Updated Grades...

These are all good young men who bring character to the program. It will be fun to watch them exceed expectations.

With all due respect, ranking are a chicken-egg scenario. If you commit to a good school your points go up. Thus these guys get a bump by virtue of signing with the Gophers. It would be interesting to know what the lowest ranking BCS player had for a ranking.

It would also be interesting if you had scouts ranking but not paying any attention to school choice. Not sure how you do that though.

With all due respect, ranking are a chicken-egg scenario. If you commit to a good school your points go up. Thus these guys get a bump by virtue of signing with the Gophers. It would be interesting to know what the lowest ranking BCS player had for a ranking.

It would also be interesting if you had scouts ranking but not paying any attention to school choice. Not sure how you do that though.

Few (if any) "scouts" saw either Oto or Maverick play this winter. Point values are meaningless.

I like the fact that Minnesota signed 3 Prep school recruits this spring. Each has an extra year of experience over HS recruits.

FOT - Serious question

Is there a correlation between "Prep School" attendees and academic success or challenges?

Is there a correlation between "Prep School" attendees and academic success or challenges?

Maybe in high school, but maverick averaged a 3.5 and i bet the others were over 3.0 so i think they are good in school.

Few (if any) "scouts" saw either Oto or Maverick play this winter. Point values are meaningless.

I like the fact that Minnesota signed 3 Prep school recruits this spring. Each has an extra year of experience over HS recruits.[/QUOTE]

Is that the case with Maurice Walker? I was of the understanding that "Prep School" didn't always mean in between high school and college. I thought the school Walker was attending was like a high school.

For instance, Cory attended Findlay and then is going on to Texas, no extra year involved. Maverick attended a Prep school and there was an extra year involved, obviously. I didn't know this about Maurice Walker at all. I thought he was doing the "Cory" route as opposed to the "Maverick" route.

Some of you guys are too damn funny. One day, you complain about the little national recognition that Gopher recruits get. You complain that good players don't come to Minnesota. You complain about the stars. Today, these Minnesota recruits get good grades. You give the credit to the school not the players. I am very confused!!! Is this the right way to welcome these kids to the campus???

Go Gophers

Some of you guys are too damn funny. One day, you complain about the little national recognition that Gopher recruits get. You complain that good players don't come to Minnesota. You complain about the stars. Today, these Minnesota recruits get good grades. You give the credit to the school not the players. I am very confused!!! Is this the right way to welcome these kids to the campus???

Go Gophers

Speaking only for myself, the grades or stars are not nearly as important to me as who else offered a recruit. Did the Gophers compete with Georgetown for a kid or Seton Hall? Tennessee or Georgia? etc. The types of programs we recruit against says a lot about where the Gophers are where they likely will be in the future.

On a side note, I wouldn't say any of the Gopher recruits that go re-evaluated (allegedly) by ESPN got good grades on their scale.

I like the fact that Minnesota signed 3 Prep school recruits this spring. Each has an extra year of experience over HS recruits.[/QUOTE]

Is that the case with Maurice Walker? I was of the understanding that "Prep School" didn't always mean in between high school and college. I thought the school Walker was attending was like a high school.

Walker graduated from Mother Teresa HS in 2009 and went to Brewster Academy (prep school) in NH in 2010.

For instance, Cory attended Findlay and then is going on to Texas, no extra year involved. Maverick attended a Prep school and there was an extra year involved, obviously. I didn't know this about Maurice Walker at all. I thought he was doing the "Cory" route as opposed to the "Maverick" route.

Nope. Graduated from Mother Teresa HS in 2009. Attended Brewster Academy (prep) in 2010.

Findlay is a HS that won't take 5th year students. Same thing at Oak Hill in VA.

Top Bottom