Hole Poll: What is the ideal model for Big Ten expansion?

Pitt, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Missouri.

I don't want any part of Rutgers. Yes they are in a large market area, but they get very little media coverage and NJ, NY Philly people couldn't care less about them. Are they going to pay more or demand their local providers add the Big Ten Newtwork with all the sports they already have available?

In a perfect world (obviously my primary interest is basketball), if they expand to 16:

Missouri
Notre Dame (top priority in any scenario)
Pitt
Syracuse
UConn

I like the tradition of the conference and vote for ND only. However, I can read the writing on the wall. I really don't want a 16-team conference, which would destroy whatever the Big Ten ever was. But I think I'll have to live with at least 14.

To me, that makes ND, Nebraska and Missouri the best options, based on geography, tradition and academics. Without ND I can live with Pitt, since Penn State has expanded the geographical reach of the conference.

Other than a flat-out money grab and TV sets, I don't see how Rutgers, UConn or Syracuse belong. But, of course, that's what this is all about.

If you believe the rumors, they want ND, Nebraska, Mizzou and Rutgers to apply for membership. So does ND join or not? If not, they may stay at 14 for a while and see how things shake out - maybe the changes to the Big East & Big 12 would cause ND and/or Texas becoming more interested. If not, I still don't think Syracuse or UConn will really be wanted. Maybe Pitt, but I think they're more interested in trying to get 2 of the 3 schools Andy Katz reported the other day, which he said was according to a source with direct knowledge of the situation - Maryland, Georgia Tech and Vanderbilt.

I would add just 3...

in order of priority...

1) Notre Dame
2) Missouri
3) Nebraska

If they had to go to 16 then....Pitt and Oklahoma

Top Bottom