Rivals scout: Joe Coleman putting himself on the 2011 map, on his way to 4star status

ShowinGoldyLove

Reaction score
A few comments from Eric Bossi out of Kansas City (Rivals scout) watching Joe Coleman tonight at the Sabes tourney...

"Its all Joe Coleman all the time at the Sabes Invite. Young man is launching a one man assault on the rims and wearing it out from deep."

"Joe Coleman a powerful 6-3 SG for Howard Pulley is putting himself on the 2011 map. Deep range*n explosive athlete."

And here is his write up...Coleman is blowing up on the recruiting scene this off-season:

Minneapolis Wing Explodes In Front Of Home Crowd

We first got a look at 6-foot-3, maybe 6-foot-4, shooting guard Joe Coleman of Howard Pulley Blue back in April at the first session of the Nike Elite Youth Basketball League/Boo Williams. At Boo, the looked to be a lean, strong and explosive slasher who could play above the rim.

Friday night, Coleman was all of that and much, much more. He spotted up for kick-out passes and swished home deep jumpers from either wing. He took weaker defenders into the high post and killed them with turnaround jumpers and when all else failed, he drove to the cup and tried to dunk on anybody in his way as violently as possible.

If what we saw Friday night is the real Joe Coleman and he can replicate anything close to this type of effort against good competition, then he could be well on his way to four star status. Regardless of ranking, he's a guy who is making the jump to the next level with his game and Midwestern high majors should be tracking him quite closely.

Link

That commitment can't come soon enough. It's too bad he isn't taller. I won't get too greedy though.

Hopefully. It would be a little odd to have a brother who's THAT much taller.

I hope he does too. If he doesn't, then who knows, maybe he will get his ball handling and shooting down enough to be a legit shooting guard. We'll see what happens. Either way I want him to be a Gopher.

amazing how getting the one extra star will change the opinion of Joe as a recruit to some.

I've wanted him to be a Gopher all along. He has been a boarderline 3-star/4-star player in my eyes for a while.

Joe Coleman reminds me of Jared Bayless.

I've always wanted him to be a gopher. I won't lie though, it makes it a little bit more exciting to hear an evaluator raving about him.

amazing how getting the one extra star will change the opinion of Joe as a recruit to some.

I wasn't really pointing fingers at anyone in this thread, just an overall observation. I know about 10 years ago when I was much younger, I was the same way in judging recruits based on what kind of national rankings they got but as you get older you just start to realize some things and use those stars less and less in you evaluations. They are still fun and somewhat useful but I won't change my opinion or excitment level on Joe Coleman just because he is a four star kid vs. a three star. Same goes for ESPN number's, they are one person's opinion of where they project that recruit.

If I had the time to watch high school prospects in person, I would be less inclined to pay attention to the number of stars. But, as long as I have to make a living for myself, I am stuck relying on the professionals...and if evaluators seem to think that he has moved from a three to a four star player, I'm going to take that as something to get excited about.

Top Bottom