2011?

Go Gophs eh?

Reaction score
Offer Joe Coleman SG, Paul Jasperson SG/SF, Ross Travis SF, Shelby Moats PF?
My question is, how many SGs/SFs do we need? And are we not offerring Travis or Moats because it seems we are looking at like 3 SGs right now and we already offered Coleman. Are these guys backup plans or what?

First of all, I think you have to consider the fact that ratings on ESPN/Rivals/Scout all vary.
On Rivals, Devoe and Ralph were both 4-star guys in the top 15 of their respective positions.

You also have to look at offers, it's in the same boat as what one would do when looking at a football player's ranking.
Finally, the ratings for the 2008 guys are FINALIZED, let's wait and see what they're ranked at the end of the Spring signing period this time next year.

Your question on the scholarship situation is intriguing. I've also been wondering how this all will work out. We have 3 scholarships to fill with next year's class, with an OBVIOUS need at PG. Then, you would think we would have to round out the class with a SG and a PF.

Now, one scholarship remains up-in-the-air due to the Royce situation, so that leaves 2 spots to fill. Obviously Joe has first priority at SG. So, will we honestly offer Jesperson or Travis or Moats? I think we would be dumb to not get a quality PG in this class.

To me it appears that the Gopher staff wants Coleman and Jesperson at least, I think the main question is who is #3 in the class? Could it be Moats, Travis or Tyler?

In my opinion Tyler makes less sense since we got Maverick for this class and same goes for Moats with Oto considering they are very similar prospects. I am curious to see what Travis does this summer as he probably has the highest ceiling from Minnesota not named Joe Coleman

Who's the third scholarship leaving you guys reference? Nolen, Hoffarber, and Royce's banked scholarship?

Given the weak recruiting class from this year, I'd expect at least one player will see the writing on the wall that playing time will be limited and leave (like Cobbs). I'd expect the Gophs to have at least 4 available scholarships next year.

To me it appears that the Gopher staff wants Coleman and Jesperson at least, I think the main question is who is #3 in the class? Could it be Moats, Travis or Tyler?

In my opinion Tyler makes less sense since we got Maverick for this class and same goes for Moats with Oto considering they are very similar prospects. I am curious to see what Travis does this summer as he probably has the highest ceiling from Minnesota not named Joe Coleman
This is likely.

Maybe what they'll do is try and lock-up Jesperson and Coleman. Then, stay in talks with some guys throughout the year and depending on what the coaches see from the team we'll go that route.

But, we could be in a serious pickle at PG if Royce wants to come back and both Jesperson and Coleman commit.

I just posted some thoughts that pertain to this in another thread. I see the Gophers as absolutely having to use one of the 3 scholarships on a pg (and they must get a good one). Then, the other two scholarships need to go between wing players and power forward.

Offer Joe Coleman SG, Paul Jasperson SG/SF, Ross Travis SF, Shelby Moats PF?
My question is, how many SGs/SFs do we need? And are we not offerring Travis or Moats because it seems we are looking at like 3 SGs right now and we already offered Coleman. Are these guys backup plans or what?

I want to say the Gophers are also recuiting Brendan Dawson from Gary, IN. He is ranked a top 15 prospect by almost everyone. He is Painter's priority 1A, 1B, 1C, 2A, 2B, 2C, etc.

So saying all of that if Tubby decides not to recuit him that would be great.

I want to say the Gophers are also recuiting Brendan Dawson from Gary, IN. He is ranked a top 15 prospect by almost everyone. He is Painter's priority 1A, 1B, 1C, 2A, 2B, 2C, etc.

So saying all of that if Tubby decides not to recuit him that would be great.

I don't think Dawson is considering Minnesota:

"Dawson has a solid list of schools: Purdue, Michigan State, Indiana, Marquette, UCLA and Georgetown. He said that they are "all equal" and that he likely won't make a decision on a school until next spring."

http://jodydemling.courier-journal.com/

IMO I suspect Royce to be one and done, if so he wouldn't hurt our 2011 scholarships at all. So we can bank it or see Royce in Maroon and Gold for a year, What Royce needs to do is enroll in summer school on his own dime and show Tubby how serious he is about returning.

Top Bottom