Royce White to Kentucky?

Never going to happen. He'd have to sit out another year if he transferred...

Never going to happen. He'd have to sit out another year if he transferred...

It is going to happen in the next month guaranteed. I hope it isn't Kentucky, but it will be a big name school.

He probably only has to sit out till January 1st. That will be his one year away from the U.

It is going to happen in the next month guaranteed. I hope it isn't Kentucky, but it will be a big name school.

He probably only has to sit out till January 1st. That will be his one year away from the U.

If it happens, he'll have to make it happen quickly, because I think he'll need to take a boatload of summer school if he wants to be eligible by January 1st, 2011, with a transfer year counted. It looks like first session of summer school at Kentucky starts on Tuesday.

Well if Maturi doesn't let him back on the team, what choice does he have?

Maybe he should have stayed in school and worked his butt off to get back on the team. Trevor seems to have no problem doing that.

Maturi didn't force him to leave school.

Don't see it happening

IMO it would be best for Royce to leave Minneapolis and play elsewhere. However his problem here seems to be his reluctance to extract himself from the "local scene" and commit totally to the U and the team. That same reluctance to give up his place in the local scene may well prevent him from going to Kentucky, UCLA, or the NBA Development league. It may be that basketball is not at the top of his list right now.

I don't think being away from the U for one year (btw, January 1st would not equal one year, anyway) is a relevant factor here. There are potential exceptions and this can get a bit complicated, but I would think (outside of all other potential issues he would face in getting eligible) he would need to be at the new school for one year, as defined, before being eligible to complete.

If he enrolled at a D1 school in the next few months, I don't think he'd be able to play until the start of the 2011-12 season. Maybe there's some other angle he could pursue (didn't play a second - but that was the coach's decision, so I can't see any argument there), but I'm not seeing one.

NCAA bylaw 14.5.1:

14.5.1 Residence Requirement—General Principle. A student who transfers (see Bylaw 14.5.2) to a member institution from any collegiate institution is required to complete one full academic year of residence at the certifying institution before being eligible to compete for or to receive travel expenses from the member institution (see Bylaw 16.8.1.2), unless the student satisfies the applicable transfer requirements or qualifies for an exception as set forth in this bylaw.

Whatever choice Royce makes will most likely be the wrong one.

Maybe he should have stayed in school and worked his butt off to get back on the team. Trevor seems to have no problem doing that.

Maturi didn't force him to leave school.

Its my understanding Royce had been doing well in school, but he had to deal with two legal cases, one that was legitimate and one that was BS and he wasn't getting any support from Maturi. It is my understanding that Tubby would have let Royce play after serving a suspension of 3-12 games, but Maturi got hardnosed and used the BS trespass charges as an excuse to keep Royce out.

I don't know why you praise Trevor while you attack Royce. Trevor has been charged with a far more serious crime. Trevor is being charged with felony assault and the accuser says she's 100% sure he is the culprit and the prosecutor obviously thinks they have a good case against Trevor. I don't know if he did the crime or not but Trevor flying to Minnesota right after this happened makes it not look too good.

Its my understanding Royce had been doing well in school, but he had to deal with two legal cases, one that was legitimate and one that was BS and he wasn't getting any support from Maturi. It is my understanding that Tubby would have let Royce play after serving a suspension of 3-12 games, but Maturi got hardnosed and used the BS trespass charges as an excuse to keep Royce out.

I don't know why you praise Trevor while you attack Royce. Trevor has been charged with a far more serious crime. Trevor is being charged with felony assault and the accuser says she's 100% sure he is the culprit and the prosecutor obviously thinks they have a good case against Trevor. I don't know if he did the crime or not but Trevor flying to Minnesota right after this happened makes it not look too good.

I'd say your understanding falls well short of full knowledge. Granted, I don't know everything either, but some things are clear. Royce has shown no interest in leaving behind his crew and that's where 99% of his problems start. And at this point, there doesn't seem anyway he could stay here in MN and do that. Problem for him is, no matter how well he does at basketball, his posse will follow and more trouble will ensue. I'm not saying it is easy to make that break, but many other athletes have successfully done so.

On the other hand, Trevor has begrudingly done what was asked of him. Yes he is charged with a serious crime and he's either guilty or innocent, which we'll make a decision on what to do once that is decided. But he hasn't walked out on the school and he's still worked and been a part of the team. For all the flack many here gave Trevor prior to him coming here (switching schools every year, lack of comittment), his actions lately show more maturity.

And who got himself involved in those two legal cases - not Maturi, not Tubby - Royce. I'm sorry but I don't feel sorry for this guy at all. He had the world right in front of him and he screws up not once (which could be understood as a stupid kid mistake) but TWICE!

I don't know if Trevor is innocent or guilty but I do know what he has been doing since he was suspended from the team. He has been praised by everybody associated with the team for handling this with maturity and dignity. Royce cuts and runs from his teammates and his school and as you said above for much lesser charges than Trevor is facing.

I doubt Maturi sits at his desk and comes up with ways to keep Royce off the team. Just because this kid is an almighty 5 star player doesn't make what he did any more stupid.

Just for the record - I want him to come back because I think he needs Tubby a lot more than we need him on the court.

Royce and coach Sleaze. That'll be a match made in heaven.

I'm all for giving Royce another chance, but I think if it was in the cards it would have happened by now. I'll be surprised if he ever plays for a single minute for a BCS-level team. Either way, as long as this was Tubby's call and not Dithering Joel's, I'm OK with it however it ends up.

I imagine the first priority in Royce's search is to find a school where he'll feel safe on campus.

Royce isn't going anywhere. His issue has never been with the Gophers nor Tubby in particular. In fact, he loves coach and his now former team mates.

His issue is and has always been his priorities. As in, does he prefer to continue to flirt with music or be a basketball player (at all).

So let's dial this thing back to reality.

And who got himself involved in those two legal cases - not Maturi, not Tubby - Royce. I'm sorry but I don't feel sorry for this guy at all. He had the world right in front of him and he screws up not once (which could be understood as a stupid kid mistake) but TWICE!

I don't know if Trevor is innocent or guilty but I do know what he has been doing since he was suspended from the team. He has been praised by everybody associated with the team for handling this with maturity and dignity. Royce cuts and runs from his teammates and his school and as you said above for much lesser charges than Trevor is facing.

I doubt Maturi sits at his desk and comes up with ways to keep Royce off the team. Just because this kid is an almighty 5 star player doesn't make what he did any more stupid.

Just for the record - I want him to come back because I think he needs Tubby a lot more than we need him on the court.

Very well stated

An updated tweet from Myron:

"I'm told Royce White "narrowing in" on Kentucky. Mutual interest. Guy wants to go pro. Calipari sends guys to the pros early. Makes sense."

Go Gophers!!

An updated tweet from Myron:

"I'm told Royce White "narrowing in" on Kentucky. Mutual interest. Guy wants to go pro. Calipari sends guys to the pros early. Makes sense."

Go Gophers!!
Well, based on the complete lack of activity regarding anything at the U (signing up for classes, summer school, summer league teams, etc.), I really wouldn't be surprised at this point if he does end up going to a school like Kentucky.

Its time to move on from this saga....

As Coach Dale said.. "My team is on the floor"

Its time to move on from this saga....

Lol. How many times did we think it was over until it reared it's ugly head again?

It'll never be over. Even when we think it's over and he's playing somewhere else it won't be over.

Well, based on the complete lack of activity regarding anything at the U (signing up for classes, summer school, summer league teams, etc.), I really wouldn't be surprised at this point if he does end up going to a school like Kentucky.

If he chooses UK, he won't be eligible to play in 2010-11 season. The earliest he could "go pro" would be 2012 NBA draft. And that's a stretch.

If he chooses UK, he won't be eligible to play in 2010-11 season. The earliest he could "go pro" would be 2012 NBA draft. And that's a stretch.

The chances are slim of (a) Calipari still being around for the 2011-2012 season, (b) Kentucky not being on probation by then, and (c) White not doing something else foolish to make him ineligible.

couldn't he technically "go pro" anytime now? He has sat out one year after High School. Granted his draft stock probably goes up if he plays at least a year of college ball.

Lol. How many times did we think it was over until it reared it's ugly head again?

It'll never be over. Even when we think it's over and he's playing somewhere else it won't be over.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Top Bottom