The Jimmy Williams trial begins tomorrow

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Shama has this small tid-bit:

"Gophers athletic director Joel Maturi will be with basketball coach Tubby Smith tomorrow when the Jimmy Williams trial begins in front of Hennepin County Judge Regina Chu. Maturi said he’s set aside the remainder of this week and all of next for the jury trial involving Williams’ contention that he was offered an assistant coaching job with the Gophers in 2007."

http://www.shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Wow:

Jimmy Williams' witness list includes Kevin McHale, Flip Saunders in case against Tubby Smith, Gophers
By Brian Murphy
Updated: 05/12/2010 02:18:18 PM CDT

An all-star lineup could parade through a Minneapolis courthouse when trial opens Thursday in Jimmy Williams' lawsuit against the University of Minnesota and men's head basketball coach Tubby Smith.

Former Gophers and Timberwolves coaches Flip Saunders and Kevin McHale are among 23 witnesses Williams might call to testify on his behalf, according to court documents.

Williams is suing Smith and the university's Board of Regents in Hennepin County.

He alleges Smith committed fraud by offering him an assistant coaching job in April 2007 only to have athletics director Joel Maturi block the hire because of NCAA violations Williams committed during a previous coaching stint at Minnesota in the 1970s and '80s.

Williams, who was in the second year of a three-year contract at Oklahoma State, resigned and sold his house so he could join Smith's staff.

The university, which also represents Smith, denies the allegations and maintains Maturi has ultimate hiring authority.

Williams wants to call Saunders and McHale as character witnesses and to corroborate his claim that Smith offered him the job.

Also on the list of potential witnesses: Maturi, Smith, his assistants Ron Jirsa, Vince Taylor and Saul Smith; former Oklahoma State coach Eddie Sutton; former Gophers head coach Jim Dutcher; and former U.S. Rep. Jim Ramstad of Minnetonka.

Jury selection is scheduled to begin this afternoon before Judge Regina Chu.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_15070470

Go Gophers!!

Jimmy Williams really does not want to work in coaching again I guess. Seems like the kind of move that would keep schools from ever getting involved. Maybe he'll get some kind of settlement out of it. Interesting.

from the STRIB

Jimmy Williams' lawsuit against the U goes to trial

Last update: May 14, 2010 - 12:34 AM

Opening arguments are expected Friday in the civil trial brought by Jimmy Williams, the former assistant basketball coach at the University of Minnesota who has sued the U and coach Tubby Smith claiming that they reneged on an offer to hire him in 2007. Jury selection in the trial began Thursday.

Williams sued in June 2009 for more than $50,000 in damages for alleged fraud and negligent misrepresentation, claiming that he gave up a job as an assistant coach at Oklahoma State based on the offer of a $200,000-a-year job to assist Smith.

Williams said that he quit his job and planned to move to Minnesota but that his hiring was denied by Gophers athletic director Joel Maturi in April 2007.

Williams claimed his hiring was overruled by Maturi because of NCAA violations committed while Williams was with the Gophers in the 1970s.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/g...cyaiUjc8LDyiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

===========
Tubby mentioned that distractions outside of basketball were a big factor in this year's team performance. Many think that the distractions that Tubby was talking about all centered around the Trevor Mbakwe and Royce White legal issues and the academic/personal issues with Al Nolen's 2nd semester eligibility.

I wonder if the Jimmy Williams trial has been perhaps the most distracting issue for Tubby personally. Williams filed suit in June 2009. Tubby is the head of the National Association of Basketball Coaches at the time. I am sure there is a lot of stress going to court and especially being named as the defendant in the lawsuit by a fellow member of the coaches basketball community.

I am surprised that the University has not settled this case out of court prior to going to trial.

I think this is the expanded version from the May 12th article.

There's a lot more information in this one as well as insight into Maturi's thinking.

A who's who of local basketball lore could parade through a Minneapolis courthouse once trial commences today in Jimmy Williams' lawsuit against the University of Minnesota and men's basketball coach Tubby Smith.

Former Gophers and Timberwolves coaches Flip Saunders and Kevin McHale are among 23 witnesses who might be asked to corroborate Williams' claim that Smith offered him an assistant coaching position in April 2007.

Williams is suing Smith and the Board of Regents in a case pitting two veteran coaches against each other in what essentially is a he-said, he-said dispute that will require a Hennepin County jury to sift through the program's sordid past.

He accuses Smith of fraud and misrepresenting a job offer hours before athletics director Joel Maturi vetoed any employment because of NCAA violations Williams committed during a previous coaching stint at Minnesota in the 1970s and '80s.

Still under contract at Oklahoma State, Williams resigned after talking to Smith and eventually sold his Stillwater, Okla., house in anticipation of rejoining the Gophers.

But Smith never offered Williams the job, the university says. Regardless, Maturi has ultimate hiring authority.

Besides Smith and Maturi, Williams plans to have testify Minnesota assistant coaches Ron Jirsa, Vince Taylor and Saul Smith; former Oklahoma State coach Eddie Sutton; former Gophers head coach Jim Dutcher; and former Minnesota Congressman Jim Ramstad.

Williams, who has been out of college coaching the past three years while developing amateur players at a basketball camp in Houston, is seeking unspecified damages.
"I have lived a great part of my life in Minnesota and come to know people of this state and have all the confidence in the world that the people who make up this jury will be just," Williams said Wednesday.

A confident general counsel Mark Rotenberg characterized Williams' charges as a "misunderstanding" and said the university hoped the case could be resolved without a trial.

Rotenberg noted that of Williams' 11 original claims, only two survived pre-trial challenges and that his shifting legal theories only recently accused Smith of fraud.

"This case is a pale shadow of what Mr. Williams alleged has happened," he said. "What's left is a case built on a misunderstanding that occurred in a 14-minute telephone call, at night, in an airport, three years ago when Tubby was returning from a visit with his gravely ill father.

"It's unfortunate it has gone on this long."

Williams' claims hinge on a series of telephone conversations he had with Smith during and after the 2007 Final Four, when Smith was assembling his staff.

According to court documents, Smith knew Williams was a Gophers assistant from 1971-86 and had experience recruiting in the Midwest, which would help Smith transition to Minnesota after coaching for decades in the South.

On April 2, 2007, Williams faxed his resume to Smith's office, and the two talked that evening about Williams coming to Minnesota. Smith indicated he could offer an annual salary of $175,000, plus $25,000 for running Smith's basketball camp, to match Williams' Oklahoma State salary, according to deposition transcripts.

"(Smith) asked me (whether) I was ready to come to Minnesota, and I kind of told him, 'yeah,' and he said, 'Well, I'm offering you the job, and I can get you the salary that you talked about,' " Williams testified in December 2007.

"And then (Smith) asked me, 'do you accept the job?' And I told him, 'yes, I do.' "

Ninety-minutes later, Williams testified, he called Oklahoma State coach Sean Sutton to resign from the final year of his contract with the Cowboys.

The next morning, Smith called Williams and said Maturi would have to approve the hiring but he did not anticipate any issues. The two even discussed a planned recruiting trip to Houston, Williams testified.

That afternoon, Williams' troubled past in Minnesota came back to haunt him.

A compliance officer for Minnesota e-mailed Maturi NCAA reports of recruiting violations for which Williams was cited in 1976 under head coach Bill Musselman and in 1988 under Dutcher.

They included providing prospects with financial aid, airline tickets, clothing and meals. Williams was barred from recruiting for two years while the men's program was placed on two years' probation.

Maturi immediately telephoned Smith, who was unaware of the seriousness of the violations, and told him hiring Williams was out of the question, the athletics director testified in a deposition.

Less than seven years after NCAA sanctions from the academic fraud scandal decimated the program, Maturi was acutely sensitive to the political risks of justifying Williams' return and the baggage he carries.

"We are talking about a men's basketball program that has had a history of social ills, a history of NCAA violations, a history of misconduct and incidents ... (that) certainly had an awful lot to do with the depths of the program in the last couple of years," Maturi testified in 2007.

"I did not believe it was the right thing to start this new era of Minnesota basketball with one of the most highly respected coaches in America to have someone on the staff with a known listing of violations that occurred, let alone occurred while at the University of Minnesota.

"And when coach Smith and I had that discussion, he agreed."

Judge Regina Chu must determine whether Williams' history of NCAA violations is relevant for the jury to consider.

To prevail, Williams must prove Smith falsely represented a job offer that prompted him to resign from Oklahoma State and that Williams suffered monetary damages because of it.

"Jimmy has always wanted nothing more than to get the job he was hired to do," said his attorney, Richard Hunegs. "He never wanted to sue for money. He wanted to work for money."

One thing both sides can agree on: Williams will never work for Smith or the University of Minnesota again.

I must have missed that article.

I never will understand how the news works sometimes. Actually, the article that Bleed posted was either a previous or shortened version of the one I posted, from the 12th as well.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_15074772?nclick_check=1

As you can see though the latter one is much more informative. Certainly, you would think that the information reported in the second one would have been available in the first.

The list of witnesses that Williams intends to call seems odd. Tubby, Maturi and the present Gopher coaches will all say no offer was ever made. I'm not sure what Jim Dutcher would have to add, except to possibly opine that Williams is a good coach, which is not relevant to whether there was an offer. I have no idea of what fromer Rep. Ramstad would have to say.

This really does look like a case that should have been resolved long ago.

It sounds to me like another interesting DEBACLE happening for anyone and everyone to have at it with.

Jimmy Williams really does not want to work in coaching again I guess. Seems like the kind of move that would keep schools from ever getting involved. Maybe he'll get some kind of settlement out of it. Interesting.

This just doesn't make sense to me - he's suing for 50K - which is about 1/4 of a year's salary for him...and this has been going on for almost 3 years now. Is it really worth it? If he indeed, does just want to coach, this sounds like the wrong way of going about it.

I don't know about you all, but if I get a job offer I wait until I've passed the background check, drug test, etc, before I even think of giving my notice at my current job...not 90 minutes after a verbal offer. I guess I never trust a verbal offer either, I need to see it in writing, and even that is contingent on passing all of the background checks.

I tend to believe Jimmy Williams was probably offered the job by Tubby and had every right to believe he was moving back to Minnesota. He did the right thing by resigning from Oklahoma State as quickly as possible so that they could move on and look for another assistant with an impressive recruiting background. I would guess that when coaches of the stature of Tubby Smith offer an assistant a job, they don't assume that the power coach is going to be overruled. I am skeptical of whether Jimmy Williams can prove he was offered the job, or if that it even matters that he was offered the job by Tubby Smith, since Tubby does not have authority to make hires. I wish we had Jimmy Williams on staff now, I know a lot of people were very excited about the prospects of him coming back to the Twin Cities.

I tend to believe Jimmy Williams was probably offered the job by Tubby and had every right to believe he was moving back to Minnesota. He did the right thing by resigning from Oklahoma State as quickly as possible so that they could move on and look for another assistant with an impressive recruiting background. I would guess that when coaches of the stature of Tubby Smith offer an assistant a job, they don't assume that the power coach is going to be overruled. I am skeptical of whether Jimmy Williams can prove he was offered the job, or if that it even matters that he was offered the job by Tubby Smith, since Tubby does not have authority to make hires. I wish we had Jimmy Williams on staff now, I know a lot of people were very excited about the prospects of him coming back to the Twin Cities.

I know we lost out on Cory Joseph and signed a couple of guys named Oto and Maverick, but be a little rational here. He resigned 90 minutes later so Oklahoma State could start start looking for a replacement that evening? He's working for Eddie Sutton, for cripes sake, which alone makes me wonder. Also, Williams might have an impressive recruiting background because of the following lines?

"A compliance officer for Minnesota e-mailed Maturi NCAA reports of recruiting violations for which Williams was cited in 1976 under head coach Bill Musselman and in 1988 under Dutcher.

They included providing prospects with financial aid, airline tickets, clothing and meals. Williams was barred from recruiting for two years while the men's program was placed on two years' probation."

Like GopherLady said, "This just doesn't make sense." Of all of the questionable moves Williams has made, having Kevin McHale testify on your behalf might be the dumbest. If one of the few Wolves fans left is on the jury, Jimmy is screwed.

Top Bottom