.e., Memphis or NCSU) next year - I've never seen a case where a player has been held out of games due to a pending legal matter and then the NCAA gave them a waiver to play right away somewhere else the next year. No doubt Mbakwe should not get a waiver - he'd have to sit out another year if he wanted to play elsewhere. Carter's case is completely different and far more compelling - transferring to be near an ill family member >>>> transferring because a school would not let you play due to pending felony charges. I don't care if he's innocent or not, the proper protocol at ANY school is for the student-athlete resolve their legal issues before they play.

Something doesn't make sense. It seems likely his trial will occur in June, so why the push to transfer? Especially when he may have to sit out a year? If it were a case of the trial being delayed indefinately and Memphis telling him he can play anyway, OK. But that does not seem likely. It sure seems like this is more about a falling out with Maturi and/or Tubby then anything else.

Or maybe he knows his attorney will try to push back the date again for whatever reason.

If Mbakwe and Royce are unable to play for us next year expect to see a LOT of Iverson and Ralph on the floor at the same time. The signing of Walker is turning out to be huge. Hopefully he's ready for a lot of minutes off the bench, I'm excited to see him play.

Something doesn't make sense. It seems likely his trial will occur in June, so why the push to transfer?

Divine providence man. It seems like Trevor's transfers have been fraught with disaster at every turn.

There's no stopping it. Trevor is going to keep on making bad decisions until he learns not to make them anymore.

How unfortunate is it that Trevor isn't able to see this?

Hammer/Work/Mbakwe. Don't get between them.

Stay put Trev.

This makes perfect sense. If his trial is delayed there is not chance he stays at Minnestoa, he can't afford to. He doesn't have another year to waste. He would be using up a year of eligibility. If he transfers he can sit out the year and still have two left.

This makes perfect sense. If his trial is delayed there is not chance he stays at Minnestoa, he can't afford to. He doesn't have another year to waste. He would be using up a year of eligibility. If he transfers he can sit out the year and still have two left.

He would not use another year of eligibility sitting out at Minnesota any more than he would sitting out elsewhere. He's played 2 seasons - frosh at Marquette and soph at JuCo. He has 2 years left.

He would not use another year of eligibility sitting out at Minnesota any more than he would sitting out elsewhere. He's played 2 seasons - frosh at Marquette and soph at JuCo. He has 2 years left.

I still don't get why he's worried about another delay. The season doesn't start until late November, or January 2011 for Big Ten games. If he can't get a trial in another 6 months it's hopeless.

Back to the old argument. This country's legal system says a person is innocent until proven guilty. That is a basic fundamental principle of our Constitution. Therefore, why should the University not allow Mbakwe play until after his trial? Isn't he innocent until the Court says otherwise?

I think this is a bad decision by Maturi and for the University. This demonstrates that the University is unwilling to support and stand by its players.

No he won't have two years left. He has two years left RIGHT NOW.

He can either stay in MN, roll the dice, and play two years if he is acquitted.

Or, he can transfer, sit out a year, and have one year left to play. He's already used the redshirt. He doesn't get another one, so the transfer year is a wasted year - it counts against his eligibility.

The ONLY way he can play TWO YEARS is to stay at MN and play; or to transfer to a D-II school and not sit out.

Basically, you get five years to play four.

That is why it makes NO SENSE to transfer. Assuming he is acquitted, he would not play a full season of D-I hoops until his FIFTH YEAR of eligibility. If he transfers, here's his career:

Year One - played sparingly late for Marquette
Year Two - played JUCO ball in Florida
Year Three - sat out due to legal issues (redshirt)
Year Four - sit out due to transfer
Year Five - finally play

If he stays, here's his career:

Year One - played sparingly late for Marquette
Year Two - played JUCO ball in Florida
Year Three - sat out due to legal issues (redshirt)
Year Four - play for Gophers
Year Five - play for Gophers

Back to the old argument. This country's legal system says a person is innocent until proven guilty. That is a basic fundamental principle of our Constitution. Therefore, why should the University not allow Mbakwe play until after his trial? Isn't he innocent until the Court says otherwise?

I think that's a flawed argument. Trevor's guilt or innocence isn't being decided by the U. That he's being charged and the resulting consequences are the issue.

Totally agree. There is no advantage to Mbakwe transferring, in my mind.

I think this is a bad decision by Maturi and for the University. This demonstrates that the University is unwilling to support and stand by its players.

No reputable university would allow a player with pending Felony charges to play. Not even Bob Huggins allows that - he suspends players who are charged with felony until case is resolved.

Mbakwe...like many D1 Players..........

probably cares very little how much eligibility he has left, but much more about how quickly can he begin making money playing the game.

I really don't think he cares much where he plays. (see past record)

He wants to put his talent on display for ONE season, then figure out a way to go get paid somewhere.

University of Minnesota junior forward Trevor Mbakwe has received permission to explore transferring to another school, Gophers athletics director Joel Maturi said today.

Mbakwe, a 6-foot-8 St. Paul native, was suspended for the 2009-10 season while waiting for his case on a felony assault charge to be resolved. The trial is scheduled for June 7. But Mbakwe said he was uncertain if and when his case would be resolved and was looking at other options to play next season, according to Maturi.

"I met with him and told him we are pleased with how he handled a tough year and how well he did academically," Maturi said. "We look forward to him playing for the Gophers, but the charge against him must be resolved before he can play."

Miami Dade state attorney's office spokeswoman Terry Chavez said she doesn't expect Mbakwe's trial to be postponed again.

"I would say 80-90 percent that it will go June 7, but I can't swear to it. Another case might take priority over it," Chavez said. "The only thing that could be an 11th-hour issue would be if (the defense) comes up with something new that we don't know anything about. But I don't see that happening."

After one season at Marquette, Mbakwe played at Miami Dade College in 2008-09 before transferring back home to play for the Gophers. The former St. Bernard's and Henry Sibley High School standout was projected as a starting power forward.

Mbakwe still could play for the Gophers. But he is strongly considering transferring to Memphis, and North Carolina State apparently also is interested, according to people with knowledge of the situation. Mbakwe would have to receive a transfer exception from the NCAA to play for another Division I school next season.

Losing Mbakwe would be another significant blow to Minnesota coach Tubby Smith's program. Junior forward Paul Carter has transferred to Illinois-Chicago, and freshman point guard Justin Cobbs is back home in California looking for a school closer to home. Freshman forward Royce White left the team last season while suspended for legal issues, although the former Hopkins High School star met with Smith last month to talk about possibly returning.

Unless you are Marcus Fuller shouldn't you say who the story is by or provide a link?

I'm not sure I've seen that a transfer would be approved only if the head coach approves or is approving of the school an athlete transfers to?

As Marcus tweeted-

Maturi said Mbakwe is granted a release from scholarship if he transfers to a school acceptable to Tubby. Same thing done with Justin Cobbs.

Unless you are Marcus Fuller shouldn't you say who the story is by or provide a link?

I must have been distraught upon reading the news and in my haste to post it forgot.

Yes, this article if from Marcus Fuller of the Pioneer Press.

Totally agree. There is no advantage to Mbakwe transferring, in my mind.

You are absolutely right. The five year rule applies. He has two years left maximum. If he transfers he is down to one.

You are absolutely right. The five year rule applies. He has two years left maximum. If he transfers he is down to one.

Maybe Mbakwe thinks he is putting pressure on Joel to reinstate him or something? I think it is naive of him to think Joel would reinstate him before the trial is finished if it is delayed again...especially because it has been the defense that has been delaying the trial thus far.

Evan Eschmeyer took 6 years to play 4 seasons at Northwestern. Exceptions to 5 year rule are granted by NCAA.

Evan Eschmeyer took 6 years to play 4 seasons at Northwestern. Exceptions to 5 year rule are granted by NCAA.

True. Minnesota's Adam Boone was such a case.

Doubtful that Trevor would be granted a waiver for a sixth year, though.

True. Minnesota's Adam Boone was such a case.

Doubtful that Trevor would be granted a waiver for a sixth year, though.

If he ends up being found not guilty, he has a pretty decent argument for a waiver to play 2 more years.

probably cares very little how much eligibility he has left, but much more about how quickly can he begin making money playing the game.

I really don't think he cares much where he plays. (see past record)

He wants to put his talent on display for ONE season, then figure out a way to go get paid somewhere.

Even if that's the case, his best option is to still stay a Gopher. Being a Gopher is the ONLY way he can put his talent on display in 2010-11. In his case, the sooner he puts his talent on display, the better. He's getting old.

If he ends up being found not guilty, he has a pretty decent argument for a waiver to play 2 more years.

Doubtful.

If he is found not guilty HE CAN play two more years at Minnesota. He has two years left. Simple as that. If he transfers, he decides to forgo that extra year of court time because he knows he has to sit out.

I was trying to figure that out as well. Something tells me those odds of the trial actually taking place then aren't accurate.

I'm not the biggest Maturi fan, but I think he's done the right thing in not letting Trevor play until this matter has been cleared. These are very serious charges and the argument that someone is innocent until proven guilty should be left for the court system. I might think differently if Trevor was "just" a suspect, but he has been charged for this felony. That being said, I'm going to feel sorry for him if this is proven to be a case of mistaken identity and the wheels of justice do his basketball career an injustice. I'm hoping that this is just a case of a frustrated young man exploring his options. By all accounts, he was a good teammate last year, even though he didn't play. As I watched him on the bench at the home games, he appeared to be genuinely involved in the games and happy for his teammates when they did well. Also, according to Maturi, he did OK academically. Sounds to me like Trevor feels powerless in this whole matter and wants desperately to get back on the court. Transferring to another school won't accomplish anything. Hopefully, he'll decide to stay here.

Top Bottom