2013. The Next Legit Gopher Ranked Recruiting Class

it's pretty early to know on any of those kids if they will end up being legit top 100 players. Strong is by far the top in that group, Shanks could be the next big Center from MN but has yet to prove it on the court when it counts, and Riley has a long ways to go. The other name of interest on that list is the son of one of our coaches.

it's pretty early to know on any of those kids if they will end up being legit top 100 players. Strong is by far the top in that group, Shanks could be the next big Center from MN but has yet to prove it on the court when it counts, and Riley has a long ways to go. The other name of interest on that list is the son of one of our coaches.

As you can see on the link both Dearring and Strong are predicted to be ESPNU top 100 players, and I give Dearring the edge because he has the height, length, and plays lock down D. I haven't seen Strong play, but I have seen Dearring and he is good for a freshman playing on the best team in the state, playing 6th man at that.

The Gophers need a highly regarded class in '11 badly.

The Dearing hype needs to stop. He may very well develop into a fine player. But he got unfairly propped up by the Star Tribune piece. He's a good player, may be a great player, but has a ways to go before he gets there.

nice...until MN curse takes its course. One will get sick...one will move...one will rob a bank...and one will join the army.

Since you got me looking at ESPN rankings... what about the classes before that?
2011 has 6 MN players rated 90 or above, and that's not including 89 rated Tom Schalk and 88 rated Estan Tyler (seems low from the way he's talked about).

2012 has Zierden and Woodard who are apparently solid prospects plus maybe Chambers. Not to mention possible out of state recruits for both classes, although I wouldn't be surprised if 2011 is all MN players (depending on available scholarships).

Riley Dearring, Darrion Strong, 7ft freshman Carson Shanks, and more.
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recr...&status=null&toggle=null&pos=null&season=2013

I really hope Trevor ends up being able to play. I haven't seen Noreen play but I feel like we're going to regret not offering him if he leaves and we have no Trevor. Obviously I don't really know much about him, but it's just a gut feeling from being a MN fan and seeing players leave and be solid players elsewhere so often. Noreen's offers on rivals/scout now include Arkansas, Boston College, Clemson, Indiana, Northwestern, Oklahoma, Providence, Colorado, Dequesne, Marquette, St. Louis, UTEP, Washington State, and possibly more coming in since he recently reopened his recruitment.

As you can see on the link both Dearring and Strong are predicted to be ESPNU top 100 players, and I give Dearring the edge because he has the height, length, and plays lock down D. I haven't seen Strong play, but I have seen Dearring and he is good for a freshman playing on the best team in the state, playing 6th man at that.

Ummm.....Playing 6th man on the 2nd best team in the state. Johnson keeps the title of "Best team in the state" thank you very much.

You give one kid the edge over the other because you haven't seen him play? First off, not sure it matters who gets the edge. I've seen both play numerous times. Dearing is VERY skinny and that is affecting his ability to get into the lane and finish. Nice jumper and a decent handle.

Strong is a SG and will need to grow a few more inches to make a major impact or at least develop his PG skills. Very quick and a great finisher from the right side.

Shanks is about 220 and his growth areas are strength, game play etc. From a skill standpoint, he is great in the gym with very nice footwork but as was previously posted needs to prove it on the court during games.

Eisenchenk has nice strength and a great motor. Transitioning to the wing is key for his BB growth. Plays more 4 during the year and at 6'4 (legit) getting out on the floor where he moves well will be key.

Lynch is a great defender and moves well. His offensive game lags behind his defensive game at this point.

Taylor is generously listed at 5'9. Nice handle. Plays 16U during the summer and handles himself pretty well. Big question will he still be in Mn in 3 years?

Others I'd add to this list?

Quentin Hooker - Park Center
Nick Anderson - Washburn

2013 Prospect

Have anybody heard of a freshman named Andre Bauswell 6'4 forward who goes to Columbia Heights High School?

I really hope Trevor ends up being able to play. I haven't seen Noreen play but I feel like we're going to regret not offering him if he leaves and we have no Trevor. Obviously I don't really know much about him, but it's just a gut feeling from being a MN fan and seeing players leave and be solid players elsewhere so often. Noreen's offers on rivals/scout now include Arkansas, Boston College, Clemson, Indiana, Northwestern, Oklahoma, Providence, Colorado, Dequesne, Marquette, St. Louis, UTEP, Washington State, and possibly more coming in since he recently reopened his recruitment.

I understand your concern, but there is nothing to worry about with Noreen. He is overhyped on the national seen. Locally, I think everyone knows he's not major college material. Minnesota had the beat on him and could evaluate him the easiest and most in-depth, yet the Gophers still didn't offer him a scholarship. That should say something.

I've seen him play several times and once with someone who didn't know who Noreen was. After the game, I asked my friend: "What did you think about that big guy?" He said: "What big guy?"

Locally, I think everyone knows he's not major college material.

Wow - so "everyone" knows better than the coaching staffs of Northwestern, Arkansas, Iowa St, Iowa, Oklahoma, Boston College, and Providence? Kudos to "everyone" on their advanced recruiting acumen.

Minnesota had the beat on him and could evaluate him the easiest and most in-depth, yet the Gophers still didn't offer him a scholarship. That should say something.

Yes, what it means is that Tubby didn't feel he fit into his system. When players are at a certain level, it doesn't matter whether or not they fit - they're good enough for it to not make a difference. Most anyone would agree that Noreen is not at that level. That doesn't mean that he's not a quality prospect or not "major college material". The fact that he holds, at minimum, 7 BCS-level offers is enough to render that opinion completely stupid.

Wow - so "everyone" knows better than the coaching staffs of Northwestern, Arkansas, Iowa St, Iowa, Oklahoma, Boston College, and Providence? Kudos to "everyone" on their advanced recruiting acumen.

What he wrote was "Locally, everyone knows..." I don't believe any of the schools you listed are "local".

Yes, what it means is that Tubby didn't feel he fit into his system. When players are at a certain level, it doesn't matter whether or not they fit - they're good enough for it to not make a difference. Most anyone would agree that Noreen is not at that level. That doesn't mean that he's not a quality prospect or not "major college material". The fact that he holds, at minimum, 7 BCS-level offers is enough to render that opinion completely stupid.

Locally, there is very little hype surrounding this kid. On a national scene, yes, he's a 4-star prospect with some major offers (like you stated). But again, there are many people in the Twin Cities that don't think he's a 4-star caliber prospect.
I disagree about that comment about him not fitting in Tubby's system too. So you are saying Elliot Elliason and Colton Iverson fit Tubby's system, but Noreen doesn't? Noreen's size and skill-set can be compared to those players. Besides, if Noreen was good enough, Tubby would have found a place for him.

Now, did I call your opinion "stupid"? No, it's called a discussion, but you decided to insult. Gotta love it!!!!

There currently is NOT a player on the gopher roster like Noreen. I understand the bias that works against him as the competition he played against in Mn was HORRIBLE for the most part. However, I've had the opportunity to watch him the past two years on the circuit and there were many games against the highest levels of competition he flat stood out.

Should NC offer him (which is reportedly close to occuring) and the Gophers do not, that'll appear to be a huge miss by Tubby. My guess is he get's offered soon by Tubby and he'll accept it because he wants to stay near home.

Noreen isn't a player without flaws by any means (needs to increase footwork etc) to guard a 3 on the floor but he is so versatile it would be a miss in my opinion for the gophers to not offer him.

Don't put too much stock if NC offers Noreen. NC is desperate to put a jersey on a big man after the Wear twins left. The Wear twins transferred to UCLA....something very very fishy there.........

Desperate to put a jersey on a big man....I'm not even sure what to think about that comment. It's the University of North Carolina!!!!!!!!! Not a mid major D1. If NC offers Noreen it's because he can play not because he fits the jersey.

Wow.

I'm sure you're probably right, it's just that so many years of seeing MN players develop into very good players in basically every sport once they play elsewhere has made me paranoid.

I understand your concern, but there is nothing to worry about with Noreen. He is overhyped on the national seen. Locally, I think everyone knows he's not major college material. Minnesota had the beat on him and could evaluate him the easiest and most in-depth, yet the Gophers still didn't offer him a scholarship. That should say something.

I've seen him play several times and once with someone who didn't know who Noreen was. After the game, I asked my friend: "What did you think about that big guy?" He said: "What big guy?"

Not sure if anyone posted this, but Riley Dearing is now transferring to De La Salle...seems odd that he'd make that move now.

Not sure if anyone posted this, but Riley Dearing is now transferring to De La Salle...seems odd that he'd make that move now.

Is weird, but then again he knows he can shine at De La Salle when the hopkins show is run by Joe Coleman and Marvin Singleton. Plus Novak is a dbag and I wouldn't be surprised if Dearring is turned off by him.

Is weird, but then again he knows he can shine at De La Salle when the hopkins show is run by Joe Coleman and Marvin Singleton. Plus Novak is a dbag and I wouldn't be surprised if Dearring is turned off by him.

Have you met him?

Does anyone know if he's going to have to sit out a year? Or is his reason for transferring good enough to be eligible to play right away? I forget how transferring works exactly in high school.

Dearing's dad played at DeLaSalle so this wasn't a totally unexpected move, and everybody is entitled to there own opinion but definately count me in the pro Novak corner, never been anything but a great guy when I've been around him and his dad at many different events. Now Thorson, well that's a different stroy but probably not meant for a message board.

heights guys

there are a few interesting players in the columbia heights 2013 class andre bauswell 6'4" but plays way bigger, loves banging in the low post. christian esko 6'6" plays the 4 and is very atheletic. two very underrated guards in deon sanstead and jamar boone both improv type guys with good iq and amazing handles. interesting to see how this group pans out.i know theyve played together since they were very young .think they are all in the magic program this summer.

Heights Boys

You wouldnt happen Know where they play at this week, would you??

heights guys

spoke with them at heights gym they are at colin powell this weekend , they play for magic blue 15u games at 11 am and 3pm check them out if u get a chance

Top Bottom