Minnesota 23rd in attendance for 09-10

howeda7

Reaction score
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect...ERES&CACHEID=8753820042742b01b8b6be967b4a3893

Looks like the Gophers average was about 1,000 short of capacity. But 23rd in the nation isn't bad. It's remarkable that it's only good for 7th in the Big 10. The Big 10 leads the nation in average attendance for the 20-something year in a row, despite having only 1 school in the top 10.

On another note, Northern State led Division II for the 3rd year in a row. :clap:.

I did some quick number chunching(using Wikipedia) and this is what I came up with in terms of percent, which I feel is a better indicator of overall support. First the Big 10
1. Wisconsin-100%(For some reason I doub this number is right but that's what I came up with
2. Purdue-96.87%
3. Minnesota-93.94%
4. MSU-90.66%
5. Ill-89.48%
6. IU-87.63%
7. UM-85.27%
8. OSU-72.72%
9. NW-62.70%
10. Iowa-61.61%
11. PSU-53.40%

Now the big 6 conferences
1. B10-82.36%
2. B12-82.24
3. ACC-81.73
4. SEC-78.91
5. P10-72.59%
6. BE-65.30%

Gee ESPN for having the greatest basketball known to man the Big East really packs'em in.

I did some quick number chunching(using Wikipedia) and this is what I came up with in terms of percent, which I feel is a better indicator of overall support.

I think the best indicator would be average gate receipts. If KY's tix are $5 each (not saying they are) and ours are $32, then who has better support?

I think the best indicator would be average gate receipts. If KY's tix are $5 each (not saying they are) and ours are $32, then who has better support?

Whoever gets the most people wins.

Gee ESPN for having the greatest basketball known to man the Big East really packs'em in.

While I agree that the Big East is overrated, a lot of their schools play in massive arenas, which skews your % capacity numbers.

Syracuse plays in a football stadium.
DePaul plays in a massive off campus arena more geared to hosting large concerts and events.
Georgetown, Marquette, St. John's, Seton Hall and Villanova all play in NBA arenas.

I think you can safely argue that the Big East's attendance figures are on par with the rest of the country and the 65% of capacity figures is a result of larger facilities.

I can't believe Winona State didn't make the list for Division II. (unless I'm not seeing it)

I did some quick number chunching(using Wikipedia) and this is what I came up with in terms of percent, which I feel is a better indicator of overall support.

One good thing about a Big Ten expansion would be hearing less whining about how the BEast is so ridiculously large.

I think your numbers are probably off significantly.. but, one of the problems with using a percent of capacity is that 'capacity' is determined with discretion. Per Rupp Arena's site, they have a capacity of 23,000... per your source (i.e., Wikipedia), it's 23,500.. yet they average 24,111.

Can you give us the figures you used in your Big East calculation for Villanova as an example? i.e., the numerator (from the NCAA site, I assume?) and the denominator used in calculating your 65.3% Big East capacity...

I can't believe Winona State didn't make the list for Division II. (unless I'm not seeing it)

Maybe Northern State can't beat them on the court, but they can at least beat them at the gate I guess. :)

I did some quick number chunching(using Wikipedia) and this is what I came up with in terms of percent, which I feel is a better indicator of overall support. First the Big 10
1. Wisconsin-100%(For some reason I doub this number is right but that's what I came up with
2. Purdue-96.87%
3. Minnesota-93.94%
4. MSU-90.66%
5. Ill-89.48%
6. IU-87.63%
7. UM-85.27%
8. OSU-72.72%
9. NW-62.70%
10. Iowa-61.61%
11. PSU-53.40%

Now the big 6 conferences
1. B10-82.36%
2. B12-82.24
3. ACC-81.73
4. SEC-78.91
5. P10-72.59%
6. BE-65.30%

At 94% of capacity there is very little incentive for Maturi and Smith to schedule a real opponent. They offer minimal guarantees to minimal schools, charge their loyal fans maximum prices and make a killing. Those of us who have been paying the freight for a long time deserve a better schedule.

NateDawg is right here, multiple Big East teams play in large NBA arenas and they don't draw well so it does skew the stats. So those should be taken with a grain of salt. I personally couldn't resist an easy chance to take a shot at the BE.

Gopher Warrior for the top I just used the NCAA stats. The bottom I averaged the Wikipedia capacity numbers. With that said I could have easily made an addition mistake. I know Wikipedia isn't the greatest source but it is the easiest and quickest source.

Both of you have great points and questions.

I was surprised to see Creighton, BYU, UNLV, and New Mexico that high. Then again, I've watched them all a grand total of 0 times at home...

UK plays a few (1 or 2) schools like that but MOSTLY low major or mid major opponents at home.

One or two would be infinitely more than we play. Brewster, for all of his nonsense and incompetence, has scheduled real games. Tubby has no excuse.

I was surprised to see Creighton, BYU, UNLV, and New Mexico that high. Then again, I've watched them all a grand total of 0 times at home...

Omaha built a beautiful new arena 5 or 6 years ago and Creighton moved in. They were pretty good at the time. Also they serve beer at the games, believe me it does make a difference. On a side note, Creighton will also get to play their home baseball games in the new stadium that Omaha is building for the College World Series. It holds well over 20,000, the Blue Jays will have a tough time getting over 1000 at those games.

One or two would be infinitely more than we play. Brewster, for all of his nonsense and incompetence, has scheduled real games. Tubby has no excuse.

Check www.kenpom.com for overall SOS and specifically OOC games.

You'll be surprised (no doubt) that Minnesota played a slightly tougher SOS overall and OOC schedule than Kentucky did in 2010 season.

While I agree that the Big East is overrated, a lot of their schools play in massive arenas, which skews your % capacity numbers.

Syracuse plays in a football stadium.
DePaul plays in a massive off campus arena more geared to hosting large concerts and events.
Georgetown, Marquette, St. John's, Seton Hall and Villanova all play in NBA arenas.

I think you can safely argue that the Big East's attendance figures are on par with the rest of the country and the 65% of capacity figures is a result of larger facilities.

Marquette plays at its own venue on campus. I believe its the al mcguire center. That might not be his name, I'm drawing a blank right now but anyways its a nice facility in the heart of milwaukee.

You'll be surprised (no doubt) that Minnesota played a slightly tougher SOS overall and OOC schedule than Kentucky did in 2010 season.

Date Opponent Result Location Record Conf
Fri Nov 13 (96) Morehead St. W, 75-59 73 Home 1-0
Mon Nov 16 (140) Miami OH W, 72-70 63 Home 2-0
Thu Nov 19 (101) Sam Houston St. W, 102-92 83 Home 3-0
Sat Nov 21 (184) Rider W, 92-63 76 Home 4-0
Tue Nov 24 (149) Cleveland St. W, 73-49 70 Neutral 5-0
Wed Nov 25 (103) Stanford W, 73-65 65 OT Neutral 6-0
Mon Nov 30 (296) NC Asheville W, 94-57 70 Semi-Home 7-0
Sat Dec 5 (60) North Carolina W, 68-66 74 Home 8-0
Wed Dec 9 (56) Connecticut W, 64-61 69 Neutral 9-0
Sat Dec 12 (183) Indiana W, 90-73 68 Away 10-0
Sat Dec 19 (203) Austin Peay W, 90-69 68 Home 11-0
Mon Dec 21 (147) Drexel W, 88-44 67 Home 12-0
Wed Dec 23 (151) Long Beach St. W, 86-73 74 Home 13-0
Tue Dec 29 (311) Hartford W, 104-61 69 Home 14-0
Sat Jan 2 (43) Louisville W, 71-62 75 Home 15-0
You're correct, although amongst the bunch in OOC, three are dandies. NC, UCONN and Louisville.

I knew that Creighton has had some pretty solid teams but I was surprised to see them getting that many people at games. That makes sense though since they also recently built a nice stadium. Thanks for the info.

Omaha built a beautiful new arena 5 or 6 years ago and Creighton moved in. They were pretty good at the time. Also they serve beer at the games, believe me it does make a difference. On a side note, Creighton will also get to play their home baseball games in the new stadium that Omaha is building for the College World Series. It holds well over 20,000, the Blue Jays will have a tough time getting over 1000 at those games.

I agree that the schedule is getting a little ridiculous. With that said though, I'd take a better team that plays weaker opponents. I think the bball program is in much better shape. It's nice that Brewster has USC and Texas coming (people forget Cal wasn't him), but from what I know (not much about the football program), the rest of the opponents are pretty awful. Although that's how it is for most schools so he's done a fairly good job with the schedule, just not the results.

Whoever gets the most people wins.

Forbes and most university presidents and athletic directors disagree. Isn't it proven over-and-over that $$$ are king in NCAA basketball?

<b>Most Valuable NCAA Basketball teams in order of "Value"</b> (however Forbes defines that - not the same as "profit" - link below):

1. North Carolina (ACC - $17.7 million profit)
2. Kentucky (SEC - guess they aren't just giving their tickets away)
3. Louisville ($16.9 Big East)
4. Kansas (Big 12)
5. Illinois ($13.9 Big Ten)
6. Indiana ($14.2 Big Ten)
7. Ohio State ($11.4 Big Ten)
8. Syracuse (Big East)
9. UCLA (Pac 10)
10. Arizona (Pac 10)
11. Duke (ACC)
12. Wisconsin ($10.1 Big Ten)
13. Maryland (ACC)
14. Arkansas (SEC)
15. Xavier (A 10)
16. Tennessee (SEC)
<b>17. Minnesota ($8.9 Big Ten)</b>
18. Pittsburgh (Big East)
19. Michigan State (Big Ten)
20. UNLV ($8.3 Mountain West)

Hover over the team name in the slide show in the article from the link below to get the stats.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/03/16/mo...teams-business-sports-college-basketball.html

I'm not a president of a University and neither are the people I'm talking about basketball with. In terms of fan competition quantity is greater than quality when it comes to attendance.

Marquette plays at its own venue on campus. I believe its the al mcguire center. That might not be his name, I'm drawing a blank right now but anyways its a nice facility in the heart of milwaukee.

Sorry cjcarter, that's just wrong information. Al McGuire Center is where girls bball and volleyball play. The men play at the Bradley Center which is where the Bucks play, given it's Al McGuire Court (much like the MOA field at the Metrodome). I've been to many Marquette games with my dad (alum) and it's never really near capacity.

Sorry, not usually one for correcting people but that was just plain false.

I'm not a president of a University and neither are the people I'm talking about basketball with. In terms of fan competition quantity is greater than quality when it comes to attendance.

Is this supposed to make sense? "Fan competition?" What is that exactly? "Quantity is greater than quality?" Quality of what?

I think it's interesting that Forbes rates the Gophers as the 17th "most valuable team" in NCAA basketball.

You missed the point. Their non conf. SOS is based on the neutral site tournaments. They rarely bring a decent (forget excellent) team into the barn.

Top Bottom