Would Tubby Leave the U early?

GoBigGold

Reaction score
Maybe I misssed this discussed on another thread, but how come Brewster wins 7 games and the hatter is all over him being approached with offers. Tubby who has done as good of job and probably even more impressive recruiting is never discussed re; leaving the gophs for another coaching job.

Maybe I misssed this discussed on another thread, but how come Brewster wins 7 games and the hatter is all over him being approached with offers. Tubby who has done as good of job and probably even more impressive recruiting is never discussed re; leaving the gophs for another coaching job.

At Kentucky if he had a team that made the Sweet 16 and then lost - he's a goat. Here if he makes the Sweet 16 we'll have a parade in his honor. Right now he has the players in place and more coming in that will make him a hero in this town for the next 5 years barring a disaster.
I have to believe this is exactly the scenario he hoped for when he left Kentucky and it seems doubtful that Arizona or somebody else could lure him back into the situation he left. He has a chance to leave behind a legacy here.

The only reason I see Tubby leaving

is if he does not get a practice facility. This is a huge liability in recruiting. I know Iowa State announced recently that they are constructing one. Nearly every school in the Big Ten has one if I remember correctly, except us.

Actually, I believe that this is how we will get one. Tubby will make it clear that he can't stay here without the tools to compete and it will get done.

is if he does not get a practice facility. This is a huge liability in recruiting. I know Iowa State announced recently that they are constructing one. Nearly every school in the Big Ten has one if I remember correctly, except us.

Actually, I believe that this is how we will get one. Tubby will make it clear that he can't stay here without the tools to compete and it will get done.

I believe Maturi has said that a basketball practice facility will be built after the new baseball stadium is finished. And recent rumors suggest that they are already in the planning stages.

The results so far...

This is a huge liability in recruiting.

I'm sure that having a practice facility would be good for recruiting, but so far Tubby has been able to bring in two VERY good classes without one. So, I wonder exactly how much it matters. Certainly it would be logistically useful as there are more spaces to be used and it makes scheduling practices easier.

I don't know the answers, but just looking at the results, it doesn't look like an do or die problem. That being said, I hope they get one built if Tubby wants one...

Does anyone know what other team will use the new football stadium besides the football team? Surprised that the University would build a separate baseball facility--whatever happened to "multiple-use" facilities?

Multi-purpose stadiums were killed by greed. Athletes are sold the idea of exclusivity and that is demonstarted at the collegiate level by players having their own stuff/place. If you don't build one other programs will point out the lack of facilities as a lack of commitment. all marketing and keeping up with the joneses.

Minnesota does have a "multiple-use facility" it'c called the Metrodome and it sucks.

Sorry that was just to easy.

The problem with multipurpose facitilites is that they don't seem to serve anyone's purpose well.

I disagree that no one is discussing Tubby leaving, there have been lots of posters who were worried about Tubby leaving. I doubt this will happen, he's in a program with a lot of potential, and he can retire from here as a legend - there will be a building with his name on it here sooner or later.

I'm sure that having a practice facility would be good for recruiting, but so far Tubby has been able to bring in two VERY good classes without one. So, I wonder exactly how much it matters. Certainly it would be logistically useful as there are more spaces to be used and it makes scheduling practices easier.

I don't know the answers, but just looking at the results, it doesn't look like an do or die problem. That being said, I hope they get one built if Tubby wants one...

Yes he has brought in some good kids without it and even a player like R. White. With that being said I'm pretty sure Tubby does want to be here long term and that means getting 4 and 5* kids all across the country and multiple ones here and there to be a championship team i.e. the Mich St game. Competing for these type of kids he knows he will need this and I say we give him whatever he needs.

I'm sick of Minnesota being the coaches revolving door and we sure seem to have an answer for Gopher b-ball unlike, Vikings, Wolves, and possibly gopher football. In Tubby I trust.

At Kentucky if he had a team that made the Sweet 16 and then lost - he's a goat. Here if he makes the Sweet 16 we'll have a parade in his honor. Right now he has the players in place and more coming in that will make him a hero in this town for the next 5 years barring a disaster.
I have to believe this is exactly the scenario he hoped for when he left Kentucky and it seems doubtful that Arizona or somebody else could lure him back into the situation he left. He has a chance to leave behind a legacy here.

Actually he made 6 Sweet 16, 4 Elite 8, 1 FF, and won 1 NC in 10 years at UK.

All-time, UK averages 6 Sweet 16, 5 Elite 8, 2 FF, and 1 NC per decade (1939 through 2008).

Tubby will retire at Minnesota in 7 years. He turns 65 in 2016.

Tubby will retire at Minnesota in 7 years. He turns 65 in 2016.

FOT,

Lots of coaches go well beyond age 65. Assuming he's still successful (I don't really have any doubt of that) and having fun, how do we convince him to stay beyond 65? Hard to create a big legacy in 7 years...

I could see Tubby building the program up and eventually retiring and turning it over to his son Saul.......does that sound feasible?

I may be misreading this a bit, but I think the fact that he brought Saul onboard with him here doesn't suggest a departure. I realize that he could take Saul with him if he took another job, but I've always been of the opinion that anytime you bring in your son to help coach, it indicates a certain desire to put down some family roots in a certain location.

Again, I could be wrong. But the fact that people have remarked how happy Donna and Tubby are here along with having his son on the staff doesn't suggest he'll be shopping around. But then again, what do I know?!;)

Forget the practice facility as a possible reason for early departure - I just hope Tubby and Donna don't mind the Minnesota weather. Has he gone ice fishing yet? That would indicate that he has acclimated.

I got up this morning and it was 13 below. Just now my car said it was 17 below.

FOT,

Lots of coaches go well beyond age 65. Assuming he's still successful (I don't really have any doubt of that) and having fun, how do we convince him to stay beyond 65? Hard to create a big legacy in 7 years...

He may stay longer, who knows? But I think he'll retire at 65 like many of us (born in 1951) hope to do.

Forget the practice facility as a possible reason for early departure - I just hope Tubby and Donna don't mind the Minnesota weather. Has he gone ice fishing yet? That would indicate that he has acclimated.

I got up this morning and it was 13 below. Just now my car said it was 17 below.

I don't actually think Tubby is much of a fisherman. But ice fishing would be a special experience.

I don't actually think Tubby is much of a fisherman. But ice fishing would be a special experience.

There's nothing more exhilarating than driving your car on a frozen lake and hearing the ice crack underneath your wheels as you open a window just in case.

Other then the barn and lack of practice facilities, Tubby seems both happy and is being successful! That may be enough for him to stay and eventually retire.

Given his experience and the accomplishments he already has, given fair treatment, that may very well be enough to cause him to stay and not look around. Right now, he can and in many ways is accomplishing what is "supposedly" lacking, proof he really is a top notch coach.

Build the practice facility

Only Tubby (and his family) know the answer to that question. We have no way of knowing whether another job offer such as Arizona would be too good for him to pass up. Until that time comes, if it comes, I'm going to enjoy Tubby being the face of the Gopher program, and the U as a whole. Tubby's not a slickster who uses a lot of cute, daffy phrases. I think people like that.

In the meantime, I think it would be wise for the U to give Tubby assurances that a practice facility will be built. If building a practice facility is something we need to "encourage" Tubby to stick around for awhile, get it done, somehow. When you hire a top-shelf coach, and you want to keep him, it's probably not wise to ignore him if he's (very publicly) asking for something. It's just the way it is now in big-time sports. Tubby's holding up his end of the bargain. All we need to do is look at the results on the court, the fannies in the seats and the increasing interest/"buzz" surrounding the program.

SS...you summed everything up beautifully.

"Tubby's holding up his end of the bargain. All we need to do is look at the results on the court, the fannies in the seats and the increasing interest/"buzz" surrounding the program".

Add to that noise of the fannies in the seats....The Barnyard is absolutely hyper!!!!!!!!!! Gotta Love It.... Go Gophers.

I may be misreading this a bit, but I think the fact that he brought Saul onboard with him here doesn't suggest a departure. I realize that he could take Saul with him if he took another job, but I've always been of the opinion that anytime you bring in your son to help coach, it indicates a certain desire to put down some family roots in a certain location.

Again, I could be wrong. But the fact that people have remarked how happy Donna and Tubby are here along with having his son on the staff doesn't suggest he'll be shopping around. But then again, what do I know?!;)

Not trying to disagree, but I suspect when a coach is hired, that is where they do their best to make the program work that day. If a better opportunity comes, then they address it. Don't think Tubby bringing his son says anything other then he trusts his son's abilities as a coach!

I believe I saw Tubby on a fishing show recently, Kent Hrbek's if I remember right, and it said how much he loved fishing as a kid. He looked like he'd done it a time or two :)

I believe I saw Tubby on a fishing show recently, Kent Hrbek's if I remember right, and it said how much he loved fishing as a kid. He looked like he'd done it a time or two :)

I was at a Gopher function not long after he got the job here, where he told the crowd he looked forward to being able to fish here. Told a story about catching a 300 pound Marlin in the ocean and also how he flew up to International Falls on a fishing trip years ago.

I was at a Gopher function not long after he got the job here, where he told the crowd he looked forward to being able to fish here. Told a story about catching a 300 pound Marlin in the ocean and also how he flew up to International Falls on a fishing trip years ago.

Never fished in Kentucky. Not in Australia either. Played lots of golf there (Sydney 2000).

I'll ask him this weekend about the marlin. I have caught 586, 531, and 490 lb Marlin in Hawaii so I have that interest as well.

Top Bottom