Bad news coming from Myron...

GopherLady

Reaction score
Per his Twitter:

GophersBBGuy: Hate to spoil your Monday night, Gophers men's basketball fans. Stay tuned.

So, what's everyone's guess? I'm assuming news about a Cobbs departure won't ruin too many nights - but I'm guessing bad news about Trevor's trial would. Or Royce not coming back.

What do you all think?

Don't think it is about Cobbs as Myron has been saying all along that he is transferring. Probably to do with Royce or Trevor.

If Royce signs with Iowa, I will be pretty upset.

I would doubt it has anything to do with Trevor's trial. I'm not sure what new developments about his legal situation would be considered bad at this point, unless he was just given a secret trial and found guilty.

I would doubt it has anything to do with Trevor's trial. I'm not sure what new developments about his legal situation would be considered bad at this point, unless he was just given a secret trial and found guilty.

Haha - a super secret trial, like a secret boyfriend or girlfriend no one can know about? ;)

Another tweet from Myron:

"Not trying to tease. Wrapping up the story for print. Then, I'll blog about it. If it happens, it will be another blow for Gophs"

Go Gophers!!

My guess is that it has something to do with Devoe and his cast, but I haven't read the board since last night so maybe I've missed something.

Rodney's grades? He was the 'other' player with incomplete/ grade issues last semester right?

My guess is that it has something to do with Devoe and his cast, but I haven't read the board since last night so maybe I've missed something.

That's a good guess.

I was thinking about the worst possible loss we could have...and I think it's Nolen. I feel like we have back-ups in every position, but PG. Without getting Cory - that only leaves one guy on the entire team that can play PG (if Cobbs is a goner)...and we cannot play the season with Devoe playing 40 minutes a game handling the ball. Okay, I'm going to give myself an ulcer worrying about what could happen...need to stop and just wait for the news.

The only thing Myron's working on in tomorrow's paper so far is Tubby's trial. I doubt the news has to do with that, but anything's possible I guess. Never underestimate Myron's ability to over-dramatize or just be flat-out wrong.

That's a good guess.

I was thinking about the worst possible loss we could have...and I think it's Nolen. I feel like we have back-ups in every position, but PG. Without getting Cory - that only leaves one guy on the entire team that can play PG (if Cobbs is a goner)...and we cannot play the season with Devoe playing 40 minutes a game handling the ball. Okay, I'm going to give myself an ulcer worrying about what could happen...need to stop and just wait for the news.

The Devoe/cast guess may not make sense due to Myron's "if it happens" - meaning if Devoe's hurt he's hurt. But the "if" leads me to believe it's an "if" XYZ transfers or "if" XYZ doesn't qualify academically. I hope I'm wrong.

Go Gophers!!

The Devoe/cast guess may not make sense due to Myron's "if it happens" - meaning if Devoe's hurt he's hurt. But the "if" leads me to believe it's an "if" XYZ transfers or "if" XYZ doesn't qualify academically. I hope I'm wrong.

Go Gophers!!

Good point. Your scenarios are probably more likely then.

I hate this kind of crap - spit it out Myron or don't mention it until you are ready.

Whatever happens - happens

It's Trevor per Myron's tweet:

Trevor Mbakwe is expected to seek his release from his scholarship in the coming days, consider transfer, after Sunday meeting with Tubby.

It's Trevor per Myron's tweet:

Trevor Mbakwe is expected to seek his release from his scholarship in the coming days, consider transfer, after Sunday meeting with Tubby.

Can't miss what we never had.

Thank goodness it's not bad news on Devoe.

So let's see if I get this all correct on the Trevor Timeline

HS Jr.: Henry Sibley (school 1)
HS Sr: Is going to enroll at a school in the Atlanta area (school 2); Ends up playing at St. Bernards (school 3)
College yr 1: Plays at Marquette (school 4)
College yr 2: Transfers to Miami-Dade CC (school 5)
College yr 3: Transfers to Minnesota (school 6)
College yr 4: Considering a transfer to another unnamed college (school 7)

Lovely.

What else can go wrong? I'd love to see a thread titled "good news coming for Gopher fans". 2009-2010 looked like the year Gopher Basketball would get back on the map after the disaster that was Dan Monson. Instead, almost everything that could go wrong has gone wrong. We really, really need Royce White now.

What else can go wrong? I'd love to see a thread titled "good news coming for Gopher fans". 2009-2010 looked like the year Gopher Basketball would get back on the map after the disaster that was Dan Monson. Instead, almost everything that could go wrong has gone wrong. We really, really need Royce White now.

From Myron's latest tweet it sounds like Ol' Dithering Joel Maturi had something to do with Trevor's decision. I'm hardly shocked. And as long as he's the AD, the chances of Royce coming back are not good.

I'm starting to think both football and basketball will be stuck in the abyss until Dithering Joel does us all a favor and rides of into the sunset with his swimming trophies and lets us get a real AD again. Sadly, that probably won't happen until the new president is installed. Ugh. Go Twins I guess.

Follow up tweets from Myron:

"My sources say Mbakwe had meeting with Maturi last month. Maturi told him he'd make the same decision if he had to do it all over again."

"Sources say Mbakwe worries that trial will get delayed again and believes Maturi will keep him out again."

"I will say, however, that this is not a done deal, based on what I've been told."

"He says Tubby is supportive. Understands his situation and wants him to have a chance to play."

"Again, I trust my sources, but there's always time to change one's mind in a situation like this."

Go Gophers!!

Seriously. If not for that great big10 tournament run, it was like one bad news item after another. We went from trying to spread minutes around at the forward position to relying on spring freshman recruits for depth. Here's to Rodney's offseason development. We'll also see a lot of Ralph and Colt together.

Such a strage situation. Howeda7, I am no fan of Joel Maturi (zero success in football or basketball over 8 years and he's still employed?), but I didn't blame him for holding Trevor out with this trial hanging over his head. That said, my opinion would change on that if another high major school allows Trevor to play...I just don't se that happening.

O man, I was just saying to my self "what a slow night on Gopherhole." This really sucks!

Such a strage situation. Howeda7, I am no fan of Joel Maturi (zero success in football or basketball over 8 years and he's still employed?), but I didn't blame him for holding Trevor out with this trial hanging over his head. That said, my opinion would change on that if another high major school allows Trevor to play...I just don't se that happening.

We don't know the particulars. We do know Trevor met with him last month and now wants out. The point is an AD with a clue might be able to reassure the kid and make him feel better. Maturi? Clearly not. Obviously, it's not realistic to think that if Trevor's trial was somehow STILL delayed that he would do a complete 180. But at some point, you side with your player and stand up to the slow wheels of justice, whether they be the UMPD, or the Miami-Dade DA. Dithering Joel would never do either, any more then he would protest his team getting the worst draw in the ACC challenge, or another school coming after his coach. No matter the circumstances, his stock response is 'aw shucks there's nothing little ol me could do.'

So let's see if I get this all correct on the Trevor Timeline

HS Jr.: Henry Sibley (school 1)
HS Sr: Is going to enroll at a school in the Atlanta area (school 2); Ends up playing at St. Bernards (school 3)
College yr 1: Plays at Marquette (school 4)
College yr 2: Transfers to Miami-Dade CC (school 5)
College yr 3: Transfers to Minnesota (school 6)
College yr 4: Considering a transfer to another unnamed college (school 7)

Lovely.

This kid is a major flake . The grass isn't always greener Forest, but keep on running.

At what point does Tubby get fed up with Maturi and go over his head to Bruininks and say choose, me or Maturi?

Top Bottom